Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              29      
       31              49       50       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

Joe Marquez

Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Here's one from Halloween. Iso 4500.

Nov 24, 2013 at 03:01 AM
oschebell

p.30 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

A few images from my recent trip to Europe, Ireland and UK. Had a ball with this is my primary camera in place of my 1ds3 which I use for work (and was happy to not have to carry around the whole trip) ad LOVED trying my hand at some street-esque photography as it is about as far as a departure from my architectural photography work as I can get!

Insanely sharp camera, insanely quiet, comfortable, good battery life, built in time lapse, brilliant camera.

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Ulff
• • •
p.30 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

@oschebell: the landscape in your first image is fantastic! is the second image from the Leica store in Berlin? We once had a FM meeting in a cafe nearby this shop...

Here's something with trees:

Nov 24, 2013 at 01:30 PM
oschebell

p.30 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thanks Ulff, yeah thats the Leica store in Berlin! I had never been to a proper leica store before so I made sure I went to that one

Awesome shot, is that natural flare in that image or digital? I must say the GR flares more gracefully than any other lens/camera I've ever used.

Nov 25, 2013 at 04:23 AM
Joe Marquez

p.30 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

The GR at the beach.

Nov 29, 2013 at 06:52 PM
millsart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Came across a great deal on a GR so going to give one another try. Really liked the IQ, ability to share batteries with my DP Merrill and the true pocketable size previously, so figured the list of "pros" of the GR were enough to hopefully outweigh the major "con" I had before and that was very poor AF.

Seems like while many users have claimed the AF a bit slow in lower light, my experiences with a high percentage of just generally OOF images isn't common. Fingers crossed I just had a bad sample of the camera.

Have any firmware updates proved to improve the AF performance over the recent months ?

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:35 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.30 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Millsart, maybe one of the AF options on the camera is not as good as the others? I will do a little tinkering this weekend to see if I can replicate your problems. I remember that when I got the camera I had two consecutive out of focus shots that should have come out fine. They were outdoors in good light. However I did use the infinity setting prior to that and I was thinking I might have left it on accidentally. I am not sure. After getting home I ran the usual set up with my preferred settings and I haven't had any major problems since.

In poor light I use spot AF/focus and for the most part AF is slow-ish but accurate. I've had AF cameras since the dawn of AF so I am used to finding contrasting parts to focus on even in dim light. With the cursor mode I usually end up choosing a part of the frame and leave it there and sometimes tilt/swing the camera over to the nearest point of something to lock on to. If that makes any sense.

I too have had the DP1 Merrill and I did enjoy the Merrill. In my landscape quick test they were fairly close so I ended up ditching the DP1M. The AF on the DP1M isn't too fast and not too swell in poor light, but it is fairly consistent so I had no problems with it either. I just might pick up a second hand DP1M later if I get a bout of small cam hoarding again.

Nov 30, 2013 at 09:32 AM
markhout
• •
p.30 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Yesterday in Williamstown, MA

1/40, 2.8 @ ISO 800

Dec 01, 2013 at 02:30 PM
John Wolf
• •
p.30 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Mark, that's a wonderful color palatte and composition. Really enjoy this one. - John

Dec 01, 2013 at 03:00 PM
markhout
• •
p.30 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thanks John - I was inspired!

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

owyhee
• •
p.30 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Been traveling for several weeks. Lots of great images being posted. Nice work everyone.

Here are some images from an old barn located in north Marin County California. The barn is filled with functioning and non-functioning farm equipment. The barn is starting to fall apart with one wall already down. I usually only post one or two images at a time but these seemed to work as a set.

GR    18.3 mm f/2.8 lens    18mm    f/7.1    1/4s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

GR    18.3 mm f/2.8 lens    18mm    f/7.1    1/6s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

GR    18.3 mm f/2.8 lens    18mm    f/4.0    1/60s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

GR    18.3 mm f/2.8 lens    18mm    f/4.0    1/100s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:19 AM
owyhee
• •
p.30 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Here is one more from the old barn

GR    18.3 mm f/2.8 lens    18mm    f/5.0    1/60s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 04, 2013 at 02:01 AM
unravel
• •
p.30 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

im having a crisis, i have both fuji x100s and ricoh GR, and i must pick one. If i sell the GR i know i will miss it to bits, argh!!

