Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              39      
       41              71       72       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

j.liam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #1 · p.40 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

A few things from my recent purchase of the GR that may be unknown to some but already known to others, so I beg the indulgence of the latter group:

--The GV-2 OVF is TINY, much smaller than I thought and really solves my aversion to rear LCD's. Beyond something like 10 meters, the parallax mismatch becomes a diminishing issue. Recommend it highly if it can be gotten for less than list. Found one on eBay for $150. Has 1:1 frame lines when you want to 'Hasselblad' and shoot squares.

--Glancing at the GR's battery I realized it was physically identical to the battery of my Leica DLUX 4, though rated at higher mAh. Furthermore, the battery charger works great. Out of curiosity, I searched eBay for the Panasonic LX-3 charger, the Leica's doppelgänger, and found one for $10. I picked up an extra one for travel.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:13 PM
owyhee
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.40 #2 · p.40 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Oak leaves with Silver EF2

Oak Leaves

GR    18.3 mm f/2.8 lens    18mm    f/2.8    1/80s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Jan 21, 2014 at 02:15 AM
helimat
• • • •
p.40 #3 · p.40 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

j.liam wrote:
--Glancing at the GR's battery I realized it was physically identical to the battery of my Leica DLUX 4, though rated at higher mAh. Furthermore, the battery charger works great. Out of curiosity, I searched eBay for the Panasonic LX-3 charger, the Leica's doppelgänger, and found one for $10. I picked up an extra one for travel.

That's interesting. Also worth noting that the Sigma DP2 Merrill battery is the same as well, different part number but same specs & physical shape.

Jan 21, 2014 at 03:16 AM
subidiom
• •
p.40 #4 · p.40 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I usually hang out over in the Nikon Gear forum and recently discovered this thread. Lots of amazing examples of what the GR is capable of. It's also makes a nice lightweight piece of kit for hiking. Amazing quality in a light weight package is all one could ask for when packing it in!

Here are some shots from a recent trip up to Camp Schurman on Mt. Rainier. The last image is a 100% crop from the third showing how amazingly sharp this little camera is. Who needs a telephoto when you can crop in this tight?

Plane over St. Elmo Pass

GR    18.3 mm f/2.8 lens    18mm    f/5.6    1/800s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Inter Glacier

GR    18.3 mm f/2.8 lens    18mm    f/8.0    1/1250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Inter Glacier Crevasse

Inter Glacier Crevasse (100% crop)

Jan 21, 2014 at 04:16 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.40 #5 · p.40 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ryan, what wonderfully fun series.
owyhee, very nice tones and textures.
subidiom, looks like a fantastic hike, I'm envious. Really like the first two.

Frozen leaf by Helena Normark, on Flickr

A world under the ice by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Jan 21, 2014 at 09:59 AM
markhout
• •
p.40 #6 · p.40 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Bump.

Shot the day before yesterday, when it was still reasonably warm...

Lightroom 5 only.

Jan 22, 2014 at 08:52 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.40 #7 · p.40 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Very nice composition and atmosphere Mark. Love it when there is a thin layer of snow like that.

We went across the mountains to Sweden this weekend and passed the frozen waterfall again (used the GW-3 wide angle converter and also stitched several shots - not optimal but it was -15C and strong winds, so I had to be quick):

Rista falls revisited - more ice now by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Jan 22, 2014 at 09:19 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.40 #8 · p.40 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Still nice Helena, but I prefer your previous photo of that waterfall because it still showed running water. Interesting to see the difference though.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:31 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.40 #9 · p.40 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

weekh wrote:
http://www.lens-scape.com/gr/f.jpg

Hope this lens is a little wider for this shot... can't wait for the 21mm adapter.

That is a gorgeous shot. I might have to look into getting one of these things in the Spring!

Jan 23, 2014 at 01:13 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.40 #10 · p.40 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thanks Jochen (and everyone else for the likes). Yes, I agree. Also the layer of snow made the ice formations look less interesting, but it's still a great place for photography. Wish it hadn't been so windy and cold, because I would have liked to climb around and take some detail shots.

Jan 23, 2014 at 08:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.40 #11 · p.40 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Helena: I would love to see a B&W version of the last one, the frusna vattenfallet.

Jan 23, 2014 at 04:47 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.40 #12 · p.40 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

kosmoskatten wrote:
Helena: I would love to see a B&W version of the last one, the frusna vattenfallet.

Thanks, I tried that first but couldn't come up with something good. I don't know if it's my lack of processing skills or if the subject isn't as suitable as one would think. Maybe not enough details in the ice?

Hope others will post photos soon, because I have some more but don't want to take over the thread.

Jan 23, 2014 at 06:27 PM
markhout
• •
p.40 #13 · p.40 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
Thanks, I tried that first but couldn't come up with something good. I don't know if it's my lack of processing skills or if the subject isn't as suitable as one would think. Maybe not enough details in the ice?

I could not resist the temptation but ended up agreeing with you. It is better in color.

And I thought it would be nice to have an ever so slightly warm gradient for the sky to counter the green ice on the low right.

I kept these images small as to not to distract the thread too much, and apologies for messing with your beautiful image. That is not proper internet etiquette.

Jan 23, 2014 at 07:08 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.40 #14 · p.40 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Nice processing Mark! Fun to see what someone else can do with your pictures.

Regarding the sky: Just outside the frame to the right it was a beautifully pink and orange. If I had had more time and better shoes (and less wind!) I would have tried to get over to the other side and then maybe it would have been possible to get those colors in the background. Don't know how the falls look from that angle though, probably not as interesting, I think.

Jan 23, 2014 at 07:25 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.40 #15 · p.40 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Love the IQ from my new GR but I had a major hiccup today while shooting. After about 24 shots over a three minute period, the GR completely froze up. The only solution was to pull the battery. This is with the most current Firmware. Is anyone else experiencing freezes with their GR?

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:48 PM
nohackle

p.40 #16 · p.40 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

just picked one up last week and have really enjoyed discovering all it can do.......thought I would provide this link I came across, with similar observations, in the process of my way too exhaustive research. No problems with my camera so far but just scratched the surface

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51535541

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:40 AM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.40 #17 · p.40 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I have encountered it exactly once.

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Love the IQ from my new GR but I had a major hiccup today while shooting. After about 24 shots over a three minute period, the GR completely froze up. The only solution was to pull the battery. This is with the most current Firmware. Is anyone else experiencing freezes with their GR?

Jan 24, 2014 at 01:10 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.40 #18 · p.40 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Not a great shot, but I'm pretty excited about today's beer haul:

Jan 24, 2014 at 01:14 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.40 #19 · p.40 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

nohackle wrote:
just picked one up last week and have really enjoyed discovering all it can do.......thought I would provide this link I came across, with similar observations, in the process of my way too exhaustive research. No problems with my camera so far but just scratched the surface

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51535541

Thanks for the link. Very helpful! I thought I had read something previously about freezing but suspected it might be related to early firmware. It's not. I do find it suspicious though that my freeze occurred while using a 95MB/s Sandisk card like a few others in that thread. Although it's claimed to not be related to the card, I'm going to try a different card and see if it re-occurs.

Jan 24, 2014 at 01:24 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.40 #20 · p.40 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Wow, Ricoh is really churning out the GR firmware. Version 3 has just been released. My favorite new feature is folder naming by date. Finally!

http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/ricoh-gr-firmware-v3-00-released.html

Jan 24, 2014 at 02:15 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password