New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

I'm thinking about trading my 7D and 1D II for a 1D III and some cash(or 50 f/1.4). But I'm not entirely convinced it will be best for me. Sports is the majority of what I shoot, which is why I would like a 1D III. The thing that I'm worried about is the ISO capabilities. I shoot almost all high school sports and would indoor be a problem? I also use it as a every day camera so would I see a problem with the ISO there? How big are the differences?

Jun 05, 2013 at 03:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

Well, you won't know what's best for you until you try it, eh?

I used a pair of 1DII for sports and etc. for a couple of years, and then traded up to a 7D and 1DIII. I much preferred the 1DIII. It had slightly but consistently better AF, better IQ on a per-image basis (i.e. no cropping), and the 1DIII high ISO performance was more-or-less the same as the 7D. IOW, they're both fine up to about 1600. The 1DIII is probably better at 3200, but no great shakes. A few years ago, I sold both of them to help pay for a 1DIV.

The 7D has better 'reach' and more pixels per duck (ppd), but if you're generally not "focal length limited", as you probably aren't if the 1DII has sufficient "reach" for you, then go for the 1DIII. If you want to compare cropped images, the 7D has a lot more pixels, but doesn't take cropping very well (I didn't say anything about noise, did I?). OTOH, the 1DIII runs out of pixels pretty fast, if you start cropping. IOW, neither is a great choice if you think you'll need to crop.

Also, the 1DIII battery performance and overall user interface are real improvements over the 1DII, and consistent with newer cameras (1DIV and 1DX, although the 1DX is different, again).

OTOH, there's nothing like shooting with two cameras.

P.S. you'll get more from selling the 7D... I'm just sayin'

Edited on Jun 05, 2013 at 04:26 PM · View previous versions

Jun 05, 2013 at 04:21 PM
austin.grant
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

1DIII all the way.

Jun 05, 2013 at 04:24 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1188539/0?keyword=7d,to,1d#11334075

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:18 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

jcolwell wrote:
... more pixels per duck (ppd)...

Heh. That's a good one.

Jun 06, 2013 at 10:13 AM
canonguy4ever

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

You won't have any regrets at all going to a 1DIII as long as it has had all the AF fixes done to it.

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:02 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

Documented my same experience in this thread. It's worth a read.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1197821/0?keyword=7d,anxiety#11421210

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Mr645
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

I would take the 1DII over a 7D unless you need the file size. The 1DIII is a no brainer IMHO

Jun 06, 2013 at 03:57 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

I'd go 1D3 for what you intend judging by having used a 7D and a 5D3 and briefly 1D2n and what I've heard first hand and read about 1D3. For surfing the 7D was amazing, great reach and AF like a pro, but for other stuff like soccer it seemed kinda shaky to me and often no better than a 50D. I never did get to try the 7D at basketball though.

I guess one thing would be how do you think the 7D handles the sports you shoot and how you shoot them compared to your 1D2? If it seems to often not match up then 1D3 for sure, if it does work for you then not sure there is a point in the 1D3.

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:49 PM
Kenneth Ho

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

I'd definitely go 1d3 from the 7d. I sold my 7d off maybe 2 months back and don't regret the decision one bit. Yes, you lose some resolution, but unless you need video, you really won't regret the move.

Jun 06, 2013 at 10:14 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

7D vs 1D3 using DPP on the raw images, and resizing the 1D3 up to match the 7D.

The "reach" advantage of the 7D vs 1D3, then the 7D cropped, and the 1D3 cropped to match and resized up. (7d on top on both)

The 7D and 1D3 at sporting events, both at ISO 6400.. I have used them both side by side, the 1D3 ends up being a bit sharper overall, which allows the noise reduction to leave a bit cleaner image, but then if you need large files for posters, etc, the 1D3 is a bit lacking in that department.

Jun 07, 2013 at 03:57 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

Did you forget to use chroma NR on the 1D3 shot of the doll? I notice no chroma in the 7D shot. Anyway nice examples.

Jun 09, 2013 at 08:55 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

Really think you've answered your own question. Especially if you think about it from a going forward perspective. The 1D3 is reasonably limited in ISO capability vs the IV. Yes, the 3 can get the job done but in a number of conditions you will be pushing it vs the the expanded ability of the IV. I would recommend you consider the IV which most likely could be your main body for a significantly longer timeframe. JMTC

Matt

Jun 09, 2013 at 09:55 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

cputeq wrote:
Did you forget to use chroma NR on the 1D3 shot of the doll? I notice no chroma in the 7D shot. Anyway nice examples.

That is the difference in NR values between the 2 cameras that Canon outlines in one of their firmware tables. The 1D3 only has on/off settings, where the 7D has 4 different settings, and the 1D3 has very conservative values as compared to the 7D. The 6D has even more aggressive values.

Jun 09, 2013 at 07:49 PM
goneballistic

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

I own both cameras right now. I *MUCH* prefer the IDIII over the 7D. when I have to shoot with the 7D I get frustrated by the slower shutter, and the AF isn't as fast or as accurate.

the ISO performance seems to be about even. the 7D is maybe 1 stop better, but I can NR the 1DIII files a lot more without a lot of degredation.

I shoot mostly baseball, but shoot at night under lights a lot. I still shoot up to ISO 3200 and can NR the heck out of the files so like the IDIII better.

last, the ID Body just feels better. the integrated vert grip vs the strap on is better. it's bigger which fits my giant hands better. Also I feel like I am always swapping batteries on the 7D. the 1DIII batteries go forever. I like them a lot more.

I just like it more.

you won't be disappointed if you switched to IDIII

Jun 23, 2013 at 05:22 PM
rcheliphotog
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Possibly going from 7D to a 1D III

Funny you're considering to move from 7D to 1D III. Just last week I was considering selling my 1D III for a friend's 7D. My reasoning was that since the 1D III was a backup, it'd be nice to have the smaller form factor and extra MP. I borrowed the 7D for a day and I much preferred the 1D III to it. As others have said, slightly better AF, better noise performance at low and high ISOs, and honest to god I like the bulk of the 1D cameras. The extra cropping ability of the 7D was nice, but not worth the other trade offs in my opinion.

Jun 23, 2013 at 07:51 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.