Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              21      
       23              77       78       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

John Wolf
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #1 · p.22 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Thank you, Tom. Much appreciated. -John

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Ulff
• • •
p.22 #2 · p.22 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

oschebell wrote:
I would be curious as to how you went about making the image Ulff! Obviously some serious post but I'm loving it!!

Thanks! It's from a series of decay images I edit in a similar style (http://www.paintingwithlight.de/forgotten_places.htm). The image was taken handheld (not my usual approach) and the post processing involved many local and global adjustments of contrast and brightness, too many individual steps to recall. It's no HDR, just one image.

Sep 28, 2013 at 04:23 AM
tol1l1yboy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #3 · p.22 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

What is everyone's snap focus settings? Im loving the camera and especially like the snap focus ability but Im not finding a lot of success using it.

Sep 29, 2013 at 01:06 AM
John Wolf
• •
p.22 #4 · p.22 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

tol1l1yboy wrote:
What is everyone's snap focus settings? Im loving the camera and especially like the snap focus ability but Im not finding a lot of success using it.

On the street I generally use 2m. At f8 that's about 3.5' to infinity. I prefer a shutter speed of 200, so TaV mode works well. Those are my MY1 values. Of course, that's auto ISO.

John

Sep 29, 2013 at 05:57 PM
John Wolf
• •
p.22 #5 · p.22 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Street harmonica player, Chicago.

Sep 29, 2013 at 06:17 PM
tol1l1yboy
• •
p.22 #6 · p.22 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

John Wolf wrote:
On the street I generally use 2m. At f8 that's about 3.5' to infinity. I prefer a shutter speed of 200, so TaV mode works well. Those are my MY1 values. Of course, that's auto ISO.

John

Thanks. Guessing I should up the f/stop to f/4 or f/5.6 minimum to help with pictures being in focus.

Sep 29, 2013 at 09:17 PM
taemo
• •
p.22 #7 · p.22 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

rattymouse wrote:
Quick question....How pocketable is the GR? I have heard references that it is very pocketable but looking at pictures (all I can do) it seems rather large to be truly comfortable. What do you all say?

if you wear skinny jeans, then it will not fit.
but if you wear regular jeans or khaki pants, then no problem.

went camping with the GR, I love how it stays safely in my pocket, while I have the X-Pro1 + 14mm on my neck

R0010342 by earl.dieta, on Flickr

R0010304 by earl.dieta, on Flickr

R0010335 by earl.dieta, on Flickr

Sep 29, 2013 at 09:53 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.22 #8 · p.22 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Untitled by Tom Kaszuba, on Flickr

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.22 #9 · p.22 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

tol1l1yboy wrote:

I shoot VERY, VERY close. Just check out my Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomkaz/

My best results with Snap focus when shooting super close are 1 meter and f/8. Auto ISO.

That's how I get this close all in focus.

Also....check out this thread for much more info: http://www.seriouscompacts.com/showthread.php?t=21706

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:38 PM
John Wolf
• •
p.22 #10 · p.22 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Nice to hear your thoughts, Tom. And I enjoyed the thread on Serious Compacts.

Yours strikes me as an atypical approach. I think most of us are trying to include more context in our street images. According to dofmaster.com, 1m at f8 will give DOF of .68 to 1.88m. That would not work for me, but I understand how it does for you. I guess this underscores the need to understand the OP's intention. After thinking on this some more, I might give 1.5m a try. I sometimes miss focus because I'm too close. I've got Fn2 set for Snap Focus distance, but sometimes life moves too fast.

John

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tol1l1yboy
• •
p.22 #11 · p.22 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

GR Apples-13 by =Tom=, on Flickr

GR Apples-16 by =Tom=, on Flickr

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM
taemo
• •
p.22 #12 · p.22 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

love the colors of those appels, is that in-JPEG or your pp?

