Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              35      
       37              68       69       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

ebe5000

Upload & Sell: Off
p.36 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

One from Boston, using external flash on top of the camera and DXO Optics Pro 9 to develop

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eladi/11768126006/

Jan 05, 2014 at 05:26 PM
markhout
• •
p.36 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

unravel wrote:
I've been enjoying using it with snap focus.

Unravel: For whatever reason I feel that snapfocus works fine at midrange (10-30 feet), but it gets out of focus towards infinity - even at f8/11. What is your experience?

Snowshoeing this morning: love to have the GR in my pocket and fire away when the light is right.

Jan 05, 2014 at 08:54 PM
unravel
• •
p.36 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

markhout wrote:
Unravel: For whatever reason I feel that snapfocus works fine at midrange (10-30 feet), but it gets out of focus towards infinity - even at f8/11. What is your experience?

Snowshoeing this morning: love to have the GR in my pocket and fire away when the light is right.

Hm im guessing its just the consequence of an APSC center, even at higher apertures infinity shouldnt be at focus at midrange i believe, or maybe im just used to my d600, but with the ricoh i never notice mostly because i never pay attention as most street happens in mid range.

Also what is your snap focus set at? Since Ricoh has that nifty feature of a full quick shutter press defaulting back to snapfocus, and if youre intending to focus on infinity, if you press it too fast it may just be defaulting to a closer focus range rather than following its AF function. Just a random guess though!

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:01 PM
markhout
• •
p.36 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

unravel wrote:
Also what is your snap focus set at? Since Ricoh has that nifty feature of a full quick shutter press defaulting back to snapfocus, and if youre intending to focus on infinity, if you press it too fast it may just be defaulting to a closer focus range rather than following its AF function. Just a random guess though!

Yeah, I keep thinking that this nifty thingy keeps tripping me up...

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:04 PM
unravel
• •
p.36 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

markhout wrote:
Yeah, I keep thinking that this nifty thingy keeps tripping me up...

You can just turn it off in the settings, im at work now but you will find it easily its something like "full press snap focus" maybe turn it on in darker conditions or fast moving objects at a certain range from you.

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:07 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.36 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Very nice winter atmosphere in the photos above! I'm envious, here it has been warm and windy so far. Very unusual. Here are some photos from this weekend:

Flooding in town center by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Moving up in the world by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Hurtigruten ship "Richard With" by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Hurtigruten ship "Richard With" by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Jan 06, 2014 at 01:10 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.36 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Folks, sorry for interrupting the image thread but I'm looking for advice re: OVF options (one person shared their thoughts earlier when I originally posted the query).

Wanted to know if many of you use them and if there's a preference for the Ricoh GV-2 vs. Voigtländer 28 Brightline. The CV seems to sit a tad higher on the hot shoe.

My experiences using rear LCD's with older P&S in bright light had been unappealing and why I avoided the GR but finally succumbed, no small thanks to all of you devils here. I've never used an OVF with its parallax issues, so would value the experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 06, 2014 at 03:31 PM
markhout
• •
p.36 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I have not done extensive research on the OVF's that are available (other than concluding that they are pretty expensive) - simply because the B&H / Adorama is a two hour train ride and they are probably the best to do a quick comparison test. I have the GV-2. Parallax is always an issue and the extent varies with shooting distance and finally with your shooting style. I use the OVF if I feel like shooting at eye-level or with polarizing sunglasses - I don't see the rear LCD blanking out significantly in bright light (as recently tested in the snow...)... And even then the rear LCD is probably still better than an OVF, parallax wise!

In short, I would not bother too much with the differences in OVF style. Once you start shooting you'll get the hang of dealing with the parallax soon enough, whether you choose the Ricoh, the CV or another OVF.

Edit - I see that you're in NYC... So you can do that comparison test...! I am in the city regularly and would be happy to share some thoughts over a coffee.

Edited on Jan 06, 2014 at 04:14 PM · View previous versions

Jan 06, 2014 at 04:11 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.36 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thanks, 'markhout'.

Jan 06, 2014 at 04:13 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.36 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I've been carrying around my new GR (carrying around and actually shooting daily, unlike my heavy DSLR's) and I've got to say it is a bit of a revelation.
OOC B&W JPEG's have a tonality that can only be described as Ming Thein did, 'filmic'. That lens has a sharpness and clarity that would rival the M9 or M240 + 28 Elmarit ASPH combo. Lloyd Chambers' selection of the GR as his Camera of the Year is completely with merit.

The menu is another wonder; simple and intuitive. Imagine that!

Pentax would be well-advised to adopt the elegance of the Ricoh menu into their DSLR line.

Jan 09, 2014 at 07:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ryankarr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.36 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

R0320302 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Jan 09, 2014 at 07:44 PM
momo_nyc

p.36 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

ryankarr wrote:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2826/11829713936_11f505ffb2_b.jpg
R0320302 by ryankarr, on Flickr

real nice feel to this, color, clarity, etc...beautiful photo...sweet expression...

wondering, did you process this from raw? maybe a film preset in camera? just curious...

Jan 09, 2014 at 07:55 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.36 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

That's beautiful ryankarr!

j.liam, I agree. The more I use GR the more impressed I am. Hard to believe how something so small can be so good.

Jan 09, 2014 at 08:00 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.36 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thanks guys!

It was raw, processed with LR5, mainly contrast, curves, and clarity adjustments.

Jan 09, 2014 at 09:03 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.36 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Two from me of the Hudson this afternoon.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:55 AM
beetlephoto
• •
p.36 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
That's beautiful ryankarr!

j.liam, I agree. The more I use GR the more impressed I am. Hard to believe how something so small can be so good.

Totally agreed. It is damn close to being perfect.

On my wish list for the next model (price is no object)
-popup EVF instead of the flash
-tiltable screen with no additional thickness
-weather proofing
-filter thread directly on the lens
-ability to assign the focus zone quickly (right now it's buried in the menu)

Then it would be really perfect. But IQ is really crazy, better than my ex Leica M9.

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:13 AM
markhout
• •
p.36 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

beetlephoto wrote:
Totally agreed. It is damn close to being perfect.

+1

The best benefit is that I actually carry this thing. Yes, I would like to have enhancements and perhaps even a bigger sensor. But I'd pass if the size/weight/form factor would increase.

Hey - I even bring the GR along when I drop off the garbage at the transfer station!

Jan 10, 2014 at 02:08 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.36 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

beetlephoto wrote:
-ability to assign the focus zone quickly (right now it's buried in the menu)

You can already assign this to a button. It's one of the first things I did.

Jan 10, 2014 at 02:15 PM
beetlephoto
• •
p.36 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
You can already assign this to a button. It's one of the first things I did.

I'll try then, could not find an easy way to assign it to the ADJ button, but I have probably missed something (I'm not talking about the pinpoint/spot/matrix AF, but want to move the zone.

Edited on Jan 10, 2014 at 04:10 PM · View previous versions

Jan 10, 2014 at 02:19 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.36 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

beetlephoto wrote:
I'll try then, could not find an easy way to do assign it to the ADJ button, but I have probably missed something (I'm not talking about the pinpoint/spot/matrix AF, but want to move the zone.

Yes you can directly change the zone (snap focus) distance. I've assigned it to the effect button on the side of the camera. Push it and change the distance. Nice and quick.

Jan 10, 2014 at 02:29 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password