Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Is this normal? - Need tripod advice

pmiller228

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is this normal? - Need tripod advice

I've just bought my first supposedly decent tripod. I bought the sirui n-2004 and sirui k-30x head.

I picked this model for it's reversing leg design and 18" folded length so it would be easy to take along with me regardless of what I want to use it for.

My first impression is the head seems great but the legs not so much. It holds the weight of my camera fine but any slight pressure (even carefully hitting the shutter) causes the legs to twist enough to get shake with a 50mm. This is with 10 lbs hanging from the column. It's even less stable with no weight.

Is this to be expected with a compact lightweight tripod? Or is this thing just junk?

I am mounting a d700 w/grip and my heaviest lens is a 70-200 f2.8

Jun 05, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is this normal? - Need tripod advice

hhhmmm...even with 10lbs hanging sounds like a structurally weak design, I have a $180 Manfrotto from Best Buy that seems very solid, never have to hang weight and I have the same camera and lenses you do

Jun 05, 2013 at 01:22 PM
pmiller228

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is this normal? - Need tripod advice

Do you happen to know the model#?

Jun 05, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Jason_Brook
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is this normal? - Need tripod advice

Honestly, I'd say it's expected with tripods like that. Unless it has massive tubes, aluminum tripods seem to be very "springy" at least in my experience.

Jun 05, 2013 at 02:51 PM
pmiller228

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is this normal? - Need tripod advice

Well I just ordered a benro A3580f. I'll see how that is in a couple days. It's heavier and bigger but it'll have to do until I can get what I really want.

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:24 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is this normal? - Need tripod advice

I don't have any experience with your model but the design sounds a bit whack. I have a couple small CF "travel" tripods from Gitzo and Manfrotto and they are very stable for a DSLR and medium sized lens. No problem taking sharp short or long exposures (no counterweight). Albeit if I bother to use a tripod I normally use a remote so I don't bump or shake the rig.

Now that I checked on your model, I see that it is metal. If you can swing carbon fiber it is less prone to transmitting vibration than metal and settles more quickly after a bump.

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pmiller228

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is this normal? - Need tripod advice

I cant swing carbon fiber right now.. I think the metal in the sirui is just too lightweight to make it lighter. If it were 3 sections instead of 4 it would probably be ok. Hopefully the benro works out!

Eventually I'll get a columnless fiesol

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:00 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is this normal? - Need tripod advice

This is the reference-standard in this class of tripod, and it weighs the same as the Benro you ordered.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/504845-REG/Manfrotto_055XPROB_055XPROB_Aluminum_Tripod_Legs.html

Very well-made, very durable, easy to source parts for, and also somewhat easy to pick up on the used market for $100 or less. I've still got mine, after more than several Gitzo's and now RRS tripods, but because of its weight I only use it at home.

For a 70-200/2.8, you need a stable tripod, and most in the "travel" class will be lacking in that area.

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:54 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is this normal? - Need tripod advice

sorry for the late reply, see you ordered one but this is mine and I'm really satisfied with it.. I'm 6'3" and I can stand upright and look thru the viewfinder

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Manfrotto---71.3%22-Tripod-with-3-Way-Head/2097772.p?id=1218309760527&skuId=2097772#tab=overview

Jun 06, 2013 at 03:24 AM
pmiller228

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is this normal? - Need tripod advice

Thanks for the help guys. The manfrotto 055XB is my next try. I was on the fence to get it but got the benro because it came with spikes and a decent bag and closed a bit smaller. I love my manfrotto light stands so I'd expect the quality to be similar.

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:02 PM
ScottHM
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is this normal? - Need tripod advice

I have the carbon version of the benro that you have, can't really say how the aluminum one will stack up, but if it's made to the same standards I think you'll be pretty happy with it. I actually got it to replace the 055XB

Jun 07, 2013 at 12:10 AM
pmiller228

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is this normal? - Need tripod advice

My first impression of this benro is that it seems great. It's way way more stable than my first try. I think it's a keeper

The sirui head still seems great too. Not a bad setup at all for about $300 all together.

I wish it were a little more compact but it'll fit in a suitcase so good enough.

Jun 08, 2013 at 12:42 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password