New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Displaying photos on a monitor

russdenney01
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Displaying photos on a monitor

I am going to be buying a 27" computer monitor to display my photos on and I have question...

I don't want to have to connect a large, full fledged computer to this thing to load the photos on. Does anyone know of any thumb drive or similar discrete method to output the photos to a monitor?

Thanks,

Russ

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:50 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Displaying photos on a monitor

Hi Russ,

Not sure what your budget is but a refurb/used 27" circa 2010-11 iMac will offer you the same panel as the old NEC WUXI2 used and offer you a spare computer to use in the ~$1,500-and-under range...yes, I use my 27" 2011 iMac as my travel monitor! Not the solution you were looking for, just a slightly different consideration for your needs. Hope this helps!

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:26 AM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Displaying photos on a monitor

Hmmm..interesting...

I am looking for something to hang on a wall...can you hang an imac on the wall?

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:29 AM
bboule
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Displaying photos on a monitor

You want a computer if you actually want the images to look good. Lots of TVs and such can display the photos off a thumb drive but you'll have no way to calibrate the screen or get it to look anywhere close to good.

I can stick my 5D3 into my samsung TV with the HDMI cable, the TV then decides it knows better how to display photos, and it will proceed to unsharp mask and auto-brightness/auto-contrast/whatever the picture until it looks like trash. It is amazing just how bad it looks.

Computer monitors generally just do a 1:1 display and show exactly what they are told to display.

A cheaper/more flexible way to go is to get a really inexpensive Mac-Mini or similar PC and hang that on the back of the monitor and then hang the monitor on the wall. That way you get your choice of a good display.

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:38 AM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Displaying photos on a monitor

Understood.

It was my plan to use a computer monitor and not a flat panel TV.

Thanks.

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:59 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Displaying photos on a monitor

Most monitors are a simple "dumb" display and need a host computer in order to generate a graphic display. Jimmy's suggestion of removing the stand and handing an iMac on the wall is the nearest to an all-in-one solution. You'll still need to run cables for power and use a wireless keyboard and mouse to set it up. Mine shipped with an IR remote to trigger movies, slideshows, etc.

The Mini is the smallest Mac and is also a good solution if you want to use a dumb display.

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:33 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Displaying photos on a monitor

russdenney01 wrote:
Hmmm..interesting...

I am looking for something to hang on a wall...can you hang an imac on the wall?

Yes:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TJ540LL/A/bretford-mobilepro-wall-mount?fnode=5b3abcc454654c56a0e1d775d3d6376d8a000ca2f8eb8018a98a9df7811d8f05a74a2bee895728422b6849e7c383053db057b41315123f5b5afa7c9322df356f

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:59 AM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Displaying photos on a monitor

Drive the monitor with a Rasberry Pi which is a really small and cheap computer.

http://www.raspberrypi.org

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Raspberry-Pi-Media-Panel-fka-Digita/

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:41 AM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Displaying photos on a monitor

A while ago I went looking for something similar and found things like this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/110853903148

Sorry for the eBay link, that's where I found them. I have no idea how well they work, as I ended up with some other solution (just a digital photo frame).

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM
snowboardracer

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Displaying photos on a monitor

Hi Russ! I have an LG 27" IPS monitor hanging in my kitchen acting as a digital photo frame. I contemplated and researched this for a while. In short, I ended up with a WD TV--it works great!

You can use a raspberry pi and load XBMC on it, but it seemed too much to maintain for my liking. I considered a very small pc like an Asus EeeBox but didn't want the power draw as well as the maintenance.

I have a WD TV and it works great! 1080p, wifi for pulling photos off my NAS and USB if you'd rather have that option. Plays a slideshow continually and doesn't skip a beat. You can pick them up at your local electronics store. Good luck!

Jun 17, 2013 at 02:35 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.