Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              45      
       47              63       64       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

ggweci

Upload & Sell: Off
p.46 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Citytv by Craig's Collection, on Flickr

Warning by Craig's Collection, on Flickr

Mar 02, 2014 at 03:17 AM
Ulff
• • •
p.46 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
For the people that don't see the problem, take a look at a greyscale:

greyscale

Every bar has a different tone, therefore you should be able to differentiate every single bar. They're numbered. I suspect that bar 0 and 8 look exactly the same on your monitors... black. You should see a difference between those two though. Sorry for going offtopic, but it might be helpful in general.

That's exactly the case: even after recalibration of my monitor I'm not able to differentiate 0 and 8, even 16 is difficult. Everything else is easy to tell apart. As a work around I will use the gamma adjustment of the histogramm to check for those unwanted effects like in the last image. As another work around, I use levels to crop a bit on the left. This is the result, hope it is OK now:

Mar 03, 2014 at 02:23 AM
Ulff
• • •
p.46 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

And another image from this series (sky is blurred):

Mar 03, 2014 at 02:25 AM
owyhee
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.46 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Great Image Ulff

Mar 06, 2014 at 02:55 AM
owyhee
• •
p.46 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Out in the desert in northern Nevada

GR    18.3 mm f/2.8 lens    18mm    f/4.5    1/80s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Mar 06, 2014 at 02:56 AM
markhout
• •
p.46 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Another foggy day today in Hong Kong airport...

Silver Efex pro 2

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:41 AM
nicoimages
• •
p.46 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ulff fantastic images and great PP very well done !- I have a calibrated (Spyder 4) NEC monitor and can not see the problem.

Mar 08, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.46 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

nicoimages wrote:
Ulff fantastic images and great PP very well done !- I have a calibrated (Spyder 4) NEC monitor and can not see the problem.

Interesting... I still can and overlaying a histogram confirms exactly what I see on my screen. I don't want to keep going on about it, but a lot of displays and/or calibrations seem to be a littlebit off.
Btw, your last one is also stunning Ullf.

Mar 08, 2014 at 11:27 AM
nicoimages
• •
p.46 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jochen have tried the same image on my ipad and macbook pro (both with retina diplays) too and still can't see it. What calibrator / screen are you using?

Mar 08, 2014 at 02:07 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.46 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

How do you get the histogram to display like that?
Is this with CS6?

Jochenb wrote:
Ullf, very nice but please fix one thing. It's very obvious that you pasted the cloud in. I clearly see the shape of your cutting around it.
Edit: I see that you've now replaced the photo, but it got even worse. You painted black around the cloud. Seems like you don't use a calibrated monitor? One that's too dark. Look when you overlay a histogram:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7349/12800058235_e568d3dd65_o.jpg
The sky isn't true black, but dark grey. You see the black that you've painted around the cloud.

Mar 08, 2014 at 02:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jochenb
• • •
p.46 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Nico, on my ipad I also don't see it... because it's not calibrated at all. At the moment I'm typing this on my macbook air which has a very crappy screen, yet I still see the difference between black and the darkest grey (so I also see the "issue") because it has a good calibration. I'm using x-rite i1 display 2 for calibration which apparently it's doing a very good job.
Buggz2k, the easy way to do it is use the histogram in silver efex pro.

Here's the proof:

The pure black is marked. The sky gradient abruptly turns from dark grey to pure black and you can see the shape of the painted black under the cloud. Around the cloud is still dark grey, so not marked.

I'll quote myself.

Jochenb wrote:
For the people that don't see the problem, take a look at a greyscale:

greyscale

Every bar has a different tone, therefore you should be able to differentiate every single bar. They're numbered. I suspect that bar 0 and 8 look exactly the same on your monitors... black. You should see a difference between those two though. Sorry for going offtopic, but it might be helpful in general.

Those of you that don't notice what I'm saying are also not seeing a difference between bar 0 and 8 of that greyscale. Indicating a bad calibration.
This is going way offtopic, but I think it might be a help for many of you. This is not criticism, but your calibrations really are a bit off.

*edit: it seems like the link to that greyscale is dead, here's another one:
greyscale

Mar 08, 2014 at 03:22 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.46 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Another stunning photo Ulff!
However, I too see the black "patch" clearly on my screen (Dell 2410 if I remember correctly, and it is calibrated).

Mar 08, 2014 at 04:29 PM
Ulff
• • •
p.46 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

That some of you can see things in my image I'm not able to see even after a recalibration of my screen is really annoying for me and my workflow. Even although I can "see" it while playing with the gamma level of the histogram there's nothing I can do about it visually at the moment (should I play with the gamma level of my calibration software? my monitor is not able to adjust gamma directly). I hope that not too many of my images are affected by this problem (here are some candidates with similar processing: images).
@ Jochen: is your last histogram overlay from "zone 0" in silver effects? I ask because my overlay is a bit different in the sense that is goes further downwards in the image; the patch around the cloud is identically although.
@ Helena: thanks! Are there any news from your GR? Do you got it back already?

Mar 09, 2014 at 12:35 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.46 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ulff, that must be really frustrating. Hope it'll work out for you.

I checked out your 1X photos (wow) and didn't see issues with any of them. I didn't really scrutinize them though, since I was so taken with the artistic aspect.

No news about my GR yet. It has been about 5 weeks now, so hopefully I'll get it back soon. I haven't called them, but they said they'll send me an email or SMS when I can go and pick it up at the shop.

Mar 09, 2014 at 09:36 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.46 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ulff, yes zone 0. It confirms what I see on my screens. I didn't do anything special to the gamma settings, I just let the calibration do it's thing. Must be frustrating for you! I checked your work at 1x and don't notice any of these problems with black. Stunning work!

Mar 09, 2014 at 09:55 AM
ggweci

p.46 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Lower Simcoe by Craig's Collection, on Flickr

Clock Tower by Craig's Collection, on Flickr

Where did we park? by Craig's Collection, on Flickr

Text break by Craig's Collection, on Flickr

Mar 09, 2014 at 03:56 PM
owyhee
• •
p.46 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ulff, I too visited your web page. Great work you have created.

Thanks,
Aaron

Mar 11, 2014 at 02:42 AM
Geoff Brown
• •
p.46 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Street shots, Nashville.

Untitled by G. L. Brown, on Flickr

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:02 PM
owyhee
• •
p.46 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Nice images you have there Geoff Brown. It would be nice to see them a little larger.

Aaron

Mar 14, 2014 at 02:11 AM
sflxn
• • •
p.46 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Some from my current travels. Straight from camera jpeg, some light editing on Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. This is an experiment to see if a mobile workflow can be good enough for web posting. I love the BW from the GR. These were shot with hi contrast BW. In the past, I've always done BW in Silver Efex, but these looked pretty good so I went with them. I am shooting the GR along side a NEX 7 and A7R. The mobile workflow for the A7R is the easiest. It is ok for the GR, and impossible for the NEX 7. This all has to do with ease of getting the files on my tablet. The A7R wifi makes it easy. I can connect the GR directly to the tablet, but photo selection is not as easy and transfer is slow. So far, I have only tried editing the jpeg. Next up, the RAWs. The apps I am used was Aviary and a resizing app, but I'll probably use Snapseed from now on.

so far, my opinion is that mobile workflow for the web is very good, esp after I saw the results of my A7R files processed through snapseed. It won't replace LR and a laptop, but it works very well. I will trY to reprocess one of the RAWs from this set and post it later.

Mar 14, 2014 at 06:53 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password