Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              75       76       end

Ricoh GR Image Thread

aleksanderpolo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ming did choose GR in the end...

The whole issue was due to Ricoh using DNG, so one can open the raw even before Adobe officially supported it and made a standard profile for it.

By the way, the "embedded" profile that give rise to "inaccurate" color in GR is the same as the embedded profile in GXR. So I think Ricoh make the conscious choice in making this profile available (for better skin tone? for b/w conversion?). And we all know that accurate does not necessarily means pleasant color.

By all account Nikon has more consistent matrix metering. So one just need to know the quirks of Ricoh.

Jun 06, 2013 at 06:56 AM
joakim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Another sunny day in Stockholm with harsh light but this set is in b&w.

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:48 PM
weekh
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:13 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I'm still debating with myself if I want to buy Ricoh or Coolpix A. I have some Nikon flashes that will work great TTL-wise with the Coolpix A but I like Ricoh as a camera better.

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:29 PM
markhout
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

kewlcanon wrote:
I'm still debating with myself if I want to buy Ricoh or Coolpix A. I have some Nikon flashes that will work great TTL-wise with the Coolpix A but I like Ricoh as a camera better.

I am in the same boat, and leaning towards the GR. The prime reason why I want / need a new camera is portability without sacrificing IQ too much. The GR scores highest in portability, particularly vs the Fuji's or NEX's. The fixed lens is fine, and I will probably get the external finder. I too have the Speedlights, but I don't expect to use them for the purpose of the GR. Along the same lines, I won't use the GR to shoot from a tripod (that's what my D800e is for).

I hope that Adobe gets their act together, but history shows that they won't. So I will probably process that RAW files in another converter prior to import the tiffs into LR.

I am curious about exposing to the right with the GR. Do the current owners recommend a blanket overexposure of say +1/3 stop, or is ETTR more nuanced?

Great pix all.

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:50 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

The adobe's standard profile is already available. So you can process color without problem now.

Note that A's pop up flash cannot be used as a commander... there is a review in Thom's new site: gearophile.com

Jun 06, 2013 at 02:01 PM
joakim
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Wee, very nice capture.

Jun 06, 2013 at 03:13 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Ming did choose GR in the end...

The whole issue was due to Ricoh using DNG, so one can open the raw even before Adobe officially supported it and made a standard profile for it.

By the way, the "embedded" profile that give rise to "inaccurate" color in GR is the same as the embedded profile in GXR. So I think Ricoh make the conscious choice in making this profile available (for better skin tone? for b/w conversion?). And we all know that accurate does not necessarily means pleasant color.

By all account Nikon has more consistent matrix metering. So one just
...Show more

I agree to the letter. I did not know that Ming opted for the GR in the end. I think it could have gone either way and I think they are both excellent cameras.

Yes, accurate is not necessarily the same as pleasant. Ricoh files are generally a bit "flat" but takes to processing very well. I usually bump it up a notch in post pro. I did notice the similarity in color rendering to the GXR and that is why it looks so good in RPP from scratch.

The only thing I can think of from the Coolpix A that I would want transferred to the GR is the Matrix Metering.

Markhout:
With the GR I "almost never" dial in a fixed compensation since the +- exp comp is always readily available at the thumb for very swift adjustments. I do prefer centerweighted to the (Ricoh) Matrix but I haven't used the latter all that much though - it might be decent, I don't know.

If I were in a position where it would be necessary to compensate I would start out with that and leave it in for as long as the lighting conditions are the same.

Joakim: nice shots. You must have gotten the GR about the same day I did, and from the same place.
He is quite a character and I have known him for quite a few years.

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:02 PM
joakim
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

kosmoskatten, I think I know who you mean and if I am right I bought other camera gear from him but I didn't know he sold Ricoh so I got mine online (cyberfoto).

