FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Flatirons w/ Milky Way

sklar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flatirons w/ Milky Way

I got a clear night and the Milky Way was going to line up, so I went for it and grabbed this image of the flatirons.

I had kind of an interesting time dealing with the light pollution, and I think it really limited what I could do with the image in post.

Thanks for taking a look!

Jun 04, 2013 at 12:08 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flatirons w/ Milky Way

Pretty nice work here. Getting a super deep Milky Way view with your being so close to the city and the light pollution isn't going to happen. But you still have the Milky Way in the shot, and the Flat Irons being lit up just enough works well and makes for a pleasing shot. Nice work.

I just figured out where the Flat Irons were a few months ago. They are not too far from where I spend a lot of time in Colorado. So I am planning to shoot them too on occasion in the next year.

Jim

Jun 04, 2013 at 12:29 PM
sklar
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flatirons w/ Milky Way

JimFox wrote:
Pretty nice work here. Getting a super deep Milky Way view with your being so close to the city and the light pollution isn't going to happen. But you still have the Milky Way in the shot, and the Flat Irons being lit up just enough works well and makes for a pleasing shot. Nice work.

I just figured out where the Flat Irons were a few months ago. They are not too far from where I spend a lot of time in Colorado. So I am planning to shoot them too on occasion in the next year.

Jim

Thanks Jim!
It sure is a pretty view

Jun 04, 2013 at 02:58 PM
VernH
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flatirons w/ Milky Way

Wow that is a neat shot considering the amount of light popution. Glad you posted, now I'll give it a try, is it processed in photoshop or did you use a stacking software.
TIA
Vern

Jun 04, 2013 at 04:31 PM
eric hagemann
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flatirons w/ Milky Way

nice -- is that a plane or a shooting star on the left side

Jun 04, 2013 at 07:03 PM
Dean Colprit
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flatirons w/ Milky Way

Nice! What time of night was it and what exposure did you use? I just ran the trails at Chautauqua today.

Dean

Jun 04, 2013 at 10:37 PM
sklar
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flatirons w/ Milky Way

VernH wrote:
Wow that is a neat shot considering the amount of light popution. Glad you posted, now I'll give it a try, is it processed in photoshop or did you use a stacking software.
TIA
Vern

Thanks!
No stacking, one 20 second exposure. Light processing done in LR

eric hagemann wrote:
nice -- is that a plane or a shooting star on the left side

Thanks!
Not sure, looks more like a shooting star than a plane maybe

Dean Colprit wrote:
Nice! What time of night was it and what exposure did you use? I just ran the trails at Chautauqua today.

Dean

Thanks!
I was there from about 2:30-4am. 20" f4 iso4000

Jun 04, 2013 at 11:01 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flatirons w/ Milky Way

Did you try any f/2.8? ISO 6400?

Star shots don't just come out very often without some significant processing. At least that's what I've been reading recently. I'm no expert, but there has been an evolution of many threads here recently with lots of tips for shooting and processing stars.

Light pollution in the sky is expected in Boulder / Denver but the foreground is also quite bright. I assume also there was some moonlight too. Is your time accurate in camera? It says 5:52am.

Anyway, what I am saying is a one shot image with minimal processing probably won't get you where you want to be.

Jun 04, 2013 at 11:24 PM
sklar
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flatirons w/ Milky Way

ckcarr wrote:
Did you try any f/2.8? ISO 6400?

Star shots don't just come out very often without some significant processing. At least that's what I've been reading recently. I'm no expert, but there has been an evolution of many threads here recently with lots of tips for shooting and processing stars.

Light pollution in the sky is expected in Boulder / Denver but the foreground is also quite bright. I assume also there was some moonlight too. Is your time accurate in camera? It says 5:52am.

Anyway, what I am saying is a one shot image with minimal processing probably won't get you
...Show more

f4 is my fastest lens I'm a college student, so a 17-40 f4 and 70-200 f4 are the kit right now)
and 6400 is too noisy for me

I tried to push this one harder in post, but it didn't cooperate very well, i just think there was enough star info there to begin with (due to light pollution)
The flatirons are pretty much right in boulder and denver isn't too far off to the south, so that's where the light in the fg came from, and i think that's why i couldn't pull more out of the stars

Jun 04, 2013 at 11:49 PM
dasams
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flatirons w/ Milky Way

sklar wrote:
I had kind of an interesting time dealing with the light pollution, and I think it really limited what I could do with the image in post.

Nice shot and I'd love to see this on new moon night with a light pollution filter. They aren't cheap but are a big help if you live near a big city. dave

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:00 PM
sklar
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flatirons w/ Milky Way

dasams wrote:
sklar wrote:

thanks, i'll probably give it another shot (literally) in the future

Jun 05, 2013 at 10:32 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flatirons w/ Milky Way

good shot despite the "pollution"

Jun 06, 2013 at 06:13 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flatirons w/ Milky Way

Oh, I thought the Flatirons was in New York City!

You've got beautiful shot here with minimal milky way!

Jun 06, 2013 at 07:18 PM
sklar
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Flatirons w/ Milky Way

rhee wrote:
Oh, I thought the Flatirons was in New York City!

You've got beautiful shot here with minimal milky way!

CW100 wrote:
good shot despite the "pollution"

Thanks guys!

Jun 07, 2013 at 09:25 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.