Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11              75       76       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

markhout
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

oschebell wrote:
Remind anyone else of Andreas Gursky's Rhine II?

Rhine II

- thanks! I will start the auction at a paltry $1 million... ;-) Discounted from Rhine II because there was no bikepath in Iceland to fill the foreground...

Jul 25, 2013 at 09:46 AM
oschebell

p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Haha no worries Mark! To be honest I much prefer your photograph to his. I really like it.

BTW, Andreas had to remove buildings and etc in post to make it look even remotely interesting, whereas yours is nearly straight from camera I assume.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I agree, Mark's is better.

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:16 PM
markhout
• •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thank you both! Endorsements as these are great for the value!

This is indeed nearly straight from the DNG file. I only balanced the sky against the land - a mild ND graduated filter for the sky in LR5.

Must say that I am impressed with the GR's tonality - shows even better in BW conversions - see nico's brilliant images earlier in this thread.

Jul 25, 2013 at 03:30 PM
oschebell

p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

More samples please people! Share the love with those of us who aren't going to have access to a GR for at least a couple months due to excess demand!

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:33 AM
AbramG
• • • •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I will have some more up soon. It's too bad the supply is so constricted at the moment.

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:11 AM
markhout
• •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

oschebell wrote:
More samples please people! Share the love with those of us who aren't going to have access to a GR for at least a couple months due to excess demand!

OK

It was raining badly in Hong Kong today...

1/40 sec @ 5.0 ISO 200

Note that 1/40 sec still works fine without a tripod.

Jul 26, 2013 at 06:08 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Awesome shot!

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM
cjrpostma

p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Good stuff in this thread everyone. Markhout, that last shot is awesome. I love that I can see the reflection of the buildings in the surface of the water. The water pattern looks like puzzle pieces and I am reminded of a shot by Chema Madoz. I also like the layers and lines that run parallel, the line of the street, the lines on the street, the line of cars, and the human subject in the top right corner. I'm curious what the photo would look like with the background in focus too. It looks ever so slightly abstract now and I like that, just curious.

Hoping to find one of these cameras in stock soon for myself...

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

This is really a great little camera. I can't get over how light the thing is. My EP5, RX1 etc all are over 1lb but this little guy is just 8oz with battery.

Lots of really nice built in picture effects as well. Usually I find those pretty cheesy, but these actually have really nice tonality, with high contrast b/w, sepia tone, some retro emulations etc. Kind of like the Olympus grainy b/w style but a bit more usable and refined.

As others have stated too, the customization of the camera is just insane. You can assign anything to any button. Just so many features, and they are all photocentric stuff you'd actually use, such as having a button to switch between snap focus and AF, and then another button to bring up a display to select the snap focus distance, and one to toggle through ISO settings etc.

Has anyone tried putting a MagFilter onto it ? I think that would be an easy way to use filters and at less than 1mm thick for the mounting ring, in addition to the very small front element opening, should be no problem at all with vignetting.

So far its just been a really pleasant camera to use, and I can't say I miss a VF in the slightest. Something about the form factor just really makes it work nicely handheld. Just walk around snapping stuff, holding it vertically down low, overhead etc. Grip just is very comfortable and secure so I think since it doesn't feel like I may drop it, I don't have to use as traditional of shooting form.

One slight complaint is that its not quite as pocketable as I expected. Its about an inch thick, and that paired with the otherwise great rubber grip, can make it a little tight in/out of jeans. Doable for sure, but can take a little effort to pull it out sometimes.

Pretty darn pleased right off the bat though. Will have to give it some comparisons with my RX100. That camera had a smaller 1" sensor but is f1.8 at the wide end, with the same White Magic LCD, and a bit faster AF, in a somewhat more pocketable size, and with a 28-100mm equiv zoom.

Slightly different classes of camera, but both rather fill that roll of a take anywhere style of pocket camera.

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I'd do the same except I sold my RX100 to partially fund the GR purchase.

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:27 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I probably do use my RX100 at its widest 28mm equiv probably 75% of the time at least (pretty much I'm either zooming in all the way, or shooting wide) so probably wouldn't miss the zoom that often, though it can occasionally be nice to have.

Focus is a little faster, it has OS (though not the best good for 1-2 stops maybe) and a few cool modes that actually work really well such as sweep pano and watercolor. The RX100 does make for a fantastic video camera too.

