Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!
B&H Photo just got the Sigma USB Dock for Canon-mount lenses in stock.
Price: $59

The Dock is compatible with the newly released lenses:

Sigma USB Dock with 120-300mm f/2.8 Sport

Jun 04, 2013 at 02:50 PM
austin.grant
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

Got my USB dock and Sigma 35 arriving Thursday!

Jun 04, 2013 at 03:03 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

Again, this is for the two listed lenses only and only if any of them is not performing to specs, correct? Is this a way for Sigma not to do the calibration at the service center, tying up their technicians then? In addition, they charge extra for the dock, too . Somehow that reminds me to the situation back then when a lot of folks resisted back then when both Canon and Nikon introduced the micro-focus adjustment feature in the newer cameras....Well, at least that feature was built-in into the camera.

Jun 04, 2013 at 04:19 PM
austin.grant
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

I LOVE my Canon L glass, but even they sometimes require slightly different AFMA values for different focus distances. Combine that with the L zooms, which often require slightly different AFMA values for different zoom positions as well as different focus distances. They are typically very close, but the ability to tweak it would be nice.

Sigma just gave us that ability. Well, that and many more cool customization options. I suppose simple and okay works for some people, but I choose options and perfection. I'll do a writeup after some testing this weekend.

Jun 04, 2013 at 04:31 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

I think they should have just included it with the lens.

Jun 04, 2013 at 05:11 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

Trying to understand why this technology would not work on Canon lenses as well.

Jun 04, 2013 at 05:23 PM
stan23
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

Jeffrey wrote:
Trying to understand why this technology would not work on Canon lenses as well.

Probably because these new Sigma lenses has specific chip to talk to the dock.

Jun 04, 2013 at 05:40 PM
engel001
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

Jeffrey wrote:

I believe you will be able to update Canon lens firmware when mounted on a Canon camera directly. If I go into the menu system of my 5D III and mount my 28-70 L II, the lens firmware version is listed. From there it is probably a small step to update lens firmware from the camera and, ultimately, reprogram the lens yourself. Now this will only work with Canon lenses on Canon bodies, so Sigma (and others) needed to find another way. Tamron, for example, may need to follow with their own dock.

Jun 04, 2013 at 06:06 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

Has anyone actually used the dock yet? Is it effective?

Jun 04, 2013 at 06:53 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

engel001 wrote:
I believe you will be able to update Canon lens firmware when mounted on a Canon camera directly. If I go into the menu system of my 5D III and mount my 28-70 L II, the lens firmware version is listed. From there it is probably a small step to update lens firmware from the camera and, ultimately, reprogram the lens yourself. Now this will only work with Canon lenses on Canon bodies, so Sigma (and others) needed to find another way. Tamron, for example, may need to follow with their own dock.

Is this a 5D3 specific feature? I have never seen a lens firmware version anywhere in my 1DX menu system.

Jun 04, 2013 at 08:05 PM
engel001
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

It's an option together with the camera firmware. You can toggle between camera and lens and update either one from that menu. Updating lens firmware from the camera opens up the future possibility to program the lens performance individually, I would speculate.

Jun 04, 2013 at 08:24 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

Ah, so it's not something you can see normally. Only when you run the FW update.

Jun 04, 2013 at 09:18 PM
Arob1000
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

Is Adorama going to carry this? I have some $$ there and would rather go through them.

Jun 04, 2013 at 09:37 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

Jeffrey wrote:

Canon still wants to keep control of their lens calibration software. There is no technical reason as to why they could not do it.

Jun 04, 2013 at 09:47 PM
Mpking
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

I think the dock will be a great item to pick up used. I'd imagine that some will buy it, use it to adjust their lenses and then realize there isn't too much reason to hang on to it anymore. If I had one of the lenses the dock worked with, I'd sure as heck buy a used one to try it out and then sell it for close to the same $s.

Jun 05, 2013 at 03:57 AM
austin.grant
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

Mpking wrote:
I think the dock will be a great item to pick up used. I'd imagine that some will buy it, use it to adjust their lenses and then realize there isn't too much reason to hang on to it anymore. If I had one of the lenses the dock worked with, I'd sure as heck buy a used one to try it out and then sell it for close to the same $s.

I don't think so. That'd be like buying a pump for your bicycle tires, airing them up once and then selling the pump. No, at $60 I think it's the perfect price to hang on to. Parts wear, so future lens tweaks are imminent. Also, it can update lens firmware. Oh, and if you're shooting a sports lens, it'd be cool to quickly throw new settings onto the lens to match the shooting environment of the day.

As long as I've got a compatible lens, I'm keeping my USB dock. Based on current Buy and Sell trends, any used ones would likely be priced at or above the price of a used (refurbished) one directly from Sigma.

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:06 AM
bboule
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

ggreene wrote:
Is this a 5D3 specific feature? I have never seen a lens firmware version anywhere in my 1DX menu system.

I ran into this recently.. my guess is only certain lenses (new designs?) have firmware that can be updated. I saw it when I stuck my new 35 f/2 IS on my 5D3, it is there. I don't recall ever seeing it with any of my other lenses, some of which aren't *that* old designs. (e.x. the 24-105 f/4L IS)

When people wonder why new lenses might cost so much more, this is it. If they've gotten complicated enough that they have updateable firmware/software running inside the lens that is going to add a lot of cost as it means there are some engineers somewhere at Canon designing/specing those chips and some other engineers writing that software.

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:34 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

So, am I crazy, or did anyone else wonder about whether it would be possible for them to toss a sensor in that bad boy and have a b****in' L-glass webcam?!

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:19 AM
Photonic
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

I get the benefit of supporting software updates but I am still trying to wrap my head around doing focus adjustments on the lens. First, it seems far more logical to MFA the body to the lens allowing you to seamlessly use the lens on different bodies. Each body remembers the MFA settings rather than having to download new setting via USB with every body change. Second, unless there is something very clever in the supplied software it seems it is going to be a very tedious process to narrow in on the right values needed for the focus adjustment switching between mounting the lens on the camera and the dock on the lens. Would love to hear how this works when someone gets a copy.

I am very pleased with the direction on recent Sigma lenses (killer IQ, robust build quality, more attention to QC) but am reserving the right to view this USB dongle as little more than a marketing invention. Fine tuning the focus limiter for a days shooting? Really! What happens if you want to make a change in the field? Sigma needed the ability to update software to overcome concerns about the need to re-chip lenses in the event a new body was incompatible. Once they had the interface I think they got a little carried away, probably to help justify charging such a premium for the 120-300mm f/2.8 "S" model which is based on the same internal optics as the last generation with an industrial design makeover.

Jun 05, 2013 at 10:44 AM
austin.grant
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma USB Dock in Stock for $59!

MFA to the body will still be required, but the USB dock overcomes problems associated with that. For example, say you want to use this lens on a Rebel. You've got no MFA! Problem solved. Also, as I mentioned earlier, many lenses (including my L glass) require a slightly different MFA at different focus distances. You use the USB dock to correct for that in lens, so that the MFA required would be constant. Problem solved.

Each camera body will still require it's own MFA for the lens, but the focus results should be much more consistent. Canon implemented a basic version of this with the Wide and Tele MFA values in the 5D3 and 1DX, so they know it's an issue. Sigma is giving us the tools to address it.

As for changing the "S" Lens model custom settings on the fly, the lens actually has a "Custom Mode" switch for said settings. Flip it off, and the lens is back to normal performance (while retaining any AFMA data you've programmed).

Jun 05, 2013 at 10:59 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.