Jun 06, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Sagar
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Just received mine and its charging. Hoping to have some photos worth sharing soon

On the sidenote I wished Ricoh had not followed Sony and had shipped separate battery charger specially with such a flimsy door for min USB port

Jun 06, 2013 at 07:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I use center-weighted exclusively too, *high five*. I think the metering in Ricoh is just a little "sensitive to small change in scene, not as robust" at times. So center-weighted give me more control if I want to re-meter (matrix metering has a life of its own, kinda like multi AF)

kosmoskatten wrote:
With the GR I "almost never" dial in a fixed compensation since the +- exp comp is always readily available at the thumb for very swift adjustments. I do prefer centerweighted to the (Ricoh) Matrix but I haven't used the latter all that much though - it might be decent, I don't know.

Jun 06, 2013 at 07:57 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Is there an inexpensive 3rd party battery charger one can find somewhere for it? Glad to read colour quality is similar to the GXR (A12 module I assume?), which I felt was fairly close to what I was used to with the M9.

Jun 06, 2013 at 07:59 PM
markhout
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I have this charger on order: http://www.bestbatt.com/Ricoh-BJ-6-Battery-Charger-p/bbbj6.htm

Jun 06, 2013 at 08:02 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

These look really interesting and some great results here so far.

Think might go take a look at one, I think there's a demo local to me.

Jun 07, 2013 at 04:59 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

markhout: I am glad I kept the battered GRDII - it is the same charger, BJ-6. I prefer a separate charger though I might rely on the USB charger on trips and let it charge overnight.

aleksanderpolo: great minds think alike. *highfive*

Jun 07, 2013 at 05:57 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Pretty murky light, just before it started raining, Stockholm, Slussen towards Gamla Stan.

Not too happy with the post processing, dabbled too much with a Jpeg.

Jun 07, 2013 at 06:21 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

HI guys,

I was at a local product demo with Pentax present, among others. The rep had a GR and GW3 wide angle accessory with him and I grabbed a few shots with it.

First of all the GR is a really great size. Small enough, but comfortable to hold. That said, the GW3 makes the camera quite a lot larger and the extra glass is a noticeably hefty addition to the svelte camera. I would say it's similar in size, if not larger around the lens, to a GXR with CV15 attached (comparable angle of view too). Looking at the results, the lens looks to retain quite good central sharpness and also not bad in the plane of focus (at least at near distances) towards the edges. HIgh contrast transitions towards the edges pick up some glow, as do out of focus areas with the lens wide open. There's also pretty significant CA in high contrast areas towards the edges, but improves as the lens is stopped down. Stopping down to f/4 helps quite a lot to improve edge performance. The combo also seems to increase barrel distortion somewhat. Would I get one? I think it's OK optically but the size is a turn off. I also haven't decided on the camera yet... it's tempting, but something is just holding me back. Maybe I'll wait until the new Leica 'Mini M' is confirmed to be a dud.

BTW, the Nikon rep had the new 'A' camera along too. It's nice, but I definitely like the size/feel of the GR better. It's a really compact feeling, snappy to use camera. I just have to convince myself I actually have a need for one.

Please forgive the lack of artistic motivation in these images below. Full-rez jpegs converted from DNG via LR 4.4 can be downloaded as an 85MB zipped file. Due to user error with exposure settings, some of the files were a bit under, which I pushed in post, therefore they might be a bit noisier than expected (no luminance NR was applied).

A few 100% crops:

Edited on Jun 07, 2013 at 10:42 PM · View previous versions

Jun 07, 2013 at 10:34 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Ron: the GR has very low CA and the conversion lens probably adds quite a lot. I see it as a "cheapskate" 21mm that works "well" or even "very well" considering the price.

It will probably come in handy at times but as a whole I much prefer the slim package of the GR on its own. I am getting the 21mm but I keep my expectations on the low side.

Jun 07, 2013 at 10:41 PM
dalegaspi
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

I've yet to see a wid(er) conversion lens that performs well, and to be honest, I've expected this 21 converter to perform worse...even if it performs exceptionally, I don't see myself getting one, either way...

Jun 08, 2013 at 12:00 AM
weekh
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Ricoh GR Image Thread

Jun 08, 2013 at 04:27 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password