New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Under water photography

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Under water photography

In the next few years, I will have a lot of opportunities for underwater photography. I wonder what would it take, gear-wise? Can I use my Nikon--D800e--- camera?

Jun 03, 2013 at 04:10 PM
godfather
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Under water photography

Are you an experience diver? Only reason I ask is the camera gear / getting good pictures really pushes your bouncy control / comfort in the water depending on the conditions. A P&S w/ single strobe is a lot easier to manage than a full on dslr kit (when entering the water, during the dive, etc). However, with a d800e you will be able to build a really nice system. Keep in mind you will have spent more on underwater gear than your camera by the time it is all set up.

If I was buying another underwater system it would be a used ikelite t2i housing w/ dome and a tam 10-17 fish lens. Match a couple nice used strobes like the 125's and get wet. If the camera gets flooded just toss it and buy another $250 body...

Try wetpixel.com for more good information.

Jun 03, 2013 at 05:23 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Under water photography

godfather wrote:
Are you an experience diver? Only reason I ask is the camera gear / getting good pictures really pushes your bouncy control / comfort in the water depending on the conditions. A P&S w/ single strobe is a lot easier to manage than a full on dslr kit (when entering the water, during the dive, etc). However, with a d800e you will be able to build a really nice system. Keep in mind you will have spent more on underwater gear than your camera by the time it is all set up.

If I was buying another underwater system it
...Show more

I am thinking in that direction. $2--300.00 can buy a lot of camera for underwater.
Thanks

Jun 03, 2013 at 08:11 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Under water photography

Things are very different underwater & buoyancy control is critical. You also need to learn how to control most of your movement with your legs & feet because your hands are too busy for that. I took these a few years back just to show to people who are already into photography & think they can start using their DSLR underwater right away after getting certified. This was state of the art when taken, it's the 5D.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6Ty5tFT9h9U/Sy-1vV6vpeI/AAAAAAAACEA/4aIr8r-iXGk/s1024/IMG_3171.JPG

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-voJRU-4wKWo/Sy-1383mk2I/AAAAAAAACEE/yvyBDgVaPvk/s1024/IMG_3194.JPG

Depending on whether you are already certified or thinking of doing it it's a better plan to start with a good P & S & single strobe that shoots RAW. You can get a lot of great photos that way without blowing a pile of money on something that might be very cumbersome at first.

Jun 03, 2013 at 08:34 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Under water photography

Before you invest in any underwater photography gear, get certified and comfortable
with yourself diving. As a former PADI Divemaster I've seen plenty of people investing in
various gear without even knowing if they would like diving or be able to get certified.
Learn to dive first and be safe.

-Tim

Jun 04, 2013 at 08:37 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Under water photography

Buy a good point and shoot, and an under water housing. A housing for the D800 cost almost as much as the body. Underwater gets expensive, quick. Not to mention I lost a D300 some years ago to a bad seal.

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:37 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Under water photography

Waterproof to 59 feet, which is some 15 times deeper than any water I plan on getting into.
http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-Coolpix-AW110-Shock-Waterproof-GPS-Wi-Fi-Digital-Camera-Camouflage-76493.cfm

It's also cheaper than an underwater housing.

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:25 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.