Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              61      
       63              79       80       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

HelenaN
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.62 #1 · p.62 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Decaying boat and winch by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Jul 18, 2014 at 09:44 AM
helimat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.62 #2 · p.62 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Nice Helena.

Ricoh GR (from jpg) by helimat, on Flickr

'Hotel iPadding'

Jul 18, 2014 at 01:40 PM
markhout
• • •
p.62 #3 · p.62 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Back in the Netherlands for a couple of weeks, and heard of the horrific Malaysia Airlines plane crash. Our thoughts are with all involved - we have been on that flight often.

We went to the local FEBO for some distraction, but the choices were hard:

And we enjoyed the view of the Markermeer, with a schooner passing in the distance:

Jul 18, 2014 at 07:08 PM
matsu131
• • •
p.62 #4 · p.62 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Long Beach harbor by mnhoj, on Flickr

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.62 #5 · p.62 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

A contender for better homes and gardens.

Cheers Ray

Jul 19, 2014 at 08:28 AM
matsu131
• • •
p.62 #6 · p.62 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

harbor lights by mnhoj, on Flickr

Jul 19, 2014 at 04:57 PM
markhout
• • •
p.62 #7 · p.62 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Today at the market in Leiden, The Netherlands.

Jul 19, 2014 at 09:04 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.62 #8 · p.62 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Renting a GR again to see if the FW 4 has improved the AF to my satisfaction. Love the size, handling, pop-up flash, and most of all IQ of the GR, but previously just had too low of keeper rate (especially in lower light) where the AF would confirm a lock but then be misfocused.

Wasn't every shot, but enough to be annoying, much like the Fuji X100 was.

Hopefully 3rd time is the charm and I can pick one up this week, while the nicely priced bundles are still being offered. I wouldn't otherwise buy the OVF, but if they want to throw a $200+ accessory in free, heck yeah I'll take it!

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:51 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.62 #9 · p.62 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

millsart wrote:
Renting a GR again to see if the FW 4 has improved the AF to my satisfaction. Love the size, handling, pop-up flash, and most of all IQ of the GR, but previously just had too low of keeper rate (especially in lower light) where the AF would confirm a lock but then be misfocused.

Wasn't every shot, but enough to be annoying, much like the Fuji X100 was.

Hopefully 3rd time is the charm and I can pick one up this week, while the nicely priced bundles are still being offered. I wouldn't otherwise buy the OVF, but if they
...Show more

2nd time around is working better for me. The FW has improved the AF enough for me and it's liberating carrying it around again. I ordered the bag for it coming from Japan, so I'm hoping it'll be sufficient enough as a small bag for the GR, my filters, and accessories (extra batteries, remote release, etc).

It's such a nice camera that it's put my a7 on the sideline because even that is too bulky to carry. I've actually started to contemplate using my GR as a main walk around camera and using a system camera for a backup/speciality. And if I'm going to use a system camera as a backup, might as well fill the niche that I need it to (super fast AF/tracking) for my growing daughter so I'm starting to consider returning to a DSLR.

I took my daughter to B&N and was able to get some great pictures if her playing around that I would never be able to take a ILC, even an a7 or a m4/3 camera too. The silent shutter, sleek black appearance, and sharp lens WO makes me very happy. Only thing I could really hope for is wifi to transfer quickly to my iPhone for quick uploads but I could always get an eye fi card.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:46 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.62 #10 · p.62 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I agree though about the A7 sometimes being too much to carry. As much as it is an insanely small camera for being FF, the A7 w/ 55/1.8 just isn't going to ever disappear into my pocket like the GR can.

Even the tiny m4/3 GM1 with a lens like the 20/1.7 isn't going to be as pocketable (jacket pocket yes, but not pants pocket anyways)

Also nice is that it conveniently shares batteries with my Sigma DP2m (giving a nice 21/28/45mm combo). Traveling with just one type of battery and charger is always a real plus for me as all that adapters, cables etc really start to take up space

Should be here Monday so will be exciting to give it a try again. Hopefully this one doesn't have sensor dust spots.

Jul 20, 2014 at 01:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

TMaG82
• • •
p.62 #11 · p.62 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

millsart wrote:
I agree though about the A7 sometimes being too much to carry. As much as it is an insanely small camera for being FF, the A7 w/ 55/1.8 just isn't going to ever disappear into my pocket like the GR can.

Even the tiny m4/3 GM1 with a lens like the 20/1.7 isn't going to be as pocketable (jacket pocket yes, but not pants pocket anyways)

Also nice is that it conveniently shares batteries with my Sigma DP2m (giving a nice 21/28/45mm combo). Traveling with just one type of battery and charger is always a real plus for me as all that
...Show more

Exactly, my thinking is if I'm going to have to carry a bag for short trips or 1-2 hour photo inspired outings, then I might as well carry something that will meet my requirements now. At this point I'm less about total IQ than I am about tracking and in focus shots. I love the IQ of the a7, don't like the missed shots of my daughter. At this point of my life I'd trade lesser IQ for fast, accurate AF, fast frame rate, and a deep buffer. I wouldn't have thought this weeks so but I'm about ready to buy back into the DSLR world.

Jul 20, 2014 at 03:41 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.62 #12 · p.62 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

millsart and TMaG82, welcome back. Hope you'll be happier with the camera this time. I have yet to update mine to the newest firmware, but I'll try and get to it this week.

Decaying cars, trucks & buses by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Edited on Aug 15, 2014 at 06:01 PM · View previous versions

Jul 20, 2014 at 04:20 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.62 #13 · p.62 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jul 21, 2014 at 01:42 AM
Randolph K

p.62 #14 · p.62 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

That does it. If a used GR pops up at a nice price, i'm buying it. Now I need to find one at a nice price. hehe.

Jul 21, 2014 at 05:46 AM
OO7MIKE
• • •
p.62 #15 · p.62 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

deadwolfbones wrote:
http://deadwolfbones.smugmug.com/Ipswich-Audubon-July-14/i-HDFwM9V/0/X2/BK020964-X2.jpg

WOW!

The ghosting and flare control is amazing! How is this possible?

Jul 21, 2014 at 06:30 AM
markhout
• • •
p.62 #16 · p.62 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

OO7MIKE wrote:
WOW!

The ghosting and flare control is amazing! How is this possible?

Even if I try flare it won't flare...

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.62 #17 · p.62 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

millsart wrote:

Also nice is that it conveniently shares batteries with my Sigma DP2m (giving a nice 21/28/45mm combo). Traveling with just one type of battery and charger is always a real plus for me as all that
...Show more

The GR shares batteries with the Merrills?

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.62 #18 · p.62 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

It does, yes.

Jul 21, 2014 at 01:03 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.62 #19 · p.62 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

galenapass wrote:
The GR shares batteries with the Merrills?

Sure does, and that means just one shared charger as well. The nice thing is that a battery that the DP2m reports as being dead still gives the GR quite a few shots, as its a far less power hungry camera.

Its rather nice because if your caught out without another fresh spare battery, you can pop the battery out of the GR, which likely is still pretty full, into the M, and the "dead" battery into the GR, and keep on shooting both cameras

Jul 21, 2014 at 04:02 PM
andrenth

p.62 #20 · p.62 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

How is the LCD screen of the GR in harsh light outdoors? This is a very tempting camera for me except for the lack of a viewfinder. I think my dream camera would be a GR but with an X100-style OVF... I mean, they managed to fit one in the old film GRs right?

Jul 21, 2014 at 04:17 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password