John Wolf wrote:

Yours strikes me as an atypical approach. I think most of us are trying to include more context in our street images. According to dofmaster.com, 1m at f8 will give DOF of .68 to 1.88m. That would not work for me, but I understand how it does for you. I guess this underscores the need to understand the OP's intention. After thinking on this some more, I might give 1.5m a try. I sometimes miss focus because I'm too close. I've got Fn2 set for
...Show more

most street photographers that I know shoot at f8, in very sunny conditions I can shoot f11 or f16 (I do on my RFs) but there are also occasions where I shoot at f4 or f5.6 if I have a slow film or light is not favorable.

on the GR I have my snap set at 1.5m and I also shoot at f8 which gives me a DoF from .91 to 4.37, if light permits then I can go f11 or f16 no problem

shamefully I haven't been able to do much street with my GR but here's a quick one
1.5m, f8 and iso 800

R0010124 by earl.dieta, on Flickr

the ladies with strollers are about 4 meters away from me, look how they and the background are relatively in focus

Edited on Sep 30, 2013 at 02:15 AM · View previous versions

Sep 30, 2013 at 02:00 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.22 #13 · p.22 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Some great stuff on this page.

Sep 30, 2013 at 02:02 AM
tol1l1yboy
• •
p.22 #14 · p.22 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Post processed in Lightroom. The GR puts out decent jpegs but I prefer shooting it in raw. Great street pics all. I'm definitely going to try shooting more with the snap feature. :-)

taemo wrote:
love the colors of those appels, is that in-JPEG or your pp?

most street photographers that I know shoot at f8, in very sunny conditions I can see being able to shoot f11 or f16 (i do on my RFs) but there are occasions where I have to shoot at f4 or f5.6 as well if I have a slow film or light is not favorable.

on the GR I have my snap set at 1.5m and I also shoot at f8 which gives me a DoF from .91 to 4.37 but like i said, if light permits then I can go
...Show more

Sep 30, 2013 at 02:08 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.22 #15 · p.22 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

John Wolf wrote:

Yours strikes me as an atypical approach. I think most of us are trying to include more context in our street images. According to dofmaster.com, 1m at f8 will give DOF of .68 to 1.88m. That would not work for me, but I understand how it does for you. I guess this underscores the need to understand the OP's intention. After thinking on this some more, I might give 1.5m a try. I sometimes miss focus because I'm too close. I've got Fn2 set for
...Show more

There's a guy who uses the GR and swears by snap focus at 2 meters using f/6.3 and everything is in focus. Just don't get as close as I do and that should work. I like to shoot f/8 if I can. To me that almost guarantees that everything from a few feet away all the way to infinity is sharply in focus. I also like to shoot at 1/500th of a second at the very minimum because I move when I shoot and I shoot moving targets. The other day I shot at 1/800th of a second at f/8 and I didn't miss a shot with regards to tack sharp images across the frame. You need good light to pull that off though.

Best of luck to you.

Sep 30, 2013 at 06:42 AM
Uncle Mike
• •
p.22 #16 · p.22 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Some of you are overestimating the depth of field of the GR. Because it's so sharp compared to other APS-C camera/lens combinations, there is actually much less DOF.

You can test this for yourself by taking a series of pictures of something at infinity at various manual focus distances, and you will see that you being losing sharpness at much farther distances than the DOF-bar on the LCD tells you.

Also, you lose sharpness at any f-stop higher than f/6.3 from diffraction.

Sep 30, 2013 at 03:00 PM
tol1l1yboy
• •
p.22 #17 · p.22 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Once Bitten Twice Shy by =Tom=, on Flickr

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.22 #18 · p.22 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:45 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.22 #19 · p.22 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Tom K; would love to see a B&W version of the second shot. Would make for a striking image.

Oct 01, 2013 at 05:55 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.22 #20 · p.22 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

kosmoskatten wrote:
Tom K; would love to see a B&W version of the second shot. Would make for a striking image.

Thanks. That's a great idea.

Oct 01, 2013 at 06:24 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password