FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Sunny Sra wrote:
This is the 2nd time in as many years that someone has washed over in Yosemite while swimming on top of the falls. WTF are they thinking!

The swimmer teenager is presumed dead and sadly a climber was killed at El Capitan on the same weekend.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-climber-dies-yosemite-20130603,0,3869012.story

Jun 03, 2013 at 08:02 PM
canonguy4ever

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Must be a slow day in the photography world when we get fatality notices on Fred Miranda...

Jun 03, 2013 at 08:19 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

canonguy4ever wrote:
Must be a slow day in the photography world when we get fatality notices on Fred Miranda...

Why don't you post some of your work instead of cribbing. Your contribution is what...54 posts in 3 years?

Jun 03, 2013 at 08:53 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Well,

This was originally posted in the Landscape forum because it had much more relevance to our kind of photography over there. I had originally posted a response but then deleted it when it was moved here because this audience is completely different. It may even be true that many general photographers have never even set foot in the great outdoors. However, certainly tragedies like this are valid reminders that accidents happen, it's not a "Darwin" award. More correctly a brief moment of unthinking, a lapse of judgment on the part of the victim, something that can be absolutely unforgiving by mother nature - that you might have got away with in a more "civilized" environment.

I could fill a thread with all the tragic accidents that happen here in Moab in our back country. There were so many that they quit putting them in the paper for a long time so as not to scare tourism. People fall off cliffs, get stuck in quicksand, develop hypothermia or hyperthermia and die. They get their hands stuck under rocks in slot canyons, get bit by animals, snakes, spiders, scorpions. They flip their ATV's and dirt bikes breaking backs and necks. Stuff happens. And it isn't because they are of lesser intelligence than the average member here. $hyt happens with people.

So, like I said, this was originally posted in landscape where perhaps it was more appropriate audience. Others may not appreciate the reminder regarding real dangers that exist.

Jun 03, 2013 at 10:43 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

It's highly appropriate. We as photographers know these locations all too well. If we aren't careful, maybe we'd end up in the river as well. Life is short, enjoy it while you can.

Jun 04, 2013 at 09:20 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

It kills me when losers judge the relevance of a post; especially when it's the site's owner who posted it. This place is turning into dpr.

Jun 04, 2013 at 10:22 PM
bboule
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

The link is appropriate and appreciated.

Off the Wall: Death in Yosemite (Amazon.com)

Lots and lots of people have died in Yosemite due to poor judgement, including plenty of photographers.. I ended up reading this book after the first (and only time) I got to go shoot in Yosemite. Plenty of people have already died in Vernal & Nevada falls, everyone should be aware of how dangerous photographing there can be if you're not prepared.

Heck carrying lots of photo gear instead of food & water & proper clothes is risky!

Jun 05, 2013 at 11:08 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Bacalhau wrote:
Not sure why posting this here - not related with photography at all...

canonguy4ever wrote:
Does this story really belong on this website??

Uh, you wouldn't be able to post your comments if it wasn't for the poster who made it all possible for you to post your comments.

Jun 05, 2013 at 11:40 AM
canonguy4ever

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Sunny Sra wrote:
Why don't you post some of your work instead of cribbing. Your contribution is what...54 posts in 3 years?

What has my 54 posts in 3 years have to with this topic

Jun 05, 2013 at 01:12 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Here's the deal: There are 23 other FM forums that you can talk photography until it runs out your ears. The Miscellaneous Forum is appropriately named because it's made up of a bunch of hodgepodge topics that aren't as fine tuned as the other forums. Everything that doesn't have a home comes here. We take in those lost posts, even if there is no chance for longterm survival. We help those who might not be familiar with calling customer service, instead posting their grievances on FM Misc. so they can be catered to and calmed down by the store representatives. We do the simple searches for those who just don't have the time to be inconvenienced by all that. So it all boils down to this: The next person who says a post doesn't belong in the Misc. Forum....

Jun 05, 2013 at 01:57 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

canonguy4ever wrote:
What has my 54 posts in 3 years have to with this topic

You're not contributing to photography on this site in anyway...so you shouldn't crib if some news is shared. No one forced you to click on the topic and respond.

Jun 05, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Like many other National Parks, Yosemite is a sought-after photography location but we must be prudent and aware of the dangers. I'm glad this post reached some of you preparing your next trip there.
All the best,
Fred

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:31 PM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.