Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              51      
       53              79       80       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jochenb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #1 · p.52 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Yes I also have issues with the colors. They can be muted with a greenish tint. The GR also has a tendency to underexpose and the AWB isn't great. Still the best pocket camera though.

Apr 27, 2014 at 09:29 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.52 #2 · p.52 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Yes, I agree that it's the best pocket camera. Really amazing image quality from something so small.

A spring creek that will soon dry up and be gone:

Spring creek by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Apr 27, 2014 at 04:34 PM
CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.52 #3 · p.52 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Interesting the discussion on the GR's colors. I have noted that the colors are significantly different depending on the RAW converter used. I've just purchased a set of profiles for Adobe from Huelight for the GR ($10 for 3 profiles). I used the Huelight profiles for my M9 and found they gave me a better starting point for post-processing the files. We'll see if they help with the GR.

Nice shot Helena..looks like spring is finally arriving.

Apr 27, 2014 at 06:22 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.52 #4 · p.52 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thank you! Yes, spring is here finally, but it is moving so fast that if you blink you may miss it... Hard to believe that two weeks ago we had some snow and now some of the trees are green already.

Regarding colors: Today I took some landscape shots and the colors turned out great, so it seems like it's just in certain light that AWB is sometimes problematic. We'll see when I have used it more.

Please let us know what you think when you have tried the profiles!

Apr 27, 2014 at 09:43 PM
Ulff
• • •
p.52 #5 · p.52 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Cal, I'm very interested in your experiences with the profiles, too! I don't think that the color problem is mainly just due to a problematic AWB in some circumstances. I alter the WB and tint in Lightroom routinely for most images and this doesn't solve the color problems for me in most cases.

It's also interesting that you mention that the colors depend significantly on the raw converter used. I haven't tried to process the GR images with other raw converters than lightroom yet. Do you have better experiences with a specific other converter, Cal?

Regarding spring: yeah, it's here in Berlin for a few weeks already and the greens are just overwhelming!

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.52 #6 · p.52 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I went looking for an example of different colors from different RAW processors and realized that I was thinking of one from the GXR not the GR....getting old

Thought I'd try posting the same shot with different RAW/profiles I used 'Auto' WB and 'Auto tone' and no other postprocessing.

Capture One Pro 7.2

Adobe Lightroom 5.4 Standard

Huelight CF High V35

Huelight CF Low V35

Huelight CF Standard V35

Apr 28, 2014 at 02:31 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.52 #7 · p.52 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

My preliminary conclusion...Capture One is oversaturated, but probably the best color. I can get the Huelight Standard to an accurate (by memory) and pleasing result with only a bit more post-processing, so it would seem to be a good starting point.

Also, I need to switch to another browser... Internet Explorer totally messes up the colors, whereas Chrome seems to work much better.

Apr 28, 2014 at 02:43 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.52 #8 · p.52 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I also have the Huelight profiles (for all my cameras) and I'm not convinced about the GR ones. The blue channel seems to be a littlebit off. A blue sky remains blue with the standard LR profile (if you get the WB right)... but can turn more to purple when using the Huelight profiles. You can also see this in CVickery's examples.
Like Ullf says, only getting the WB right often isn't enough.

Here's a quick example that I shot out of my window. You can best open them in separate browser tabs.

uncorrected example

No adjustments, this is how LR standardly renders the file.
It really looks off. Dull, grey and greenish tint. Not the usual saturated colors during that golden hour.

corrected example

This really looks more like the real scene. I used an RX100II (which has great colors!) as an extra reference point.
I slightly warmed the WB, lifted exposure and most importantly: I need to edit individual color channels.
For this example I did this:

It needs tweaking for each image, but this is the only way for me to get the colors that I'm used seeing from my other cameras. Maybe this is useful info for you fellow GR users.

Apr 28, 2014 at 07:20 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.52 #9 · p.52 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

As I said the above are basically auto everything. To make the shot more accurate with the Huelight Standard profile I needed to move the Hue slider of the Blue primary to -19 to get rid of the extra magenta in the sky. I'm a bit disappointed to have to do this with the profiles.

Apr 28, 2014 at 01:54 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.52 #10 · p.52 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Interesting info about colors and profiles! Thanks to you both.

