FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Teen swept over Yosemite's Nevada Fall
Aleh Kalman of Sacramento was witnessed swimming above the Nevada Fall, about 150 feet from the precipice, when a strong current swept him to the edge of the fall shortly before 3 p.m. Saturday.
Hikers can reach the top of Nevada Fall by continuing along the Mist Trail (from Vernal Fall). The John Muir Trail also leads to the top of Nevada Fall (bypassing Vernal Fall).

Park rangers will resume their search Monday but according to park spokeswomen Kari Cobb, it's impossible to survive a fall like that.

Read full story at CNN.

Jun 03, 2013 at 10:34 AM
96Brigadier

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Very sad, but I can't help wonder... why would someone purposefully go into the water 150 feet upstream of a 600 foot waterfall?

Or did he slip and fall in?

Jun 03, 2013 at 10:36 AM
BubbaJon
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

96Brigadier wrote:
Very sad, but I can't help wonder... why would someone purposefully go into the water 150 feet upstream of a 600 foot waterfall?

Or did he slip and fall in?

You *are* familiar with the Darwin awards - right?
Some people just have little or no good sense.

Jun 03, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Someone had deathwish..

Jun 03, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

As I type this, there are dive teams at Punchbowl Falls recovering a body. I dunno what people are thinking when they do things like these.....guess they underestimate nature and the power of water

Jun 03, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

I feel awful to have this sad news. And another from the Punchbowl Falls diver.

Jun 03, 2013 at 11:15 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Dustin Gent wrote:
.....guess they underestimate nature and the power of water

Most likely the case
The same is true for those that drive crotch-rockets on twisty roads at the limits.
Being 19 years old & feeling invincible is a common thing and many of us shudder when we remember the risks we took at that age.

But comments like "Darwin award" are definitely inappropriate.
Someone lost their life and their family is grieving.
Being a smart ass & glib doesn't serve anyone's interest accept the poster.

Jun 03, 2013 at 11:25 AM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

dswiger wrote:
Most likely the case
The same is true for those that drive crotch-rockets on twisty roads at the limits.
Being 19 years old & feeling invincible is a common thing and many of us shudder when we remember the risks we took at that age.

+1

Jun 03, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Not sure why posting this here - not related with photography at all...

150 feet is way to close to take chances, IMHO.
In any case, someone will point the finger at the right person(s), after all the kid was just being a kid, but the adult supervising (if there was one nearby), should have known better.
Neither Darwin or God got nothing to do with it...

Jun 03, 2013 at 11:50 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Over time, it takes ever increasing danger to satisfy certain needs that may exist in all ages, but seem more prevalent among young males. Good judgment is superseded by peer pressure, alcohol or other factors. It's certainly a shame, but happens all the time.

Jun 03, 2013 at 11:53 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

dswiger wrote:
Most likely the case

I drive 'crotch rockets' and it's not even fair to compare these two. Motorcycle racing and stupid decisions are two very different things. I could also go on to make the point that poor eating habits lead to more deaths than motorcycle racing. But we aren't comparing eating big macs to swimming near the edge of a water fall

Jun 03, 2013 at 12:10 PM
canonguy4ever

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Does this story really belong on this website??

Jun 03, 2013 at 12:40 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

canonguy4ever wrote:

Well the owner of the website did post it, so yes it probably does....

Jun 03, 2013 at 12:50 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Maybe this will make somebody else think twice in a similar situation.

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:00 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

BenV wrote:
I drive 'crotch rockets' and it's not even fair to compare these two. Motorcycle racing and stupid decisions are two very different things. I could also go on to make the point that poor eating habits lead to more deaths than motorcycle racing. But we aren't comparing eating big macs to swimming near the edge of a water fall

I used to travel by crotch rocket also, and i would have to say that the riding of quite a few of my two wheeled brethren was not too far from darwinian - the number of spectacularly stupid moves i've seen bikers pull would fill a YouTube channel if i'd had a helmet cam. For sure climbing on a motorbike doesn't suddenly make you stupid, but it does seem to amplify the stupidity of those who were blessed with it from birth.

I agree with you about eating (and exercise) habits.

We may find out more about this incident in time, and it might turn out that the guy was drunk and stupid or it might turn out he fell in by accident. He may even have been saving someone else who fell in. Until we know the full facts it is best to draw no conclusions.

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:00 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

canonguy4ever wrote:

Yosemite is one of the most visited photography destinations. Many of us have hiked the Mist trail to shoot Vernal and Nevada Falls. What happened in Nevada Fall is very unfortunate and something photographers should be aware of.
Fred

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:02 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

In MotorSports photography you should always be aware of your surroundings … it too can turn out not so good if you don’t…

Jun 03, 2013 at 04:22 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

[benV wrote:

Hmm, beg to differ just a bit.
I used to drive sports cars on all the twisty roads around home & many times exceeded the physics of travel. Only a miracle or two kept me from being a statistic. On the roads I cycle on I see a whole lot of crotch rocket riders racing down these twisty roads and at least every month there is a bad crash. There have been 2 or 3 fatalities on the last few months with the roadside memorials to attest to it. So saying that it's a very different thing is not very objective or legitimate. I am talking about right-left brain connections not being complete in many of these testosterone inflamed young men.

I could make the case that the numbers of folks going over the falls in Nat'l parks is a much smaller number than the number of crotch rocket riders who have been killed.

Jun 03, 2013 at 05:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

Jefferson wrote:
In MotorSports photography you should always be aware of your surroundings … it too can turn out not so good if you don’t…

Definitely. Pay attention to the wardens, or you're off the track (best scenario)!

Jun 03, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Teen swept over Nevada Fall in Yosemite

This is the 2nd time in as many years that someone has washed over in Yosemite while swimming on top of the falls. WTF are they thinking!

Jun 03, 2013 at 07:27 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.