Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

morby
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

Bartlett Pair wrote:
Hey Morby, that's pretty impressive that you take one weekend off a month and don't work Sundays and yet have 31 weddings between May/Oct. Hats off to you for such strong rules to promote a healthy work/life balance! It must be super tough to turn down tempting leads at fancy venues...though I assume you pass the leads around?

It's really tough to turn down weddings, especially in the moment. I'm always thankful that I did once the year gets rolling. I just shot 7 weddings in 5 weeks and have this coming weekend off, and I'm really looking forward to it. I do have a handful of local photographers that I share leads with. It's been mutually beneficial!

Truthfully, I would pack my schedule solid if it wasn't for my wife encouraging balance in our life.

Jun 05, 2013 at 02:44 PM
morby
• • •
p.2 #2 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

Brian Virts wrote:
Editor contact?

PM sent

Jun 05, 2013 at 03:01 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

I'm not a wedding photographer, but from reading this thread it sounds like -

Wedding photography is a business where you're your own boss/company and therefore its how you manage it. Different people have different approaches; some will fail, some will succeed. Depending on your goals (more weddings, more time with family, etc) and how you manage your time and income (outsourcing? doing everything on your own?), it can really vary the stress level.

Also wedding photographers are leaving the industry for a variety of reasons including but not limited to the economy or the rush of young "talent". As someone mentioned, the female photographer has family obligations, depending on what these obligations are, she may have had to leave any type of job or industry anyways.

Jun 05, 2013 at 03:28 PM
ted nghiem

p.2 #4 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

Dudewithoutape wrote:
Also wedding photographers are leaving the industry for a variety of reasons including but not limited to the economy or the rush of young "talent". As someone mentioned, the female photographer has family obligations, depending on what these obligations are, she may have had to leave any type of job or industry anyways.

Or feel their life and/or photographic interest has moved into another area where they want to pursue.

Jun 05, 2013 at 03:41 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

D. Diggler wrote:
Thing is ...

All my neighbors who live in a cubicle for their JOB have farrrrrrr more of a life outside of work than I do. Farrrr more of a work-life balance. Farrrr more time for family, friends, hobbies, or even just relaxing watching a movie.

Really? How many weddings and other shoots do you do? I work a day job as a corporate photographer that has a high demand for travel and loooooong days, shoot 20-25 weddings and another 50-100 other sessions and still find time each day for family. From 5-9pm is family time. 9-1am is business and editing time. sleep from 1 or 2 till 6am. sometimes 7 or 8 depending on when I need to be somewhere for my day job. I refuse to work Sundays. Sundays is an all day of family and getting stuff done around the house. Now if I dont have a wedding Saturday then I will use it for playing catch up if needed.

I design wedding albums on my lunch break. Albums shouldnt take more than an hour max. most take 30 minutes. I edit the entire wedding I shot from Saturday Monday after work. Takes maybe 6 hours tops.

Jun 05, 2013 at 04:07 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

Your market of Houston, Texas has arguably one of the best economies in the world right now, that's why.

thebeginning wrote:
I'm also curious about this, and am wondering if she just didn't keep up with what couples want these days. I've seen a big surge in business in the last 12 months (both in quantity and in booking size), so I don't think it's the industry...

Jun 05, 2013 at 06:52 PM
awad
• •
p.2 #7 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

morby wrote:
It's really tough to turn down weddings, especially in the moment. I'm always thankful that I did once the year gets rolling. I just shot 7 weddings in 5 weeks and have this coming weekend off, and I'm really looking forward to it. I do have a handful of local photographers that I share leads with. It's been mutually beneficial!

Truthfully, I would pack my schedule solid if it wasn't for my wife encouraging balance in our life.

so jealous about that weekend off. we have 34 between may-oct and im freaking out about it. i'm definitely going to turn down some weddings for that time of the year next year.

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:17 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.2 #8 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

haha, just got this:

hi! I'm looking to see if your available on our wedding date 10/12/13
and what your prices are. our previous photographer went out of
business and the count down is on!!

