Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-olympus-will-now-share-the-5-axis-stabilization-system-with-sony/

Jun 05, 2013 at 02:06 PM
JimUe
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

how much difference is there between oly's IBIS and Sony's IBIS?

Edited on Jun 05, 2013 at 02:14 PM · View previous versions

Jun 05, 2013 at 02:13 PM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

I hope they will apply that to NEX system.

Jun 05, 2013 at 02:13 PM
Sagar
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

Sony should just release 24M APSC NEX - E-M5 and let Olympus design lenses for NEX. That would be an awsome combination and can really eat low level DSLR market

Jun 05, 2013 at 02:18 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

JimUe wrote:
how much difference is there between oly's IBIS and Sony's IBIS?

Depends on the Sony. Sony's IBIS in the 6/7/9 series bodies is comparable to the IBIS in the E-System and Pen bodies (except the E-P5) and quite good. The low-end Sony IBIS might as well not be there (ie the IBIS in the A33/35/37/55, not sure which the 57 and 58 have). The 5-axis IBIS in the E-M5 and E-P5 is significantly better than any Sony body and actually outperforms lens IS out to medium telephoto's.

Jun 05, 2013 at 02:36 PM
shogo73

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

JimUe

The Olypmus implementation lets you see the stabilized image in the viewfinder and LCD. Just like in the OIS in the Canon cameras with in-lens-stabilizer.

The Sony way won't let you see the stabilized image before the shots. Making it harder to place the focus points on the subject.

Jun 05, 2013 at 02:37 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

shogo73 wrote:
JimUe

The Olypmus implementation lets you see the stabilized image in the viewfinder and LCD. Just like in the OIS in the Canon cameras with in-lens-stabilizer.

The Sony way won't let you see the stabilized image before the shots. Making it harder to place the focus points on the subject.

That's just a software switch, not IBIS implementation-related (the Oly allows a choice of IBIS activation on metering/AF start or at shutter release)

Jun 05, 2013 at 02:49 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

Will be on NEX FF .

ytwong wrote:
I hope they will apply that to NEX system.

Jun 05, 2013 at 02:55 PM
shogo73

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

mawz,

I see. That make sense about the software switch.

Jun 05, 2013 at 03:06 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

I think it's fair to say that the 5-axis IBIS was a huge selling feature for the OM-D, so much so that it has allowed its price to stay much closer to its original list vs the huge discount other MFT bodies have seen. That level of stabilization in a FF MILC would bring Sony a market hit on par with the NEX-5N.

Jun 05, 2013 at 04:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

sweet if it's true! though i doubt it'll end up in the NEX cameras.

Jun 05, 2013 at 04:58 PM
you2
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

I wonder if sony will get oympus anti-dust system.

Jun 05, 2013 at 05:19 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

you2 wrote:
I wonder if sony will get oympus anti-dust system.

+1, needed more than the IBIS IMHO. My NEX-7 definitely was a lot more dust-prone than my OM-D is.

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:41 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

sebboh wrote:
sweet if it's true! though i doubt it'll end up in the NEX cameras.

I'm hopeful it will end up in the FF, but not counting on it. If they do a 36MP-version of the a99 (a9?), I'm guessing it'll end up in there.

Regardless, I do hope they take a cue from Oly and let the user program the focal length.

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:59 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

mawz wrote:
+1, needed more than the IBIS IMHO. My NEX-7 definitely was a lot more dust-prone than my OM-D is.

The a900 was very effective at eliminating dust, even if it felt like you were holding a paint mixer during its shutdown process.

Oly's dust reduction system has been good at least since the EP1, but I haven't had a problem with the 7, and I am not at all careful about where and when I change lenses (as my dust-reductionless and kind of filthy GXR+M can attest).

Jun 06, 2013 at 02:06 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

kewlcanon wrote:
Will be on NEX FF .

I want both FF and APSC NEX

Jun 06, 2013 at 02:33 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

Dust is a much larger matter for high Mp mirrorless and the coming FF models will have 2.25 the sensor area of APS-C to attract dust onto, so any improvement will indeed be welcomed. The near future holds higher Mp cameras, adding to the sense of urgency.

Dust removal is a major problem for ILC digital cameras used in the field. I suspect this is one factor behind the growing popularity of fixed lens cameras for travel etc., often used in jpeg mode. Merrills, RXs, Fuji, new Leica most likely, more on the way.

Better IBIS will greatly assist high Mp and high density cameras, and now Sony have started to imagine themselves as serious players at the top end of the market, they have a big plus over C/N in IBIS...and so their (and everybody elses' alt) lenses fit better with the new 'smaller/lighter is better' design concept.

Jun 06, 2013 at 03:11 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

If Sony goes this route I hope the next generation of the 5-axis IBIS will be able to handle shutter shocks. That problem was one (minor) reason to sell the E-M5 for me. It doesn't help with 16, 24 or 36MP if the image is blurry. I would appreciate a rumour about electronic curtains more.

Jun 06, 2013 at 08:00 AM
you2
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

Is shutter shock an issue if the future is electronic shutters (ala gh3) ?

Jonas B wrote:
If Sony goes this route I hope the next generation of the 5-axis IBIS will be able to handle shutter shocks. That problem was one (minor) reason to sell the E-M5 for me. It doesn't help with 16, 24 or 36MP if the image is blurry. I would appreciate a rumour about electronic curtains more.

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · FT4: Sony will get Olympus IBIS

I don't know how the Panasonic GH3 works but I don't think it has a global electronic shutter. But, no, if the sensor electronically takes care about everything the traditional shutter does there will be no shutter shock problem. Getting rid of the first curtain seem most important and some cameras (but not at all shutter speeds) are there today already.

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:45 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password