Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              65      
       67              77       78       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

helimat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.66 #1 · p.66 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

dtchan; very nice! The accidental shot is wonderful. I have been to Old Montreal several times, but have yet to make it to Old Quebec, I hear it is even nicer.

Going for a trolley ride in Calgary:

Ricoh GR (from jpg) by helimat, on Flickr

Aug 09, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Ulff
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.66 #2 · p.66 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Has anyone else problems with dust spots on the GR-sensor? I have at least one very prominent even at f4.0. Any idea how to remove it? I haven't used the cam in especially dusty environments.

round and round...

Aug 09, 2014 at 10:48 PM
shmn
• •
p.66 #3 · p.66 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ulff wrote:
Has anyone else problems with dust spots on the GR-sensor? I have at least one very prominent even at f4.0. Any idea how to remove it? I haven't used the cam in especially dusty environments.

It seems to be an issue for a number of users. There are a bunch of posts on DPR (current and older) about problems with dust. Worth taking a look over there. Seems to be a quality control issue from the factory.

Aug 10, 2014 at 01:50 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.66 #4 · p.66 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I've had dust one one of them I owned previously, but needed specific images to see it, much like any camera.

Annoying for sure, but probably not the end of the world either as its simple enough to clone out if and when it shows up.

I don't know if the environment plays much of a roll. One could think its from using it as a true pocket camera, but I saw it in a brand new camera, so its perhaps from the factory.

Seen similar in other camera's, (hello Nikon and the oil issue) and usually they offer to service them so I'd hope Ricoh/Pentax or whatever they are calling themselves these days would offer the same warrant service for those who do find it problematic.

Aug 10, 2014 at 02:16 AM
burgass

p.66 #5 · p.66 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

It may be a bit off topic but I wonder which raw converter are most of you using. I bought the camera a week ago and I am a bit of a rookie with regards to post processing.

Aug 10, 2014 at 06:42 PM
shmn
• •
p.66 #6 · p.66 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

burgass wrote:
It may be a bit off topic but I wonder which raw converter are most of you using. I bought the camera a week ago and I am a bit of a rookie with regards to post processing.

I use ACR 8.5 and I'm pretty happy with it. I know the GR came with Silkypix but I haven't tried it yet...too much to do and not enough time. Learning new software takes a back seat to more pressing matters.

I would use whatever you have been using unless you are unhappy with the results.

Aug 10, 2014 at 07:08 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.66 #7 · p.66 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

That's a beautiful shot Ullf!
Sadly many people have dust issues with the GR.

Aug 10, 2014 at 07:59 PM
shmn
• •
p.66 #8 · p.66 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Summer treat...

Aug 10, 2014 at 08:56 PM
Ulff
• • •
p.66 #9 · p.66 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Mmmmhh, yummy, shmn!

Regarding the dust: I wasn't aware, that this is a common problem with the GR. I'm just a bit (negatively) surprised that I got a dust problem with a fixed lens camera where I don't expected one. I can't say for sure if the dust was already there when I got the cam 1 year ago or if it got there recently (I detected it a few months ago). If the latter is the case I would have to rethink where I store the camera or in which environments I will use it.

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:19 PM
shmn
• •
p.66 #10 · p.66 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ulff wrote:
Regarding the dust: I wasn't aware, that this is a common problem with the GR.

I think the dust comes from the lens extending and retracting. Acts like a bellows pulling air and and out. It's probably not sealed as well as it should be and over time (sometimes a short time), dust gets sucked in and deposited on the sensor. I've seen a couple of posts on forums and blogs where people sent in the camera for dust on the sensor to Ricoh and they replaced the lens assembly. This leads me to suspect that that something in the design of the lens assembly (most likely the sealing mechanism) ain't quite right. So, I believe it's a design flaw which causes more dust than is normal to be pulled into the sensor area.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

reza187
• •
p.66 #11 · p.66 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Landmark Tower in Yokohama, shot on tripod
Landmark Tower, Yokohama by reza_arya, on Flickr

Aug 11, 2014 at 01:39 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.66 #12 · p.66 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

shmn wrote:
I think the dust comes from the lens extending and retracting. Acts like a bellows pulling air and and out. It's probably not sealed as well as it should be and over time (sometimes a short time), dust gets sucked in and deposited on the sensor. I've seen a couple of posts on forums and blogs where people sent in the camera for dust on the sensor to Ricoh and they replaced the lens assembly. This leads me to suspect that that something in the design of the lens assembly (most likely the sealing mechanism) ain't quite right. So, I
...Show more

Its a tough engineering feat of course, because the lens assembly can't be truly sealed. If it was, it would result in a vacuum and you couldn't extend the lens without creating a negative pressure, and/or retract the lens without creating a positive pressure environment.

My theory is that its more likely something that happens at the factory, because I had dust on a brand new camera, that never went into my pocket, and others have no dust issues, even though they carry their camera every day in their pockets, sans case etc.

Aug 11, 2014 at 05:08 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.66 #13 · p.66 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Got my GR today. Wow, what a refreshingly light and simple camera to have. I think I will enjoy it.

Some shots from today...

My parents in the pool as a storm rolls in... not a care in the world.

no more mom

Dairy Queen ice cream zombies ... this one just makes me laugh.

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:47 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.66 #14 · p.66 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

reza187 wrote:
Landmark Tower in Yokohama, shot on tripod
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5563/14883631584_312c1f9d4e_b.jpgLandmark Tower, Yokohama by reza_arya, on Flickr

Nice one!

Aug 12, 2014 at 01:36 AM
owyhee
• •
p.66 #15 · p.66 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Family Photo

Smile

GR    18.3 mm f/2.8 lens    18mm    f/7.1    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 12, 2014 at 04:18 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.66 #16 · p.66 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Katie, great to see you in here! I always enjoy your whimsical photos.
owyhee, funny. Nice processing too.

Welcome to my cave. Sorry, I'm not big on cleaning, but I like a bit of home decoration as you can see on the artistic painting on the door. Also I bought some furniture on IKEA a few years ago that I haven't quite finished assembling yet. I think maybe some screws are missing.

Cave livingroom by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Edited on Sep 05, 2014 at 07:47 AM · View previous versions

Aug 12, 2014 at 08:37 AM
eagle6996

p.66 #17 · p.66 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Awesome

Nik

Aug 14, 2014 at 08:59 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.66 #18 · p.66 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thanks Helena! I always love to see your photos here as well... You seem to live in a most wonderful environment.

Owyhee - very amusing! I love pics like these.

Just a test snap from yesterday - running the bleachers at school.

Aug 14, 2014 at 03:02 PM
markhout
• • •
p.66 #19 · p.66 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

On the beach in the Netherlands, earlier this week:

Aug 15, 2014 at 01:00 AM
juan_amores
• • •
p.66 #20 · p.66 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

El Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz, Spain