Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       5       end
  

Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?
  
 
Brian Virts
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


Seems like many are getting out of weddings. What are you guys hearing/seeing?


Jun 04, 2013 at 05:34 PM
swoop
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


Where is that data coming from?


Jun 04, 2013 at 05:39 PM
Tony Hoffer
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


I've heard from a few friends (fellow photographers, builders, ect...) that high-end customer spending seems to be coming back. I've noticed similar things in our limited sample size.

A few full-timers that I know have left the business or are thinking about it. In most cases it was for something that they felt had more long-term viability or security.



Jun 04, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Brian Virts
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


Spoke to a photographer the other day that was a 25+ a year, said she and a few girls she knows are back to a day job, maybe shooting a handful at best.


Jun 04, 2013 at 05:46 PM
jasonhupe
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


Ive notice a few photographers I admire get out recently which made me sad to see. On the other hand I can completely understand if something else comes along. I always thought I wanted to do 40+ a year, traveling all over, until I got so busy with my other job that I had no time for anything. Now Im back to going part time doing 15 a year and trying to balance life better. My other business has exploded and is much more lucrative from a salary stand point.
Doing this job full time all the time is very very demanding and takes total commitment. I understand why some who are amazingly good leave the industry over time.



Jun 04, 2013 at 09:16 PM
TRReichman
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


Brian Virts wrote:
Seems like many are getting out of weddings.


There is more to life (hopefully) than wedding photography.

- trr



Jun 04, 2013 at 09:24 PM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


Brian Virts wrote:
Spoke to a photographer the other day that was a 25+ a year, said she and a few girls she knows are back to a day job, maybe shooting a handful at best.


Did she say why?



Jun 04, 2013 at 09:36 PM
Aremac 01
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


TRReichman wrote:
There is more to life (hopefully) than wedding photography.

- trr

What's interesting is that this statement actually applies less to wedding photography than many other careers. You'll find that many decided to pursue wedding photography because they've come to the realization that they want more out of life than living in a cubicle reporting to a boss they hate. Whether reality meets perception is another story.



Jun 04, 2013 at 10:08 PM
thebeginning
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


D. Diggler wrote:
Did she say why?



I'm also curious about this, and am wondering if she just didn't keep up with what couples want these days. I've seen a big surge in business in the last 12 months (both in quantity and in booking size), so I don't think it's the industry...



Jun 04, 2013 at 10:36 PM
amonline
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


I haven't noticed any trend outside the norm. Some quit... Even more begin. My area's friggin' flooded with noobs. Surprisingly however, I've seen an increase in bookings. Maybe their portfolios are driving clients my way.


Jun 04, 2013 at 10:56 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



D. Diggler
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


Aremac 01 wrote:
You'll find that many decided to pursue wedding photography because they've come to the realization that they want more out of life than living in a cubicle reporting to a boss they hate.


Thing is ...

All my neighbors who live in a cubicle for their JOB have farrrrrrr more of a life outside of work than I do. Farrrr more of a work-life balance. Farrrr more time for family, friends, hobbies, or even just relaxing watching a movie.



Jun 04, 2013 at 11:15 PM
morby
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


D. Diggler wrote:
Thing is ...

All my neighbors who live in a cubicle for their JOB have farrrrrrr more of a life outside of work than I do. Farrrr more of a work-life balance. Farrrr more time for family, friends, hobbies, or even just relaxing watching a movie.


How is your workflow? With the right system in place wedding photography shouldn't take up too much time. I feel I have more time for family, friends and relaxing than ever before.



Jun 05, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Brian Virts
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


D. Diggler wrote:
Did she say why?


Family obligation.



Jun 05, 2013 at 02:14 AM
Brian Virts
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


Being a full-time wedding photographer is kind of like bull riding, you just kind of hold on by the seat of your pants.


Jun 05, 2013 at 02:15 AM
Brian Virts
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


I'm only part-time myself this year, I like doing other things, but I do however enjoy the art of it.


Jun 05, 2013 at 02:17 AM
DavidCZ
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


Because most weddings are weekends, they will take lots of family time. Husband and wife team are good and can still enjoy working together. But when there are kids, it will be another story. It could be especially tough for husband and wife team.

One has to balance the life and work very well as wedding photographers.



Jun 05, 2013 at 04:18 AM
Mark_L
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


Aremac 01 wrote:
What's interesting is that this statement actually applies less to wedding photography than many other careers. You'll find that many decided to pursue wedding photography because they've come to the realization that they want more out of life than living in a cubicle reporting to a boss they hate. Whether reality meets perception is another story.


It probably seems like a nice ideal until you do it. Photography has a scary future and makes a business worth little or nothing when you you finish so you can't sell it an the model doesn't scale easily at all. It just isn't great business and it is much easier for most to make a reasonable living in a 'normal' job.



Jun 05, 2013 at 12:01 PM
morby
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


DavidCZ wrote:
Because most weddings are weekends, they will take lots of family time. Husband and wife team are good and can still enjoy working together. But when there are kids, it will be another story. It could be especially tough for husband and wife team.

One has to balance the life and work very well as wedding photographers.


I agree that it does take away from Saturdays with family and can be very demanding. It can be especially demanding for people balancing a weekly job and shooting weddings on the weekend. Maybe it's different for me, but I've been full time photography for a year and get more time than ever with family and friends. I have 37 wedding and a variety of other shoots. 31 of those weddings are between May and October. Knowing that May through October would be busy, we made a rule to take one weekend off a month and not shoot Sunday's. I have two kids (3 and 1) and I get tons of time with them during the week and on Sundays. One thing that definitely helps is having a good workflow and sending out my images to get the "base" edits done. I still spend time culling and editing my images, but the small things like straightening, WB, exposure, etc., I leave to someone else. She does 1000 images for $100, so you can't beat that!

I haven't always been the best with time management, but I think it's the core issue to not having enough time for doing things other than photography.



Jun 05, 2013 at 01:49 PM
Bartlett Pair
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


Hey Morby, that's pretty impressive that you take one weekend off a month and don't work Sundays and yet have 31 weddings between May/Oct. Hats off to you for such strong rules to promote a healthy work/life balance! It must be super tough to turn down tempting leads at fancy venues...though I assume you pass the leads around?


Jun 05, 2013 at 02:14 PM
Brian Virts
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · Is the economy picking up and photogs are dropping out?


morby wrote:
I agree that it does take away from Saturdays with family and can be very demanding. It can be especially demanding for people balancing a weekly job and shooting weddings on the weekend. Maybe it's different for me, but I've been full time photography for a year and get more time than ever with family and friends. I have 37 wedding and a variety of other shoots. 31 of those weddings are between May and October. Knowing that May through October would be busy, we made a rule to take one weekend off a month and not shoot Sunday's. I
...Show more

Editor contact?



Jun 05, 2013 at 02:32 PM
1
       2       3       4       5       end




FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password