I look forward to hearing back from you!
thanks,
traci

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:22 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.2 #9 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

She didn't say how f'in awesome I was, so probably not my client, just stating a point.

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Matt B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

I purposely cut back on shooting weddings and even portraits this year though it certainly isn't a permanent thing, just the result of starting with a new company back in December for my day job, plus life in general has taken a serious toll on my time (in a good way).

I'm hoping I can get back into the groove in 2014...I shot a couple of weddings last month and I didn't realize how much I missed it.

Jun 05, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

Brian Virts wrote:
She didn't say how f'in awesome I was, so probably not my client, just stating a point.

You need someone to ego massage at point of inquiry for you to consider them as a client?

Jun 05, 2013 at 11:02 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #12 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

D. Diggler wrote:
Thing is ...

All my neighbors who live in a cubicle for their JOB have farrrrrrr more of a life outside of work than I do. Farrrr more of a work-life balance. Farrrr more time for family, friends, hobbies, or even just relaxing watching a movie.

Dude, you've written about this on here a few times. Are you going to make a change? Or whine? No disrespect, but it sounds like something needs to change, you don't seem entirely happy - you owe yourself this.

Jun 05, 2013 at 11:05 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

morby wrote:
I've been full time photography for a year ... I have 37 weddings

How long were you part time before you went full?

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:19 AM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.2 #14 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

morby wrote:
I agree that it does take away from Saturdays with family and can be very demanding. It can be especially demanding for people balancing a weekly job and shooting weddings on the weekend. Maybe it's different for me, but I've been full time photography for a year and get more time than ever with family and friends. I have 37 wedding and a variety of other shoots. 31 of those weddings are between May and October. Knowing that May through October would be busy, we made a rule to take one weekend off a month and not shoot Sunday's. I
...Show more

Kudos to you with such an excellent discipline. Always family first and you will be very successful.

I myself have turned down quite some weddings this year, mostly due to schedule conflict. I will be a lot more picky on which couple to choose next year, since I plan to limit maximum 6 weddings a month and extend them to a nice span of the year.

Jun 06, 2013 at 05:47 AM
morby
• • •
p.2 #15 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

D. Diggler wrote:
How long were you part time before you went full?

I shot my first wedding in 2001, and shot about 25 total between then and 2009. I've been shooting 20+ since 2010.

Jun 06, 2013 at 07:12 AM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.2 #16 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

ricardovaste wrote:
You need someone to ego massage at point of inquiry for you to consider them as a client?

No, I just need her to want to be in my pictures.

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:02 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

Brian Virts wrote:
No, I just need her to want to be in my pictures.

Surely the simple act of contacting you shows you that they want to be in 'your pictures'?

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

ricardovaste wrote:
Surely the simple act of contacting you shows you that they want to be in 'your pictures'?

Don't we wish that were true? An email like this one could be an email blast to a dozen photographers... from price shopping tire kickers. I get what Brian is saying. The clients that infer how f'in awesome we are are definitely our ideal clients. At that point it's not all about the budget, because they love your work.

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:10 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

Mitch W wrote:
Don't we wish that were true? An email like this one could be an email blast to a dozen photographers... from price shopping tire kickers. I get what Brian is saying. The clients that infer how f'in awesome we are are definitely our ideal clients. At that point it's not all about the budget, because they love your work.

I agree, if a client expresses love for your work then they're most likely certainly going to be better to work with - I'm not debating that. My point was that if you need someone to express this from the get-go then you may be presupposing one of the conditions. If they're contacting you, I think it is safe to assume they like your work. They may not have divulged into every single blog post you've ever made, but they will like it. But hey, if you're batting off hundreds of inquiries you have that choice.

I've had numerous first contacts that have been very brief and have been some of my best clients to work with.

Just my 2 cent, didn't mean to derail

Jun 06, 2013 at 03:03 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.2 #20 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?

Yeah, there are tons of threads on the art of the inquiry. I've booked on less personal messages, but I usually never hear from this type of contact.

Jun 06, 2013 at 03:41 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password