Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              20      
       22              77       78       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

deadwolfbones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.21 #1 · p.21 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Some more, processed this time:

Sep 22, 2013 at 09:16 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.21 #2 · p.21 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

^ - Nice series, I haven't been to P-town in a few years, really need to get back.

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Ulff
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.21 #3 · p.21 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

From my first outing with the GR:

Sep 23, 2013 at 07:03 AM
markhout
• • •
p.21 #4 · p.21 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ulff wrote:

Wow - and that's only your first outing...!

Sep 23, 2013 at 04:34 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.21 #5 · p.21 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

He has some prior experience with photography and processing

Sep 23, 2013 at 05:31 PM
John Wolf
• •
p.21 #6 · p.21 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

A little GR love story from the weekend. - John

Edited on Sep 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:23 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.21 #7 · p.21 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Markus, how do you like the GR?

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:39 AM
Ulff
• • •
p.21 #8 · p.21 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

The GR is what I wanted my NEX 5n the last years to be: pocketable, customizable, reliable wide angle lens. There simply is no such thing as a good (and tiny!) wide angle lens for the NEX. The GR lens is almost perfect even wide open. Another feature I like the GR for is the very well implemented horizontal and vertical level display which makes it much easier for me to use it for architecture. I will keep the NEX in combination with a MF 50mm lens which works very well for me. Combined both cameras are a very good travel-light alternative for me.
Saying that, I do not know if I will be able to keep the GR. A few days after I bought it, half of my lenses (and almost any of my Canon AF-lenses) got stolen. Without insurance and no money to rebuy anything I fear I may have to set priorities...

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.21 #9 · p.21 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ouch, sorry to hear that! Did you have a break-in?

At the time that you bought the GR, did you consider the Nikon A? I am curious about these two cameras, although I generally prefer the 35mm focal length for fixed-lens cameras. At the moment I use my E-PL3 with the Sigma 19/2.8 as my everywhere camera, but even that is kinda chunky.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Ulff
• • •
p.21 #10 · p.21 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

No break-in. It was on a wedding in front of the church where I took the group photo and had no eye-contact to my photo-backpack with all lenses, cards, phone, batteries, etc. for about 2 minutes...

Regarding the Nikon A: i considered it and read almost all reviews and comparisons and except that the color rendering that most people seems to prefer from the Nikon, I found nothing that convinced me to go with the Nikon. Customizability and the lens where the most important advantages for the GR for me. In sum they are very very similar cameras although and I don't think that you can go wrong with any of these if a fixed 28mm is for you. In general I agree with you and prefer 35mm, too (the Sony would be a dream). But in the end, more wide angle is more important for me - and I have the 35mm very well covered with my FF Canon (and carrying a Sony RX or a DSLR is not that much different for me, I would need an extra case for both of these, the GR is a different story regarding size).

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.21 #11 · p.21 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I'll be testing the Nikon A in the next few weeks. Will try to give some comparative info here.

Really sorry to hear about your gear, Ulff.

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:26 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.21 #12 · p.21 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I reviewed the Coolpix A and the GR back to back and I hands down prefer just about everything about the GR. The Nikon's controls were largely annoying where the GR is so logical and well laid out. The A was a bit better in low light and had slightly more accurate metering (but Nikon is known for their in-camera meters), but on the whole I absolutely preferred the GR. Still do.

Sep 24, 2013 at 08:28 PM
oschebell

p.21 #13 · p.21 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ulff wrote:
http://www.paintingwithlight.de/FilesEx/ricoh_01.jpg

I would be curious as to how you went about making the image Ulff! Obviously some serious post but I'm loving it!!

Sep 25, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.21 #14 · p.21 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Bought a new GR a few weeks ago. I use snap focus and shoot from the hip. When it hits it's great. Some misses with snap focus though.

Untitled by Tom Kaszuba, on Flickr

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.21 #15 · p.21 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Quick question....How pocketable is the GR? I have heard references that it is very pocketable but looking at pictures (all I can do) it seems rather large to be truly comfortable. What do you all say?

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:29 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.21 #16 · p.21 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

^ will fit in large pockets or jacket pockets, I wouldn't consider it a front pocketable esp. w/jeans, it might but tight fit if looser fit pants

When I shot it easily fits shirt pockets, decent fit in docker style pants

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:45 AM
John Wolf
• •
p.21 #17 · p.21 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

It fits in just about any pants pocket, including jeans, but not very comfortably. I would not carry it this way and prefer a belt case, which is a great solution.

John

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:57 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.21 #18 · p.21 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I wear Levis 527s and 514s, and the GR fits snugly in the front pockets. It's right at the limit of what I'd call pants-pocketable. About the same as the Sony RX100, though a little flatter profile.

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:22 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.21 #19 · p.21 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

rattymouse wrote:
Quick question....How pocketable is the GR? I have heard references that it is very pocketable but looking at pictures (all I can do) it seems rather large to be truly comfortable. What do you all say?

When I use the camera I wear cargo pants. Fits easily. Not jeans though. Fits but too tight. Sony RX100 is smaller and slippery. The Ricoh GR is rubbery so doesn't slide as easily into pockets. I also throw it in my shirt pocket if the pocket has a button I can use to keep it Safe from falling out if I bend down to grab something. It's $800 so I don't just toss it into a tight pocket and forget about it.

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:14 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.21 #20 · p.21 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

John Wolf wrote:
A little GR love story from the weekend. - John

http://www.johnwolf.net/img/s10/v101/p2008150143-5.jpg

http://www.johnwolf.net/img/s5/v127/p2146289426-5.jpg

http://www.johnwolf.net/img/s8/v80/p2041882612-5.jpg

Terrific work. I thoroughly enjoyed your web site as well.

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:18 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password