Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              60      
       62              75       76       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

markhout
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #1 · p.61 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

It was a nice summer day here in NYC, on the corner of Broadway and Houston. I only spent an hour or so in the city, and counted six tourists with new Leicas. The economy is picking up!

Lightroom only.

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:47 PM
Dougo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.61 #2 · p.61 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

By the river.

Cheers Ray

Jul 14, 2014 at 06:32 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.61 #3 · p.61 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Another from Fair Isle in Shetland. There's a nice B&B in the lighthouse where we stayed for three nights.

South Lighthouse by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Jul 14, 2014 at 09:47 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.61 #4 · p.61 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Most of Fair Isle can't be reached by car, so we walked a lot the three days we were here. On the tallest hill we found a radar station from WWII which has been broken down by rain and winds...

Jul 15, 2014 at 04:19 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.61 #5 · p.61 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Awesome Helena!

Jul 15, 2014 at 05:15 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.61 #6 · p.61 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thank you! Fair Isle was wonderful, my favorite part of the Shetland trip. Even though we only spent 3 days (out of 14) there that's where I took almost half of my photos.

Jul 15, 2014 at 06:36 PM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.61 #7 · p.61 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I am not sure I would drive over this old bridge.

Cheers Ray

Jul 16, 2014 at 07:22 AM
juan_amores
• •
p.61 #8 · p.61 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I'm new with my Ricoh GR, a great camera...

R0000043_F_ByN por John Loves, en Flickr

R0000103_F por John Loves, en Flickr

Jul 16, 2014 at 05:08 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.61 #9 · p.61 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Welcome Juan! Great to see more people in here.

Cows from Shetland:

Curious cow by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Jul 16, 2014 at 08:08 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.61 #10 · p.61 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Helena, what's your camera setup look like now and what's your usage between them?

Like a lot of us, I can't keep track of what you're using. I know you have/had an RX1, a X-A1, and probably some others, Just interested on seeing what's keeping you busy lately.

Jul 17, 2014 at 02:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

loosh
• •
p.61 #11 · p.61 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jul 17, 2014 at 02:53 AM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.61 #12 · p.61 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

A couple of an old abandoned hall.

Cheers Ray

Jul 17, 2014 at 08:06 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.61 #13 · p.61 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

TMaG82 wrote:
Helena, what's your camera setup look like now and what's your usage between them?

Like a lot of us, I can't keep track of what you're using. I know you have/had an RX1, a X-A1, and probably some others, Just interested on seeing what's keeping you busy lately.

Somehow I have ended up with three cameras..:
-RX1 has the best file quality, but I don't enjoy using it and often struggle with the colors, mainly greens and skin tones. I should sell it, but it has several issues so it needs to be serviced first and I haven't gotten around to that yet. Also, I'm reluctant to give up my only FF camera.
-Fuji X-A1 with 14mm and 50-230mm. Since it can do things the others can't I'll keep it until I find something that can replace both it and RX1.
-GR. My favorite and most used.

For local hiking I just take GR, sometimes with the GW-3 wide angle converter. For photo walks and urban traveling I add RX1, and for car trips also the Fuji. Works very well.

After advice from others I brought it all to Shetland (in total it only weighs about the same as 5D + ZE 35/1.4 that I had before - that's crazy!). I took about 300 photos. 55% with GR, 30% with Fuji 50-230 and 15% with RX1. In the end I only kept 8 photos from RX1, so it could have stayed at home. Same with the Fuji 14mm. Great lens, but I ended up doing panoramas with GR instead.

Jul 17, 2014 at 08:34 AM
unravel
• •
p.61 #14 · p.61 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

ive ignored my GR in favour of a7 for months now, but took it out recently and had a lot more fun doing street with it. still cant believe GR is as good as it is

heres a pic

Philadelphia by sabotag3, on Flickr

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.61 #15 · p.61 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Nice Serge. I really enjoy your work.

