Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              44      
       46              63       64       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

j.liam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.45 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

beetlephoto wrote:
It's actually more 10MP than 13-14MP in 35mm mode.

I stand corrected; I looked into it again and in the 3:2 aspect ratio, it's 10.32MP. Probably a hair more at 4:3.

Feb 24, 2014 at 07:48 PM
John Wolf
• •
p.45 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

While hiking in southeast Arizona recently, we met this old woman on a steep, rocky trail. She had such a nice face and kind personality that, as we chatted, I couldn't help but grab a hip shot. I thought about asking her for a photo, but I think it wouldn't have been the same.

John

Feb 24, 2014 at 08:02 PM
Swissfondue

p.45 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

A morning in Bern. http://500px.com/photo/62173859

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:53 PM
ebrandon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.45 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Hello there, I've posted a lot elsewhere on FM, but I'm a first time poster to this thread. Looks like an entirely different community of talented photographers!

The GR is one of my primary cameras for travel. But when I'm home, the GR is the camera I bring when I'm "not bringing a camera". Invariably get fun shots when you least expect it.

Anyway here's a few images from yesterday, wandering around in San Francisco.

Feb 26, 2014 at 01:35 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.45 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Very Nice! ^^^^

Feb 26, 2014 at 02:24 AM
ggweci

p.45 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

The Canadian Men's Hockey team won Olympic Gold on Sunday morning (after the Women's team had done the same a couple of days prior), so many people took to the streets to celebrate. Had the GR in tow to capture some of the fun.

Rock On Canada! by Craig's Collection, on Flickr

Taking advantage of national pride by Craig's Collection, on Flickr

Maple Leaf by Craig's Collection, on Flickr

Heavily cropped:

Flag run by Craig's Collection, on Flickr

Celebrating in the streets by Craig's Collection, on Flickr

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:34 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.45 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Since I'm Swedish I was very reluctant to click Like on that set. But I do like it, so...

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Ulff
• • •
p.45 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

A capture during a walk in Berlin last weekend:

Feb 26, 2014 at 01:46 PM
markhout
• •
p.45 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ulff wrote:
A capture during a walk in Berlin last weekend:

Wow! Excellent work Ulff.

Feb 26, 2014 at 04:15 PM
ebrandon
• • •
p.45 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ulff wrote:
A capture during a walk in Berlin last weekend

Super cool image. Great processing.

Feb 26, 2014 at 05:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

HelenaN
• • •
p.45 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Agree, that is stunning Ulff! Almost surreal.

I miss my GR so much... Hope to have it back in a week or two.

Feb 26, 2014 at 07:07 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.45 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ullf, very nice but please fix one thing. It's very obvious that you pasted the cloud in. I clearly see the shape of your cutting around it.
Edit: I see that you've now replaced the photo, but it got even worse. You painted black around the cloud. Seems like you don't use a calibrated monitor? One that's too dark. Look when you overlay a histogram:

The sky isn't true black, but dark grey. You see the black that you've painted around the cloud.

Feb 26, 2014 at 07:35 PM
Ulff
• • •
p.45 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thanks for all the feedback! Jochen, thanks for the hint with the cloud. I moved the cloud from the original on a separate layer and blended it later in again. You are correct: I haven't seen the error on my monitor. Where you see dark grey, I see black. It's really a pity that my monitor, although it is calibrated, seems not very good in resolving these nuances. On my laptop screen I've seen the first error you pointed to. I then corrected the image quick and dirty and replaced it with the version you see above. The difference between true black and dark grey is not detectable for me on both my monitor and my laptop screen.

Is Jochens monitor especially good in resolving these fine nuances or are my screens escpecially bad?

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.45 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ulff wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback! Jochen, thanks for the hint with the cloud. I moved the cloud from the original on a separate layer and blended it later in again. You are correct: I haven't seen the error on my monitor. Where you see dark grey, I see black. It's really a pity that my monitor, although it is calibrated, seems not very good in resolving these nuances. On my laptop screen I've seen the first error you pointed to. I then corrected the image quick and dirty and replaced it with the version you see above. The difference between
...Show more

That's what I thought (because you certainly don't lack the skills) and the reason why I showed the histogram overlay. It's difficult to correct what you don't see. Sounds like a bad calibration or monitor to me. I use a Dell U2410 myself, nothing special. Calibrated with X-rite i1 display 2.
I hope you'll figure it out, because it can be a stunning photo.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:47 PM
Ulff
• • •
p.45 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thanks again, Jochen. I will try to recalibrate my monitor. Actually I always suspected that my monitor doesn't resolve the bright tones very good, because my prints turn out always too dark. The differences I see in dark grey areas on my screen tend to be black in prints, irregardless of what laboratory I send them to. The problem with this image seems to be just in the opposite direction... I use a Dell 3008 btw.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:13 AM
alwang
• • •
p.45 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ulff, the border around the cloud is very obvious on my monitor as well (which happens to also be a Dell).

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:56 AM
owyhee
• •
p.45 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ulff, your image looks great on my monitor.

Feb 27, 2014 at 03:48 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.45 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

For the people that don't see the problem, take a look at a greyscale:

greyscale

Every bar has a different tone, therefore you should be able to differentiate every single bar. They're numbered. I suspect that bar 0 and 8 look exactly the same on your monitors... black. You should see a difference between those two though. Sorry for going offtopic, but it might be helpful in general.

Feb 27, 2014 at 08:33 AM
markhout
• •
p.45 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thanks Jochen et al for these very good points. If I squint I can see what you mean (and I am using a calibrated, but cheap Dell monitor).

The interesting aspect of the discussion is that the distribution of greytones is exactly the appeal of the image...

It also reminds me that monitors, browsers and color management are still the weak links of any photosharing site.

Feb 27, 2014 at 04:08 PM
John Wolf
• •
p.45 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

ebrandon wrote:
Hello there, I've posted a lot elsewhere on FM, but I'm a first time poster to this thread. Looks like an entirely different community of talented photographers!

The GR is one of my primary cameras for travel. But when I'm home, the GR is the camera I bring when I'm "not bringing a camera". Invariably get fun shots when you least expect it.

Anyway here's a few images from yesterday, wandering around in San Francisco.

I like the surreal quality of these images very much. Nice work.

John

Feb 27, 2014 at 06:00 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password