Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Does raw have you interested in making video?

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Does raw have you interested in making video?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I can barely get through processing stills I'm still finding stuff from 2007 I've missed.

I'm still finding stuff from 2004 .

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:04 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Does raw have you interested in making video?

Man the video on it is just amazing now though! Stunning!
Still can't over how good it is!

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:57 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Does raw have you interested in making video?

skibum5 wrote:
I'm still finding stuff from 2004 .

I think I finished 2004,2005 and 2006 and 2007 is drawing close to an end, but 2008-2012 ...

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:19 PM
jimmy462
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Does raw have you interested in making video?

danb121 wrote:
240fps 2K... sound like you should look at the phantom , not a cheap option either

I don't shoot video, I'm a stills person but I tested the blackmagic camera at our motion control studio and it worked well, blackmagic also have a new 4K version coming out in July as well as a £600 MFT camera that has sent tounges wagging

Well, IMHO, Phantom is going to need to reassess it's market space over the next few years as there already exists high frame rate (read: slow motion) camera solutions currently chewing around at their base. I mentioned Sony's FS-700 as a prime example of a mature platform which already offers Full-HD shooting at up to 240fps out-the-door...

Review of Sony NEX FS700 Part 1: Slow motion and first impressions on Vimeo:

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

...the leap to my desired 2K 422 at those frame rates is a small jump from there. And it will use all my EOS-mount glass straight out-of-the-box with no adapters. And, as an added bonus, since the chip is Super 35 the 1.5x crop factor will turn my 300-800mm f/5.6 into a 450-1200mm, great for my birding and nature shooting. The downside of that camera for me is size+weight=bulk...for those catering to a higher end market for their output this camera currently competes well for the pro-shooter.

Heck, talking about SloMo, even the P&S crowd can now buy cameras with 120fps 720P (and 240fps in 640x480P.)..

Lumix FZ200 Ultra Slow Motion! 120 FPS, 240 FPS! - YouTube:

...a feature noticeably lacking in the entire Canon lineup. That Panasonic P&S, BTW, sports a 25-600mm equivalent powerzoom at f/2.8 throughout its range. As a birding wildlife imager results like this video...

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ200 Birds in Wildlife [Hungary] - YouTube:

...have gotten my attention as a light-weight solution/alternative to some of my heavier gear.

Where I'm thinking this is going is this...BlackMagic is currently leading the charge with small form-factor and affordable 2K-4K solutions. And the consumer end of the market, believe it or not, is leading the charge in volume sales of small form-factor cameras with ever-increasing feature sets. And I believe that the marketing departments of the camera manufacturers are going to do what they do best...follow the money. I say, "more power to the indie film market, more power to the indie advertising markets and more power to the consumer markets"...the dollars from this iMovie/FCPX crowd (market) will, I believe, help drive the development of manageable 2K into consumer hands. The fringe market for this technology will be folks like me looking to take this gear off-the-beaten-path to do what I do...and I'll gladly accept being a side-line crumb catcher for this tech!

And, methinks, the DSLR departments throughout the industry are paying attention to all of these doings. There is a lot of money in glass sales and protecting that income stream, I'm sure, is something they would prefer not to gamble away. Whether it be twin-line offerings, like Canon is trying to establish with their Cinema EOS, or DSLR's with more robust video capabilities, we'll have to wait and see. Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see the BlackMagic "model" prevail over the next few years with the DSLR manufacturers following suit...namely, "capability-specific bodies to suit your needs and glass". With the DSLR makers wanting that to read, "...your needs and our glass!" IMHO, DSLR's need to adapt or die in this environment, it's not just about picture taking anymore.

However it plays out, exciting times, indeed.

Jun 05, 2013 at 10:09 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.