Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Gitzo GT0530, reattaching leg?

jphendren
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Gitzo GT0530, reattaching leg?

Hello,

I have a 5 year old Gitzo GT0530 tripod that I use for hiking. For the past 3 years or so one of the legs has been wiggly like a loose tooth, but managed to stay attached to the tripod. Last night while putting the tripod back on my photo pack, the leg came off. From what I have read on the internet this is common with Gitzo tripods. I notice that the top of the leg section has tiny threads on it, and I can simply screw it back in, but it is not a very strong junction. I tried cleaning up the joint with some alcohol and re-gluing it with some household do everything glue, but that did no work, I can unscrew it easily still. Any ideas how to fix this?

Jared

Jun 04, 2013 at 02:55 PM
MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Gitzo GT0530, reattaching leg?

undo another leg & see if there is something missing.

Jun 04, 2013 at 09:05 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Gitzo GT0530, reattaching leg?

You're going to want to remove as much adhesive from the parts (both the original, and what the applied), and then re-glue with a much more substantial adhesive. There are specific ones you can buy for CF-to-metal, but JB Weld epoxy (get the slow-drying, not the 5-minute version) is easy to find at most home improvement warehouses, and it will work fine. I'd advise some masking tape be applied to the leg and spider in areas you don't want marred by excess glue, and you can pull the tape off after the glue has fully dried.

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-weld/

FWIW, I don't believe this failure is as common as you may have been lead to believe, but obviously, it happens. If you've got your purchase receipt from an authorized US dealer, Gitzo will repair it for free.

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:30 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Gitzo GT0530, reattaching leg?

A friend had one that was so skinny I was surprised it held itself up. He kept reattaching one leg with a couple wraps of aluminum foil to take up the slack in the threads.

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jphendren
• •
p.1 #5 · Gitzo GT0530, reattaching leg?

Update,

I cleaned the threads with alcohol, and re-glued it with Gorilla Glue. I let it dry for 24 hours, and it seems as good as new. I'm not sure what caused the leg to release in the first place, but Gorilla Glue does seem to work well. Another person on another forum used Gorilla glue on a Gitzo and reported that after 1 year that the bond was still good.

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:03 PM
MalbikEndar
• •
p.1 #6 · Gitzo GT0530, reattaching leg?

Well "carbon fiber" is a composite of adhesive and, well, cloth. I see no problem gluing it together (if you can't just get it fixed as a warranty repair).

Jun 06, 2013 at 05:16 PM
jphendren
• •
p.1 #7 · Gitzo GT0530, reattaching leg?

"if you can't just get it fixed as a warranty repair"

I probably could get it fixed under warranty, but I can't be without my tripod for 2 months. In another forum, a member sent his Gitzo in for the same issue, it took two months to get it back, and it still was not fixed. Nearly every shot I take is off of a tripod.

Jun 06, 2013 at 06:09 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password