Crowsnest Pass

Ricoh GR (from jpg) by helimat, on Flickr

Jul 17, 2014 at 02:17 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.61 #16 · p.61 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
After advice from others I brought it all to Shetland (in total it only weighs about the same as 5D + ZE 35/1.4 that I had before - that's crazy!). I took about 300 photos. 55% with GR, 30% with Fuji 50-230 and 15% with RX1. In the end I only kept 8 photos from RX1, so it could have stayed at home. Same with the Fuji 14mm. Great lens, but I ended up doing panoramas with GR instead.

Sometimes I find it tough when I try to look at the number of keepers a given camera provides. Likewise, when I had my RX1, I wouldn't use it for all that many shots, but it did provide a few shots that had a very unique and lovely look which few if any other cameras can provide.

On one hand, I like a camera that gives me a high overall keeper rate, but sometimes those keepers are just "okay". Its hard to compare that with another camera that maybe only gave me a few shots I liked, but, if one of two of those shots are just magical, then that sometimes seems makes it seem worth it.

I found with m4/3 for example, that it was probably the most versatile overall system, and gave me the far highest number of keepers, due to that versatility and amazing AF etc, but, I wouldn't get anything that blew me away as far as overall look goes. I'd have plenty of decent shots, but few if any "wow" shots.

My RX1 often had annoying slow AF, otherwise felt limited with focal length etc, but when everything came together just right, the files were beautiful.

Hard to justify the expense and effort of carrying a camera just for a handful of shots though

Jul 17, 2014 at 03:54 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.61 #17 · p.61 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Welcome back unravel! I have always admired your street photography.

millsart, I agree with every word you wrote and that last line is exactly what I struggle with. I cringe when I think about how much I paid for RX1 and how seldom I use it. On the other hand; it has produced some of my favorite photos. Anyway, it's already paid for and I have had it for 19 months, so I won't sell it until I'm 100% sure that that is what I want to do.

Jul 17, 2014 at 04:13 PM
fotografur
• • • •
p.61 #18 · p.61 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

millsart wrote:
Sometimes I find it tough when I try to look at the number of keepers a given camera provides. Likewise, when I had my RX1, I wouldn't use it for all that many shots, but it did provide a few shots that had a very unique and lovely look which few if any other cameras can provide.

On one hand, I like a camera that gives me a high overall keeper rate, but sometimes those keepers are just "okay". Its hard to compare that with another camera that maybe only gave me a few shots I liked, but, if one of
...Show more

Of course everyone's definition of keepers is different.

One persons handful of " keepers" might be gallery wall worthy. While another' persons definition of "wow" shots may be only wow for them.

It's all in perspective.

Just saying

d~

Jul 17, 2014 at 09:37 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.61 #19 · p.61 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

fotografur wrote:
Of course everyone's definition of keepers is different.

One persons handful of " keepers" might be gallery wall worthy. While another' persons definition of "wow" shots may be only wow for them.

It's all in perspective.

Just saying

d~

Quite true its all totally subjective. Maybe I have shots on my wall that someone else would of put straight into the recycle bin.

In the end though, unless we are shooting for a client, we really only have to please ourselves, and unless your pulling a Ken Rockwell and getting Paypal donations to support your growing family lol, it is ourselves also footing the bill.

To that end, it doesn't really matter if we are using a camera that many forum members may deem "inferior" to other options, nor does it really make sense to foot the expense of certain gear just because of how great many people think it is.

Just all comes down to pleasing ourselves first and foremost, and doing it in a way that our own budgets can accommodate.

As luck would have it, generally when we are pleased with our gear, no matter what it is, we produce our best work. As such, sometimes we can "downgrade" our kit, into something that on paper may be less impressive, but the net result is more photographic output and more enjoyment from it.

When I had my Leica M9 kit for example, I often didn't get that much enjoy because I was always too aware of the fact I had about $12,000 in my shoulder bag. It was a great tool, but I don't know if I really enjoyed it that much all the time.

Jul 18, 2014 at 01:26 AM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.61 #20 · p.61 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

An interior shot of the old hall, not sure the tin of paint was up to it

Cheers Ray

Jul 18, 2014 at 01:39 AM
       62              75       76       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell