Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              37      
       39              50       51       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

Blackout

Upload & Sell: Off
p.38 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I'm a recent adopter of the Ricoh GR. Lovely output. I should have bought this gem before!

Jan 12, 2014 at 06:48 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.38 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Welcome Blackout! What a nice start.

Edited on Jan 12, 2014 at 10:35 PM · View previous versions

Jan 12, 2014 at 08:06 PM
millsart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.38 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Helena, how are you finding the 21mm setting using the GW3 adapter compared to your 14mm on the Fuji ?

Sadly the GW3 seems next to impossible to find in the US, may have to order one for Japan via Ebay or Amazon. Looks quite impressive in web shots, though the 14mm Fuji is of course a stellar lens and likely would hold a bit of an edge still.

I'm especially curious about the GW3 as I've also seen some decent looking samples of it using the RX1. Have you ever tried it on there for about a 25-ish mm equiv ?

Jan 12, 2014 at 08:36 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.38 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

millsart, it's hard to answer that question because for some things X-E1 + 14mm is better than GR + GW3 and for other subjects it's the other way around. Overall I'd say that Fuji 14mm is clearly sharper in the corners than GW3. With my GW3 corners can be a bit soft even at f/8 and there is some purple fringing too, but that is easily removed.

Since I sometimes find x-trans problematic in Lightroom I tend to use GR for wide photos now, but I'm still in the honeymoon phase with it, so I don't know if that situation will last. I love shooting with X-E1 and colors rarely need any tweaking. Also, I'm not a pixel peeper so why do I even worry about a slight pixel smudging... Easier said than done though, and currently I'm confused and unsure, so I'll keep all three cameras (these two + RX1) for now and see what happens.

I did try GW3 on RX1 but wasn't impressed. The "bare" GR is way better so I much rather carry RX1 + GR than RX1 + GW3, and it's actually a bit lighter too, and of course more convenient since I don't have to keep screwing a converter on and off.

Jan 12, 2014 at 08:58 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.38 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

millsart wrote:
Helena, how are you finding the 21mm setting using the GW3 adapter compared to your 14mm on the Fuji ?

Sadly the GW3 seems next to impossible to find in the US, may have to order one for Japan via Ebay or Amazon. Looks quite impressive in web shots, though the 14mm Fuji is of course a stellar lens and likely would hold a bit of an edge still.

I'm especially curious about the GW3 as I've also seen some decent looking samples of it using the RX1. Have you ever tried it on there for about a 25-ish mm equiv ?

I know that the question isn't for me, but let's chime in. I also own the GW3 adapter and owned the Fuji 14mm.

First of all, is it really next to impossible to find in the US right now? I just walked into B&H a few weeks ago and they had both the GH3 (which you need to attach the GW3) and GW3 in stock.
The GW3 is very good for what it is, an adapter. The Fuji is technically better though, because it has better flare resistance, has better sharpness across the frame and has almost no distortion. The GW3 introduces quite a lot of distortion and there's some CA in the corners.
I haven't tried the GW3 on my RX1 yet.

Jan 12, 2014 at 09:31 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.38 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I must of just missed them being in stock, Amazon, Adorama, B&H etc all show out of stock right now, and haven't had them in stock for as long as I've been looking. Frustrating because I never got any notifications the products where in stock either, despite filling out the email request for that.

Currently they show them as out of stock with no estimates of when they may be available. Plenty of them from Amazon via Japanese sellers, may just have to go that route and hope shipping is quick and the dealer is reputable

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:39 PM
ggweci

p.38 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

X by Craig's Collection, on Flickr

Smitten by Craig's Collection, on Flickr

TOWS Crest by Craig's Collection, on Flickr

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:50 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.38 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

***deleted***

Edited on Jan 13, 2014 at 12:18 AM · View previous versions

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.38 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

j.liam wrote:
Look again.

It's not about the camera, but this:

GH3

and this:

GW3

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:05 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.38 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Apologies. My error.

Popflash Photo in Los Angeles has both the items listed as in-stock.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

oschebell

p.38 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I was wondering for those that have it, is the 21mm adapter the GW-2 or GW-3? Cheers!

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:28 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.38 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

It's the GW-3. And you need the GH-3 adapter to mount it.

Jan 13, 2014 at 01:45 AM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.38 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

millsart wrote:
I must of just missed them being in stock, Amazon, Adorama, B&H etc all show out of stock right now, and haven't had them in stock for as long as I've been looking.

When an item is on heavy back-order I usually suggest that you place your order and we'll ship as soon as we get them in, in strict order of receipt.
If you wait until you see an item in stock, you may be waiting a long time if we only ever receive just enough units to cover existing back-orders.
We don't charge a cc until an order actually ships, so if you find one somewhere else first, let us know (you can email me directly: Helen@adorama.com, if it's easier) and we can cancel it.

Kind of keeps all your bases covered!

Helen

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Jan 13, 2014 at 04:58 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.38 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thanks to all in the forum (and Helen for all your ongoing help) for the help in locating one. Got the GH3 and GW3 both on their way to me

Jan 13, 2014 at 06:54 PM
Ulff
• • •
p.38 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

More images taken with the GR:

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:37 AM
oschebell

p.38 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

deadwolfbones wrote:
It's the GW-3. And you need the GH-3 adapter to mount it.

Thanks deadwolfbones

Jan 14, 2014 at 01:41 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.38 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Beautiful landscapes and photos Ulff!

I posted these a couple of days ago, but realized that they needed some fixing, so I quickly removed them.

Winter road by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Low winter sun by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:59 AM
reza187
• •
p.38 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Great shots Helena, as always!
Btw, it seems that you have RX1 too. What's your opinion about the two cameras?

Jan 14, 2014 at 01:15 PM
markhout
• •
p.38 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

In NYC, passing by Bryant Park, yesterday. LR5 only.

Jan 14, 2014 at 02:38 PM
markhout
• •
p.38 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
I posted these a couple of days ago, but realized that they needed some fixing, so I quickly removed them.

Great images and fixing - well done.

Jan 14, 2014 at 02:59 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password