Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

After talking with a few photog friends, I've realized that everyone approaches shoots differently. When I first started shooting, I would plan shots out of fear that I wouldn't get anything good enough. Now, I simply enjoy the shoot and let it flow with whatever ideas come to mind based on the location/lighting and subject. That being said, I do sometimes realize that I have missed great opportunities because I didn't think out bigger ideas ahead of time.

So what do you do? Do you plan creative shots for weddings, engagements, and bridals or do you simply come up with your ideas on the fly?

To clarify: I'm not talking about your typical fare, but your more artistically creative work.

Jun 04, 2013 at 05:12 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

I'm an on-the-fly guy. I plan almost nothing. If I get somewhere early, I'll scout and envision some things, but that's kind of rare. The main thing to me is to let the true story play a role. I don't like creating the story. I like watching it unfold. This goes for creative work as well for me.

Jun 04, 2013 at 06:00 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

Yes

Jun 04, 2013 at 08:23 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

We used to plan, but the things we planned never ended up happening and we judged ourselves based on whether or not we executed the plan instead of paying attention to what was actually happening. Now we might scout a bit and know what the situation is so we know what to fall back on but we mostly go with the moment.

- trr

Jun 04, 2013 at 08:28 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

Both.

I need to do it more. So easy to fall into old patterns.

Jun 04, 2013 at 08:32 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

on the fly.

Jun 04, 2013 at 08:34 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

I do what is necessary. Depends on the couple, venue, other stuff.

Jun 04, 2013 at 08:55 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

Mostly on the fly.

Jun 04, 2013 at 09:06 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

On the fly for the most part, but I try not to approach anything blindly. While I don't typically plan specific shots in advance, I will scout venues ahead of time just to get a quick idea of areas I'd like to use and to see how the light falls at the time of day we're going to be there. Scouting also helps me figure out travel times to areas and driving routes I'm not familiar with.

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:04 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

maxwell1295 wrote:
On the fly for the most part, but I try not to approach anything blindly. While I don't typically plan specific shots in advance, I will scout venues ahead of time just to get a quick idea of areas I'd like to use and to see how the light falls at the time of day we're going to be there. Scouting also helps me figure out travel times to areas and driving routes I'm not familiar with.

This ^^^^^ mostly.

I do try to plan shots but those are things I want to try after 'safe' shot is captured.
Otherwise it it is create on the fly.... but also let your self slow down to be creative too.

Slowing down can seem counter intuitive ... but it helps me.
(Slowing down is not the entire day just in particular moments.)

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:18 AM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

I try to go into each shoot with a general idea of what I'm looking for. Though in reality most of the shots don't happen and I just go with the flow.

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:28 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

It helps to be familiar with the location's nicer areas...but since available time changes during the wedding and each couple is different in personality, plans often change if any are set in the beginning...

But I may walk by an area here or there that absolutely tells me to "get x shot here" and it sometimes comes to pass just that way.

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:34 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

thebeginning wrote:
To clarify: I'm not talking about your typical fare, but your more artistically creative work.

Both. I ask where we will be going and do some quick research and see whats going on around the location. I will plan a few shots out but then when I am there and in the middle of a shot, I see something that just spins my head off in a creative direction.

Example.... This past weekend I was shooting a wedding in front of a colorful barn. I was just about done and ready to move on when I said I needed just one more shot of the groom by himself over by a rusty wall I saw. As I was posing him I saw his wife do something very simple. Walk by and give him a look then leaned against a wooden beat up door. Yea that got my creative juices flowing and we spent another 30 minutes doing fun stuff

A tip I have for others that ask me how I do it. get your safe shots. You know, the shots the bride and groom need and want. Then just get creative and experiment. Go outside the box. get different angles, lighting, or whatever. If tis gonna happen, it will just happen. Just see stuff. Stop looking at the scene as a location to shoot and start seeing final products in real time Maybe thats just the acid talking lol

Jun 05, 2013 at 11:12 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

Experience teaches you what to expect. I have an idea of what I want going into an assignment and you can't plan for everything but for the most part I know what's going to happen, and where to be when it does to get the best image I can. So while I do plan on taking certain shots I don't plan them out and I work with I see.

Jun 05, 2013 at 12:03 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you plan shots or create on the fly?

I plan on the fly

Jun 05, 2013 at 01:40 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.