Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              41      
       43              79       80       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.42 #1 · p.42 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
Argh, my GR stopped working today! When I turned it off the lens didn't retract fully and now I can't start it again. I tried a different battery, but it didn't help. So disappointed.

As soon as possible I'll stop by the shop and I guess they will send it in for repair. I wonder how long that will take and if this will happen again in future.

Now I'm glad to have more than one camera...

How many shots/ how long have you owned it? This has me a little concerned after my recent GR Freeze Up experience. Was the other battery you tried freshly charged? The strength/ voltage may make a difference.

Jan 28, 2014 at 05:16 PM
HelenaN
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.42 #2 · p.42 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Tariq Gibran wrote:
How many shots/ how long have you owned it? This has me a little concerned after my recent GR Freeze Up experience. Was the other battery you tried freshly charged? The strength/ voltage may make a difference.

I bought it six weeks ago and have taken about 900 photos. The other battery I tried was full, but it was a cheap one I bought via eBay. The one that was in the camera when it stopped working was the original battery though.

My camera froze up once this weekend, for the first time. Sorry that it has happened to you too. I didn't worry about it and had already forgotten about it, but now I wonder if it's related. This is worrying and disappointing, because I had started to really like this camera.

Jan 28, 2014 at 05:27 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.42 #3 · p.42 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
My camera froze up once this weekend, for the first time. Sorry that it has happened to you too. I didn't worry about it and had already forgotten about it, but now I wonder if it's related. This is worrying and disappointing, because I had started to really like this camera.

Thanks. That's good info to know. I'm still within my return period so will have to give this some thought. The lens is so damn great which really make me hesitate in returning it. Of course, I also have my RX1, which has been rock solid (knock on wood).

You might try recharging the original batter fully and then see if the camera works with it before sending it in. Sometimes people suggest leaving a battery out of the camera for a day or so before trying to revive things. I don't know if it's relevant here.

Jan 28, 2014 at 05:44 PM
nohackle

p.42 #4 · p.42 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

helena,
so sorry to hear of your troubles and hoping for a quick resolution. Appreciate you letting us know about the problem and it certainly gives we new owners a bit of pause that others are having similar
issues. The best to both of you for fully functional GR's in short order

bill

Jan 28, 2014 at 06:04 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.42 #5 · p.42 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

The original battery is fully charged now, but unfortunately the camera still is dead with the lens only partly retracted. I'll try and find time tomorrow to go to the store where I bought it. Thank you for trying to help and good luck with your decision!

EDIT: Thanks to nohackle too!

Edited on Jan 28, 2014 at 07:01 PM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2014 at 06:05 PM
nohackle

p.42 #6 · p.42 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Is it possible that these freezing incidents have been seen more frequently in folks using the adapter and 21 mm lens?. ( may just be the fact that adapter users are more serious about their hobby and take more pics) Can't say I can think of a cause and effect .....just thinking out loud. Tariq.....do you have the adapter as well ?

again best to you both

Jan 28, 2014 at 06:13 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.42 #7 · p.42 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

nohackle wrote:
Is it possible that these freezing incidents have been seen more frequently in folks using the adapter and 21 mm lens?. ( may just be the fact that adapter users are more serious about their hobby and take more pics) Can't say I can think of a cause and effect .....just thinking out loud. Tariq.....do you have the adapter as well ?

again best to you both

Thanks. My camera is only about a week old with under 300 shots. I don't use any adapters/ other lenses. The only thing I could possibly come up with was that I had been using a Sandisk memory card of the same speed - 95mb/s- as a few others that experienced the freezing issue. It occurred once this past Friday. I have shot a little since with no issues.

Helena, out of curiosity, which firmware were you on for the initial freeze and this final freeze? Were you using a Sandisk card? I'm really curious if there is any pattern.

Jan 28, 2014 at 06:26 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.42 #8 · p.42 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

nohackle, I do use the wide angle converter, but can't imagine that that has anything to with it, because it doesn't touch GR's lens.

Tariq, not sure about firmware version, but I have never updated it.
The card I use is a 16GB Sandisk Extreme 45 mb/s.

Jan 28, 2014 at 06:45 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.42 #9 · p.42 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Sorry to hear that Helena!
There's a lot of talk about freezing GRs on the web. Usually it's just a matter of reinserting the battery, but your problem obviously sounds more severe.

Nohackle: I also use the 21mm converter and it's not possible that it would cause any problems. It just sits on the gh3 adapter in front of the lens.
My GR hasn't frozen yet. I also use a Sandisk SD card.

