New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 1Dx switching cards

mt-m
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1Dx switching cards

So is there a way to keep 1Dx from switching from card 1 to card 2 every time the card 1 is removed?

Example: I turn off the camera and take card 1 out to download images. After I reinsert the card 1 and turn the camera on, it has already switched to card 2. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Record func+card/folder del. is set to standard.

Firmware is 1.2.4

Thanks!

Jun 04, 2013 at 07:08 PM
mt-m
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1Dx switching cards

I realize that if you don't close the card door while card 1 is out this doesn't happen. But is this the only way to prevent it?

Jun 04, 2013 at 07:16 PM
super35
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1Dx switching cards

Yes, not closing the door is the only way to prevent a card switch. The 5D3 does the same thing. I too wish there was an option to turn automatic card switch off. A minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience nonetheless.

Jun 04, 2013 at 07:36 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1Dx switching cards

The only other way around this that I have found is to keep slot 2 empty, but I realize that might not be desirable (kind of defeats the purpose of having dual card slots).

Jun 04, 2013 at 07:40 PM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1Dx switching cards

I set mine up to record to multiple, it will still switch over but only for tagging or voice memo.

Jun 04, 2013 at 07:55 PM
mt-m
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1Dx switching cards

the funny thing is that according to Canon one of the fixes in the 1.0.6 firmware was this:

"Fixes the following phenomenon: if two CF cards are inserted into the camera and the "Standard" or "Auto switch card" settings is selected for the recording method for [Record func+card/folder sel.], and then one of the CF cards is removed and then reinserted into the card slot, the card selected for recording and playing back images may be switched to the other CF Card."

Isn't it exactly the behavior we are talking about?

Jun 04, 2013 at 08:14 PM
Gust
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1Dx switching cards

working always with 2 cards in the X, I don't shut the door [were the slots are behind]
after downloading, push the card in and close the door.
fix

Jun 05, 2013 at 03:10 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1Dx switching cards

does it do it if you turn the camera off before you remove the card and insert a card into the vacant slot before turning on again?

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1Dx switching cards

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
does it do it if you turn the camera off before you remove the card and insert a card into the vacant slot before turning on again?

You should read the OP again.

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:18 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1Dx switching cards

jcolwell wrote:
You should read the OP again.

oops

OK what about taking the battery out then removing the card ? (not ideal i know)

also (i cant remember as its a while since i had my mk2n) did any of the older 1 series cameras do this as well? if they didnt it seems odd that canon have set things up this way now

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:21 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1Dx switching cards

Doesn't matter to me, at least on the 1DX. Like Jim Cowsert - I write to both cards.

OTOH, like Guus; I leave the door open on my 1DIV*, while downloading the CF card. I use the SD card for those rare times when the CF card gets full and I don't have time to reload. Plus, when I forget to leave the door open while downloading the CF card.

* I do this on my 1DX, too (like Guus), because I never know when I might need to use both cards, without dupes.

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:30 PM
mt-m
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1Dx switching cards

Both my 1Ds MkII and 1D MkIIn are gone now and I never really used the SD card slot on them, so don't know how they handled dual card configuration.

On the 1Dx I really just want the second slot to be "storage" for the spare card. So I guess I'll just have to keep the door open when the card is out

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:42 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1Dx switching cards

mt-m wrote:
So is there a way to keep 1Dx from switching from card 1 to card 2 every time the card 1 is removed?

I am curious: what do you want the camera to do? You remove card 1, close the door, and the camera still has card 1 selected as the active slot? Does that make sense?

Then you press the shutter: what happens then? Does it switch then? Does it refuse to take the picture?

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand what you want to happen. The current 1DX behavior was the state of the art since the 1D2 and I never knew it was wrong.

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:57 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1Dx switching cards

I also think it would be very strange if the camera should select the empty card 1 slot !!! Then you would not get any pics if starting to shoot again without inserting a card in that slot.
(it takes about two seconds to change cards with the buttons )

1. You only have to leave the door open and you get what you want
2. Just move the second card one cm back when you remove the first and you also get what you want.

Jun 06, 2013 at 02:00 AM
mt-m
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1Dx switching cards

Stan, ideally I'd want a configuration option where the camera would stay on active card and only switch to another if active card is full. If the shutter is pressed when the active card is out - then yes, the camera should switch to the populated card slot. So the shutter would be the defining action, not the door close.

10 years ago I wouldn't care at all, but now that I need reading glasses but have not yet developed a habit to always have them with me, having to squint at another tiny symbol to check the card selected is annoying

Jun 06, 2013 at 06:15 AM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1Dx switching cards

my 1D2n and 1D4 does the same thing

Jun 06, 2013 at 06:33 AM
Monkey Falls
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1Dx switching cards

stanj wrote:
The current 1DX behavior was the state of the art since the 1D2 and I never knew it was wrong.

This is not the same behavior as 1DIII and 1DIV. With those cameras, it only switches to the other card if the camera is either on while removing the card or if the camera is turned back on before a card is re-inserted into the slot. I make a point of not turning on the camera again until I have reinserted the card, specifically so that it won't switch to the other card.

With the 1DX it doesn't matter if the camera is turned off. Whenever I remove card 1 it switches to card 2. I don't like that behavior and I wish that it was like the 1DIII and 1DIV.

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:34 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1Dx switching cards

How difficult can it be to set the camera to the card you like to use. It's a two second thing. Or remove both cards and it will not switch.

Jun 06, 2013 at 02:03 PM
mt-m
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1Dx switching cards

I didn't say it was particularly difficult, just wondering if there was an option I missed

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1Dx switching cards

mt-m wrote:
I didn't say it was particularly difficult, just wondering if there was an option I missed

Yes remove both cards and it will not change slot

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:58 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.