Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sony A99 Quick thoughts

derbarrett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sony A99 Quick thoughts

After using the sony A99 for wedding coverage over the last 2-3 months I now feel like I can give an educated opinion about the camera. Overall I love the camera and the image quality is outstanding!!! WYSIWYG is a game changer and the dynamic range is great too. I really only have two areas where I would like to see improvement.

1. The 1st area is pretty minor. I would like to see better noise handling at ISO 6400+. The camera is pretty good as is at ISO 6400 and the images a perfectly useable especially after a little NR in Lightroom, but I think it could be a tad better.

2. The 2nd area is pretty major. I feel like the a99 is subpar when it comes to the AF department.... specifically when compared to the 5d3 (please note that I haven't really used AF-D much so that may or may not change my opinion).

a. All of the AF are clustered in the center of the frame. Why.. it almost defeats the purpose of having multiple AF points. I really want to know who felt like this was a good idea...

b. The outer focus points can be weak and inaccurate at times, and they dont work very well in low light.

c. The AF hunts quite a bit in backlit situations.... even when the scene isn't overly bright.

Besides those two issues (mainly the AF issue) I feel like the camera is a real winner. I would be one happy camper if they somehow improved the AF performance..... the files are gorgeous!!

Jun 03, 2013 at 05:44 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Sony A99 Quick thoughts

Thank you for the info.

Do you use flash much? I ask because I'm curious about the accuracy and controls for off camera use.

Cordell

Jun 09, 2013 at 06:22 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Sony A99 Quick thoughts

well that is a bummer, I thought this camera was going to shine in AF capabilities, thank you for sharing your opinions

Jun 09, 2013 at 02:27 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #4 · Sony A99 Quick thoughts

cordellwillis wrote:
Thank you for the info.

Do you use flash much? I ask because I'm curious about the accuracy and controls for off camera use.

Cordell

All of my flash work (including off camera) is done in manually, so I don't really have advice or opinions on that area

Jun 10, 2013 at 03:48 AM
beatus80

p.1 #5 · Sony A99 Quick thoughts

I was and still am quite interested in sony gears for wedding, though I'm quite settled with Nikon at the moment.
Can you think of more points you can share?
Thanks
Luke

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Sony A99 Quick thoughts

The reason the af points are all in the middle, is the same reason why every FF digital slr is the same way...because af sensors wont work (or work WELL) at the edges of the frame...

your observations with the AF ability, is that using ONLY the center point? Or various points?? Also, is this on moving subjects or static??

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #7 · Sony A99 Quick thoughts

NathanHamler wrote:
The reason the af points are all in the middle, is the same reason why every FF digital slr is the same way...because af sensors wont work (or work WELL) at the edges of the frame...

your observations with the AF ability, is that using ONLY the center point? Or various points?? Also, is this on moving subjects or static??

1. Not completely true ... all of the AF points for the a99 are within the middle 3rd of the frame.. Iíve used the 5d3 quite a few times and it's AF points extend noticeably farther.

2. The center point(s) is very strong for both standing and moving subjects (it does hunt occasionally in low light). Itís the outer points, near the 3rd lines, that I have issues withÖ for both standing and moving subjects. In comparison the outer AF points on the 5d3 seem to lock focus more easily and accurately.

A99 AF points

Edited on Jun 11, 2013 at 04:20 AM · View previous versions

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:37 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Sony A99 Quick thoughts

yeah that's really bad.....the D600 even extends further than that.....on a side note, is that kinda the AF fine tune function of the sony? seems kinda cool....

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:04 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Sony A99 Quick thoughts

Ouch that would be a dealbreaker for me even if I could live with a SLR design with EVF. Kinda cool it looks like you can see the af distance and control the range on the fly though.

I feel like Sony needs to be the first to make a true pro camera that is mirrorless, the hybrid a99 is just a dead end. Canon and Nikon's level of innovation is glacial (same but a bit more of everything) and are too scared/entrenched/have to much to lose by being that bold when it will be the future eventually.

Jun 10, 2013 at 09:32 PM
beatus80

p.1 #10 · Sony A99 Quick thoughts

are those only focus points you can use in all situations?
i mean, like nikon when in live view uses contrast detection af which is slow but goes all the way to the very corner of the frame.
is there something similar in a99 that works like that?

Jun 13, 2013 at 02:39 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password