Dec 04, 2013 at 02:40 PM
markhout
• •
p.30 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Unravel - I watched this interesting interview last night. http://petapixel.com/2013/11/30/eric-kim-hits-pavement-sf-street-photographer-jack-simon/ This was the first time that I was able to get a better understanding of shooting with the Fuji.

The GR seems to me much smaller / more pocketable than the X100s, but the X100s has manual focus capabilities. I also noticed that Jack Simon has the camera on a neckstrap, while I just take the camera from my coat pocket and fire away. The size of the camera forces a different approach to street photography.

I was impressed with the Philly shots that you posted earlier. I would suggest that you consider how you would have taken these shots with the Fuji...

Dec 04, 2013 at 03:25 PM
John Wolf
• •
p.30 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

unravel wrote:
im having a crisis, i have both fuji x100s and ricoh GR, and i must pick one. If i sell the GR i know i will miss it to bits, argh!!

I empathize. That's a really tough choice. They do seem complimentary, though, with the GR being a pocket or belt case carry everywhere option.

John

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:55 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.30 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

unravel wrote:

Sell the X100s and pick up a X-E1/2 and 35mm f1.4 with the proceeds. That way you can have 28/21mm from the GR, including the ability to have a true pocket camera, and then get a great fast 50mm equiv, along with EVF, for times when you feel like being able to shoot a bit tighter, portraits etc

35mm/28mm are close enough I couldn't really see wanting to carry them both, too much overlap, and pretty similar IQ between the two cameras.

Dec 04, 2013 at 05:25 PM
John Wolf
• •
p.30 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

millsart wrote:
Sell the X100s and pick up a X-E1/2 and 35mm f1.4 with the proceeds. That way you can have 28/21mm from the GR, including the ability to have a true pocket camera, and then get a great fast 50mm equiv, along with EVF, for times when you feel like being able to shoot a bit tighter, portraits etc

35mm/28mm are close enough I couldn't really see wanting to carry them both, too much overlap, and pretty similar IQ between the two cameras.

That's a good suggestion. It's basically what I do, but with a Nex 7 and 50 and 75 equivalents. With the GR it makes a great combination in a kit that is still very small and light.

John

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:18 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.30 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Sigma DP2m makes a nice companion too give giving a 45mm equiv, and fantastic resolution for landscape shots (especially stitched). Its limited to lower ISO, but pairs well with the GR, as the GR can be for constant carry, works much better at high ISO, and can do the wide social/street stuff, and then when you've got time to compose and/or use tripod, the Merrill gives resolution unmatched by anything short of A7r or D800e, while costing about $700

Even nicer they can share batteries with each other

75mm equiv DP3m also could be a nice choice if you prefer 28/75 combo

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:26 PM
oschebell

p.30 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

unravel wrote:

I think they are totally different cameras. One is retro, tactile camera with brilliant AF and an optical VF and lovely natural looking images with great colours straight out of camera. The other is a nearly pocketable camera with crappy AF, muted colours BUT blisteringly sharp images. It also has a built in time lapse setting which works amazingly for .DNG timelapse movies.

I cant help but feel that the GR is the more versatile and precise tool for landscape and architecture, which can still be brilliant fun for street and timelapse images, especially when coupled with the 21mm adaptor. Whereas the X100s really has 'soul'- It does street and candid photography like no other and is just plain COOL.

I guess it depends on what type of work you do? Street?

Dec 05, 2013 at 01:10 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.30 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

R0311404-Edit by ryankarr, on Flickr

R0311415 by ryankarr, on Flickr

R0311470 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Dec 05, 2013 at 05:13 PM
1       2       3              29      
       31              49       50       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell