New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My Canon 5D II mode dial knob was broken off

nixland
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Canon 5D II mode dial knob was broken off

Hi All,

Few days ago, the mode dial knob of my 5D II suddenly broken off.
I don't understand why it could happened.
I never use it forcefully and I mostly use the P and Av mode.

From my first 400D to 5DII and 1D IV I never had problem at all with all of my Canon camera that I believe the QC of Canon is awesome.
So that broken knob is a bit surprised me.

I have brought it to Canon service center and today they send the spart part list to be replaced :
- Top Cover
- Focusing Screen
- Cover Grip Holding
- Cover Front Left
- Cover Holding EOS 5D

Are they really need it to be replaced ?

I need you advice.
And comments about what is the possible cause of the broken knob.

Thanks.

Jun 04, 2013 at 12:13 AM
nixland
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Canon 5D II mode dial knob was broken off

The total cost is around $ US 227 .... just for fixing the dial mode knob.
They are waiting for my greenlight to fix it.

Jun 04, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Canon 5D II mode dial knob was broken off

Realize, like your auto mechanic, the actual cost is more than his wages: continuing education for new products, parts, office staff, rent, insurance, etc. I strongly suspect these service centers make little profit and may barely break even. If the cost is too high for you, you can buy the parts and do it yourself. I fixed the mode dial on my EOS 5 (not 5D) and the fix was purely mechanical in nature and involved no electronics. Took me 4 or 5 hours....

Jun 04, 2013 at 01:35 AM
Access
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Canon 5D II mode dial knob was broken off

nixland it's called a cascade failure though admittedly even I'm pretty clueless how that much stuff broke just due to a knob coming off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_failure

Jun 04, 2013 at 02:01 AM
nixland
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Canon 5D II mode dial knob was broken off

@Gochugogi, thanks for you comments.
@Access, thanks for the info about the possible cause.

Jun 04, 2013 at 03:06 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My Canon 5D II mode dial knob was broken off

Gochugogi wrote:
Realize, like your auto mechanic, the actual cost is more than his wages: continuing education for new products, parts, office staff, rent, insurance, etc.

Indeed, we have been doing some costing exercises here and bottom line is that my overall cost to my employer is more than double my salary.

Jun 04, 2013 at 03:29 AM

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My Canon 5D II mode dial knob was broken off

I had the same stuff happen with my old Konica Minolta 7D: the exposure compensation dial just broke off for no apparent reason, sticking the camera with massive positive EC and forcing me to sell it for parts as nobody wanted to repair it. I suspect the reason was undetected impact against the bag the camera was in - maybe someone hit it accidentally while in transit, or something. I suspect something like this might've happened to your camera. That, or the dial itself was somehow defective.

Jun 04, 2013 at 04:03 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My Canon 5D II mode dial knob was broken off

As I recall on my 1992 EOS 5, the mode dial was originally integral with the top plate. So if you broke it, they replaced the whole top of the camera. I was kinda happy at first since my top had some dings and scratches. It cost $175 to fix in the late 1990s. But when it failed again, I fixed it at the component level by replacing a few screws and tossing the lock spring (filled it with resin).

No sure why they need to replace the focusing screen but I suspect the same dumb design of mode dial being integral with the top plate is still used. I had to remove most of the screws on the body to get the top plate off. To get at some screws you need to peel back the grip rubber (hence its replacement).

Jun 04, 2013 at 04:17 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My Canon 5D II mode dial knob was broken off

It sounds like a great price for that list of replaced parts. As far as "are they really needed?", only the Canon techs can answer that. Have you asked them? OTOH, don't bother; consider it the price for fixing the mode dial, and the rest is a bonus.

Jun 04, 2013 at 05:28 AM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My Canon 5D II mode dial knob was broken off

When you dropped off your camera they obviously examined it and determined that other things were in need of service. They don't have any relationship to the knob breaking whatsoever but are part of a review of the camera by service techs. If you talk to them and tell them you really only what the knob replaced I am certain they will do that for you, however you are now aware of other impending service issues.

Dave

Jun 04, 2013 at 06:06 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My Canon 5D II mode dial knob was broken off

You own a mechanical object.

It is comprised of parts.

Not all parts are as durable as we want them to be.
Mechanical things break and/or wear out.

Just suck it up and pay for it.

Just think how much it would be if it happened to your Nikon/Sony/Leica!!

Jun 04, 2013 at 06:19 AM
nixland
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My Canon 5D II mode dial knob was broken off

All, thanks a lot for the comments.

I think I will go for it.
But I still waiting for their explanation about the need to replace the focusing screen.

About the cause, I think it might be as what @Snopchenko said. Several impact to the knob which I don't realize.

Jun 04, 2013 at 06:37 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.