GR of course has the larger sensor so should be better at higher ISO's (offset a little by the f1.8 on the RX vs f2.8 on the GR) and just a really well designed interface. Its more of a true photographers tool, than something that tries to have a little something for everyone, snapshot masses included.

GR also can take the GW3 (if I can ever find one) so having that 21mm equiv is a big bonus, though it would kill pocketability.

RX100 is nice in that it can share batteries with my RX1, but the GR is also nice because it can share batteries with my Sigma DP2m (so I've got a real charger for it too, none of that USB in camera silliness way too many cameras require these days)

Sony is a little cheaper, and already paid for, GR is still a great value at $799.

Somewhat tough call as it would be a bit redundant to carry them both, much less keep them both, because if I'm grabbing the RX100, then whats the point of another $800 "pocket" camera left at home. Likewise, if I take the GR, then whats the point of the Sony still as it still has pretty good resale value to recoup

Our state fair is in town so perhaps a trip to the fair carrying both of them would be a good test for if I feel I miss the zoom, if the focus keeps up, and/or if I find snap focus useful, and if at night I see better results from the GR

Its too bad the GR couldn't of been a f1.8 lens, as then it really would have a real edge over not just the X100 but most any APS-C compacts. Would be a real no brainer.

As it stands, it seems a very good lens, quite sharp edge to edge, but its pretty limited in getting much subject isolation, which you'd expect from an 18mm f2.8. That does factor into my preferences a little bit, being spoiled with the 35mm f2 on the RX1's FF sensor.

GR seems like more of a documentary/street style camera though, meant for showing the full scene, not so much creative isolation with razor thin DoF like the RX1 often leads me to shoot.

All and all though, I'm really impressed with the GR as a whole. Its a really unique product in a very crowded market with a really nice size, great ergonomics and a very, very competitive price.

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:42 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Well traditionally speaking the film GR1s were all 28mm f2.8 lenses so the latest GR falls right in line with its heritage.

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:55 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

AbramG wrote:
Well traditionally speaking the film GR1s were all 28mm f2.8 lenses so the latest GR falls right in line with its heritage.

I'd have to think of a size standpoint f2 or faster also could of proved a bit prohibitive should they still wanted to be able to use an APS-C sensor size, plus also make the lens able to retract into the body as far as it does.

I think the pocketability is what really sets the GR apart for the competition. I've had other APS-C cameras over the years like the Fuji X100 and the XE-1 with the 18mm f2.0 lens, The Sony NEX5 and 7 with something like the Sigma 19mm f2.8 etc, and while all had their merits, none of them could really fit into a jeans pocket. GR can be a little tight on some pants, but still does fit which is something a XE-1 or Fuji X100 etc could do (save for some ultra baggy cargo shorts)

Jul 26, 2013 at 06:08 PM
itai195
• • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Yes, but the X-E1 and X100 have viewfinders. That's a pretty notable difference in my book. Still, I agree that it's a very nice development to see some large sensor cameras designed to be pocketable.

The GR looks really great, but I'm just not very into 28mm-equiv. If it were in the 35-50mm range I'd be more interested.

Jul 26, 2013 at 06:29 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I also don't think they can make it this small if the lens is f2, or if the focal length is above 35mm (x100 is twice as big and thick already). And if you take away the pocketibility without adding any other unique feature (Foveon sensor, hybrid finder, etc), it wouldn't be such a hit.

So the next logical move for Ricoh is to make a FF M with a body and controls similar to GR, slightly thicker. [/keep dreaming]

Jul 26, 2013 at 06:31 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

For me, the ergonomics (mostly) and superior IQ (less so) won out over the flexibility and quicker AF of the RX100.

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:00 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Does anyone know where I can get a wide angle conversion kit? I guess I need to get the hood w/adapter also correct to make it work?

Phil

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:20 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get a wide angle conversion kit? I guess I need to get the hood w/adapter also correct to make it work?

Phil

There are a bunch on Ebay from Japan, but your going to pay a huge mark-up which I personally don't want to do, because sooner or later, they will come into stock

Just last week, the GR was listed for $999 from a bunch of sellers, then suddenly everyone got stock and you'd so be kicking yourself paying a $200 premium instead of waiting a week for Adorama et al to have them at the normal price

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:54 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

The 21mm + adapter are (were at least) readily available over here as of last week. I got mine as promised and there were at least a few more in stock. I am sure he did not deplete the inventory at the importer. Seems like they ship out a few here and there and let every country have at least a few at a time.

Jul 26, 2013 at 09:44 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password