So far when my colors have been off it has often been consistent (mainly too purple blues and that Adobe makes yellows too green), so I saved the settings I used on a typical photo as a Preset and then tried it on several other shots, and it seems to work pretty well. Much faster than to start with Adobe's default anyway. I expect to tweak the preset when I have tried it some more.

Apr 28, 2014 at 02:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.52 #11 · p.52 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

GR AWB is not as good as on the GXR in RPP. (Did that sentence make sense for anyone outside the forum? Holy acronym!)

I use RRP for raw developing as I like the output, which for some is a little "flat" if not set up right. But, I think it works quite well. With the GXR RRP has been outstanding color wise, just today I took a shot of a loudspeaker I put together, hazelnut metallic against a burgundy back drop. I expected some work to get the colors right (easy to verify as the speaker is in the adjacent room) but all I did was open it up in the preset profile and - presto - done. Just like that.

The GR does really well with RPP as well but not quite to the same extent as the GXR. I still have the GXR and the 50 macro for docu work as it is a very smooth ride in post pro with RPP, once set up.

Apr 28, 2014 at 06:44 PM
fotographiq
• • •
p.52 #12 · p.52 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Does Ricoh have any plans for a zoom version of this camera, or a ~50mm equivalent?

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:44 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.52 #13 · p.52 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Getting back to posting pics, I worked a bit more with a couple more shots from the same day as my samples above...can't wait for summer

Apr 29, 2014 at 03:34 AM
helimat
• • • •
p.52 #14 · p.52 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Nice Cal.

I had save a machine that was stuck at 8600' a few days ago. It will be a day I remember for a long time. I am glad I had my GR with me.

Ricoh GR by helimat, on Flickr

Apr 30, 2014 at 05:01 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.52 #15 · p.52 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Sweet shots Mat. Looks a lot colder than mine... I have my GR in a hard case and throw it in whatever bag I'm taking with me so I always have it around. Unfortunately I'm an accountant so the scenery that I encounter is nothing like you would.

I sense a bit of magenta in the skies in your shots. This seems to be a tendency of the GR when it encounters a lot of blue.

Apr 30, 2014 at 05:09 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.52 #16 · p.52 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Very nice helimat! Not sure I understand the text though? Was a helicopter stuck up there and you saved the people who was in it? Sounds exciting either way.

CVickery, I like the first one with the people on the pier.

I agree that GR has a tendency for magenta when there is a lot of blue, but find the colors realistic in the helicopter photos. At least up here where I live the sky often is quite purple, especially when there is snow.

Speaking of snow... The other day I said we're well into spring but today it's snowing...

Apr 30, 2014 at 06:35 AM
Ulff
• • •
p.52 #17 · p.52 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Great discussion on the possibilities to make the GR-colors more appropriate in some situations! I will experiment myself with these possibilities as soon as time allows.

Meanwhile I have found some kind of a solution for my monitor calibration problem that Jochen brought up some pages ago. I wasn't able to differentiate between black and dark grey.

First, I blamed my calibration device (DTP94), because it is a well known problem, that older calibration devices have problems with newer wide gamut screens and panels with background illumination. But then I discovered, that irregardless of what settings (contrast, brightness) I change at my monitor (Dell 3008wfp), it wasn't possible to differentiate black from dark grey. My laptop screen had exactly the same problem. Tests of my calibrations profiles supported the lack of differentiation in the deep shadows where they deviated most from the target values. After hours and hours of trying, I finally had the idea, to alter the black point in the calibration software. Lifting the black point a bit finally brought some light in the mystic realm of undiscovered dark shadows and now I see light! Thanks again Jochen, for bringing this up!

May 02, 2014 at 01:45 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.52 #18 · p.52 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ulff wrote:
Thanks again Jochen, for bringing this up!

You're welcome. Great to hear that you found a solution!

May 02, 2014 at 08:06 AM
beetlephoto
• •
p.52 #19 · p.52 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

The Greys' HQ by beetlephoto, on Flickr

May 03, 2014 at 10:51 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.52 #20 · p.52 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
Very nice helimat! Not sure I understand the text though? Was a helicopter stuck up there and you saved the people who was in it? Sounds exciting either way.

Thanks!
The machine had been stuck up there for 10 days due to weather, but the crew and customers managed to get down after the first 3. We had to wait for a weather window big enough to prepare for flight to get back down; It was frozen stiff and took about 2 hours to get into an airworthy state.

May 04, 2014 at 01:23 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password