Jan 28, 2014 at 06:46 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.42 #10 · p.42 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
nohackle, I do use the wide angle converter, but can't imagine that that has anything to with it, because it doesn't touch GR's lens.

Tariq, not sure about firmware version, but I have never updated it.
The card I use is a 16GB Sandisk Extreme 45 mb/s.

Mine occurred with the previous 2.x firmware. I'm now on the recent firmware 3 update. My camera originally had 1.x firmware which I guess is what you have.

Sandisk cards are widely used so probably just coincidence. I did start using my Transcend card since the freeze just to see if it might have been a variable.

Jan 28, 2014 at 07:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

j.liam
• • • •
p.42 #11 · p.42 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Threads on DPReview also mention problems with the fast Sandisk cards. I've only used mine with an Eye-Fi 16 gig card and after a few hundred shots, no issues at all.

Jan 28, 2014 at 07:52 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.42 #12 · p.42 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I think the old firmware might be more to blame than the brand of SD card.

Jan 28, 2014 at 08:10 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.42 #13 · p.42 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
I think the old firmware might be more to blame than the brand of SD card.

So, any firmware prior to the one released this past week? I was on the immediately previous one when it happened and Helena was likely on the 1.x version.

Jan 28, 2014 at 08:26 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.42 #14 · p.42 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Tariq Gibran wrote:
So, any firmware prior to the one released this past week? I was on the immediately previous one when it happened and Helena was likely on the 1.x version.

I'm just guessing, because I use the exact same SD card as Helena. No issues so far. I'm still on FW 2.03, but I believe Helena still is on 1.x.

Jan 28, 2014 at 08:44 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.42 #15 · p.42 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
I'm just guessing, because I use the exact same SD card as Helena. No issues so far. I'm still on FW 2.03, but I believe Helena still is on 1.x.

Yeah, I don't know (I just looked at the EXIF and mine froze using 2.03 so if it is firmware related, you may want to upgrade). Maybe it's just a random fluke (some have reported freezes that never occurred again) or maybe in some cases, it points to a more serious issue. I just don't know, which is the worst part. When my freeze occurred, I was actually doing a small job but had two other cameras with me so no big deal. If I only had the GR though - say on vacation or travel - I would be pretty upset if it randomly died.

Jan 28, 2014 at 09:16 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.42 #16 · p.42 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

My Ricoh photocopier has worked great since we got it, so make sure you work that data point into the "this is a widespread phenomenon" analysis.

Jan 28, 2014 at 09:34 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.42 #17 · p.42 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

corposant wrote:
My Ricoh photocopier has worked great since we got it, so make sure you work that data point into the "this is a widespread phenomenon" analysis.

Yeah, my Ricoh Pentax K3 has worked flawlessly except for one minor issue - it keeps spitting out photocopies through that second SD card slot..at about 8 copies per second!

Jan 28, 2014 at 09:56 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.42 #18 · p.42 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

The store will send it off for repair. He said it should take 4-6 weeks, but I got the impression that he was just guessing. I miss the little camera already!

Jochen, yes, nothing happened when I pressed the shutter, or any other button for that matter. The guy in the store tried it too.

Edited on Jan 30, 2014 at 07:02 AM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2014 at 07:45 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.42 #19 · p.42 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Last one is very vivid Helena. Sorry to hear about your GR.

Regarding the freeze up I am putting that last update on hold until I know whether it is firmware related or not.

Jan 29, 2014 at 09:20 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.42 #20 · p.42 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

kosmoskatten wrote:
Regarding the freeze up I am putting that last update on hold until I know whether it is firmware related or not.

The just released last Firmware update was 3.x and the previous one was 2.03. My freeze happened with 2.03 so if it is firmware related, you would not want to be on 2.03. I don't believe it is firmware though as there were a number of folks who had freezes with the initial firmware - 1.x whatever. One might also expect that the latest firmware would address the issue if it had already showed up with the earlier firmwares (if it were firmware related).

As far as the freeze itself - not the complete failure that Helena experienced - I'm more apt to suspect the GR may be hyper sensitive to certain SD cards (it could even be a specific card and not say all cards in a range). I have always been a little suspicious of the Extreme Pro Sandisk card I was using as it seemed slower than other cards I own which are rated at a much slower speed (slower transfers to computer and slower response in most cameras versus the other cards). Just sort of a "feeling" though.

Jan 29, 2014 at 09:37 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password