Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              75       76       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

kosmoskatten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

dalegaspi wrote:
I've yet to see a wid(er) conversion lens that performs well, and to be honest, I've expected this 21 converter to perform worse...even if it performs exceptionally, I don't see myself getting one, either way...

I totally agree. I see it as a "low cost" solution for a few occasions where I could use a 21 for pure documentation on work sites or filming short clips with trail running and stuff like that. That would make it totally worth having the 21mm option. It is neither cheap nor expensive.
For "serious pixel peeping city/landscape work" I don't think I'd bother with it.

A 21mm/3.5 GR would of course be super nice, and a 40/2 GR. I would get by with a 28/40 combo for sure.

Jun 08, 2013 at 08:45 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

For me, 28 mm field of view is simply too wide for most of the images that I like to shoot for fun. I just wish Ricoh would come out with a 45 to 50 mm equivalent of the GR: if they do, I will buy one in a heartbeat.

I am using the A12 28 on the GXR, but a GR-sized camera with a wider FOV would be perfect for me. I am using 1:1 aspect ratio exclusively on the GXR, but SO want a narrower FOV.

Jun 08, 2013 at 11:53 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Kit: same here. 40 to 50 would be sweet. Either a 40/2 or the macro 50/2.5 (which is a great lens) in a GR body and with the A16 sensor. Yessir.

Jun 08, 2013 at 11:59 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

FWIW, the Pentax rep sounded very pessimistic about the future of the GXR line... It sounded like there was still confusion over how the Pentax and Ricoh lines will be merged. And that is to some degree my greatest concern - that the niches addressed by Ricoh's somewhat off the wall cameras will be lost in a product line targeting mainstream preferences.

At the demo they also had the Pentax MX-1 P&S... it was like a huge ugly duckling compared to the GR: smaller sensor, lens repurposed from Olympus XZ-1/2 cameras (I have the XZ-1 and the lens is nothing special). Not the direction I would like to see...

Jun 08, 2013 at 06:09 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

A 40mm would make sense, if it is compact style like M-Rokkor. (Macro might be too big though?) A crop mode to 50mm would cover 21 to 50mm with 2 bodies. On the tele side I am not sure how big it will get (how big is the DP3M compared with DP2M, for example?)

And then the FF GR-M body only please now that Leica is laying an egg on that mini-M.

kosmoskatten wrote:
Kit: same here. 40 to 50 would be sweet. Either a 40/2 or the macro 50/2.5 (which is a great lens) in a GR body and with the A16 sensor. Yessir.

Jun 08, 2013 at 09:38 PM
weekh
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

The colours rendered on the LCD can be very so different from the actual colour on file and scene...

Jun 09, 2013 at 02:14 AM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

weekh wrote:
The colours rendered on the LCD can be very so different from the actual colour on file and scene...

Is there a way to adjust the LCD color (wonder if the extra white pixel makes the difference)? I rarely rely on the LCD though.

Here's my contribution to the thread:

Jun 09, 2013 at 02:21 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Awesome shot!

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:14 AM
weekh
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jun 09, 2013 at 09:42 AM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Here's another one, didn't know I like 28mm that much before

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I think the GR is an "instant classic" and the GR film series heritage is evident in size and stealth factor. Although I thought the GRD IV was very nice I was still pining for (at least) APS-C sensor size.

I was attending an examination the other day and it was at the Winter garden at the Grand Hotel in Stockholm, a pretty murky and dim lit venue. The GR is very stealthy and during the meet and greet one of the big camera photogs looked at the camera and said "no flash?" "Don't need it" I said - and he looked at one of the photos and said "This is very good! Ricoh? Never heard of it."

Not many have.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:02 AM
ray_stinger
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

More can be found in my Flickr Ricoh GR album

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM
alwang
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Can anyone comment on the shutter sound of the GR? Particularly compared to the Sony NEXs?

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM
weekh
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

GR on steriods! Stitched several files together.

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:32 PM
weekh
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Flare flare flare.....

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:44 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

@kosmoskatten: I like those "never heard of it", "Ricoh makes camera?" comment, icing on its stealthy cake.

@alwang: It's much quieter than even the GXR, which is on the quieter side of those with mechanical shutter (m4/3, NEXs). But someone commented that it is not as quiet as the leaflet shutter of x100/s

Jun 10, 2013 at 04:05 PM
markhout
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

weekh wrote:
Flare flare flare.....

Nice shot Wee Keng - is that in Holland Village? Are you using the lens hood?

Thanks,

Mark

Jun 10, 2013 at 04:36 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

weekh: awesome stitch. How many frames?

alwang: probably on par with the NEX family, I only have experience with the NEX5n though. I honestly don't recall how loud/quiet the NEX5n was, I wasn't bothered by it so it must have been good. My friend got a used NEX5n and I fondled it the other day and there was no deafening moments as far as I recall. I only remember that I wasn't bothered by any of the NEX/GXR combos but a little bothered with mirror slap on DSLR's.

During the event a few nights back I got the question "did you take a shot?" more than once. On which I replied; "I got four". The GR is quieter than the GXR but I never had any one bothered by the GXR. If a camera is IN YOUR FACE it matters little whether it is dead quiet or subtle. For the stealthy "did he really take a picture" moments the GR is quiet enough.

Jun 10, 2013 at 04:37 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

kururu wrote:
I want it, but in Japan it's more expensive than coolpix A.
ricoh gr 88.990 ($887) vs coolpix-A 80.000 ($798)

Boy that sure is strange. The Coolpix A is about $300 MORE than the Ricoh GR here in the US (quite possibly it's biggest critique against it). I've been shooting with the Coolpix A for the past few weeks for a review and I really liked the image quality, but didn't care too much for the camera overall. It's quite small (too small for my big hands) and just doesn't have what I'm looking for. Then again, I don't even know what I'm looking for .

As I mentioned though, the image quality on the A is really quite excellent; I was particularly impressed with how good the files looked all the way up to 12,800 ISO.

I have the GR in bound to me and I am really looking forward to shooting it alongside my X-Pro 1, I suspect I'm going to enjoy the GR more. Wish I could keep it...

Jun 10, 2013 at 04:42 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Kururu: that is weird. I don't get why they price them so differently in Japan. Either Nikon is price dumping on their home turf and Ricoh is slapping their loyal Japanese customers.

I really don't get it. If they would be price the same it would make some sense.

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:09 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password