Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              28      
       30              50       51       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

owyhee
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.29 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

ggweci,
Your first image with the shadow of the station sign is great.

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:14 AM
ggweci

Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

owyhee wrote:
ggweci,
Your first image with the shadow of the station sign is great.

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:41 AM
owyhee
• •
p.29 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

This is an historic log cabin that sits on my neighbors property. It is currently used for storage but could be easily lived in with a good cleaning and some new chinking around the windows.

Pioneer Cabin In The Snow

GR    18.3 mm f/2.8 lens    18mm    f/5.6    1/200s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:44 PM
markhout
• •
p.29 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Wow - serious snow in Idaho! Still unseasonably balmy here on the East Coast...

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:57 PM
nohackle

p.29 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

owyhee,

Would it be fair to say that the ricoh is growing on you and any chance to do much macro work yet? Great pics everyone.......thanks

bill

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Ulff
• • •
p.29 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

another one from this series:

what I really like about this camera is the reduced post processing time (versus an SLR) because even stopped down I don't have to remove the sensor spots...

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:46 PM
markhout
• •
p.29 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

NYC:

Nov 20, 2013 at 08:10 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.29 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

From Newport Rhode Island.

Untitled by Tom Kaszuba, on Flickr

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Joe Marquez

p.29 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Now that I've added a Ricoh GR, time to post a few photos.
Here's one from a night market in Honolulu.

Nov 22, 2013 at 03:15 AM
owyhee
• •
p.29 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

markhout,
I love the tones in your image. Crisp blacks and true whites. Nice work.

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

owyhee
• •
p.29 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

A colorful image taken along the Boise River just after sunrise.

GR    18.3 mm f/2.8 lens    18mm    f/7.1    1/60s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 22, 2013 at 02:42 PM
markhout
• •
p.29 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Nice, strong colors. I still have to learn to see in color! Well done.

Nov 22, 2013 at 03:20 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.29 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I'm considering adding a real pocket camera again, I don't always feel like carrying a bag. I loved the RX100 (sold it to help fund my RX1) when I had it so I was looking at the RX100II. Turns out that about half of all the photos I made with the RX100 were at the 28mm equivalent. That's why now also the GR has my attention. The ergonomics, sharpness, snap focus, customizability,... seem to be great. I mostly do B&W and those results also look good.
The RX100II has the advantage of being able to share the EVF and batteries from my RX1.

How do you like it? Do you have any problems with it (like dust, freezes,...)?
Anyone who also has/had the RX100(II)?
Thanks.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.29 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
I'm considering adding a real pocket camera again, I don't always feel like carrying a bag. I loved the RX100 (sold it to help fund my RX1) when I had it so I was looking at the RX100II. Turns out that about half of all the photos I made with the RX100 were at the 28mm equivalent. That's why now also the GR has my attention. The ergonomics, sharpness, snap focus, customizability,... seem to be great. I mostly do B&W and those results also look good.
The RX100II has the advantage of being able to share the EVF and batteries
...Show more

If you shoot 28mm exclusively it's a no-brainer. I love the Ricoh GR.

Nov 23, 2013 at 07:26 AM
John Wolf
• •
p.29 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
...Show more

I'd say it is one of the most unanimously praised cameras we've seen in a while. If you like the focal length, it's a no-brainer. And it's BW output is certainly the favorite among the many digital cameras I've owned. All in this little package. Pretty amazing.

John

Nov 23, 2013 at 01:23 PM
Ulff
• • •
p.29 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
...Show more

Not an easy decision given that you have the RX1. I considered all three cameras too and finally decided for the GR. It won againt the RX1 because it is pockatable; for the RX1 I would have would have needed a bag similar to my DSLR gear. And it won against the RX100II because my experience with tiny cameras has been similar to yours: I tend to use the wide end much more. And at 28mm the GR has the much (?) better lens. It is excellent over the whole frame even at f2.8 and in combination with the missing AA-filter the look is very similar to a Leica M with an 28mm ASPH. The ergonomics and the customizability is great although I must admit that I tend to use it lately in the green automatic mode, something I have never done before, but with an 16mm lens DOF control is not that important. All in all I'm very happy with the GR because I take it everywhere and I don't have to worry about not having brought my DSLR for image quality reasons if good photo opportunities occur. The only slightly negative point for me are the colors. Somehow I have problems to get the same pleasant colors I get from my DSLR or NEX.

Regarding the advantages for the RX100II given that you have the RX1: the battery would be an argument for me, but not the EVF because the size is an argument for you, I wouldn't worry about an attachable EVF. The only real advantage of the RX100 would be the possibility to use the tele range. But if you prefer the wide angle anyway, the GR would be my choice.

Nov 23, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.29 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thanks guys.
I bought one this morning, my local dealer had one left in stock. A lot of people seem to be very happy with the GR, so I was too curious not to try one myself.

A few quick first impressions:
- The GR is light, but very ergonomic. Much better than the RX100.
- The lens seems to be amazing. B&W conversions also have a nice look.
- The AF is OK in good light, but bad in low light.
- The snap focus function seems to be nice. The coolest thing about it is that when you fully press the shutter button, it can automatically go to the snap focus distance. Press it halfway and you have normal AF.
- You can customize a lot. Lovely. Having the ISO directly under a dial is great.
- I can carry it in a coat pocket, exactly why I wanted one.
- What I don't like is the image playback when shooting RAW only. You can't judge sharpness.

We'll see how I like it when I used it 'for real'. It's very promising so far.

Nov 23, 2013 at 04:43 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.29 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
- What I don't like is the image playback when shooting RAW only. You can't judge sharpness.

You can preview images when you only shoot RAW. Here's how.

If you shoot "raw only" and are in playback mode and decide to look at a specific image in playback in detail then all you have to do is : press "menu" then press right arrow at "raw development" (the first item on the menu - requires no scrolling) then immediately press "ok" and you get your full size jpg created. That is if you have not shot in crop mode as the jpg image is progressively reduced in size according to the size of the crop being made. Three quick button presses and a very short wait and a full size individually created in-camera jpg is there.

Nov 23, 2013 at 05:26 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.29 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thanks for the tip Tom, but that's not what I want. It's too slow when you just quickly want to check if you nailed a shot and you end up with both jpeg and RAW files (if you don't delete the jpegs right away).
It's not a big deal though, only a minor issue.

Nov 23, 2013 at 07:53 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.29 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
Thanks for the tip Tom, but that's not what I want. It's too slow when you just quickly want to check if you nailed a shot and you end up with both jpeg and RAW files (if you don't delete the jpegs right away).
It's not a big deal though, only a minor issue.

In that case do what I did for a while. Shoot RAW + Jpeg. Then delete all the jpegs in Lightroom. When I was doing that I was checking shots instantly.

Nov 24, 2013 at 02:51 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password