Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

pjny
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

Hi,

I am currently using Nikon strobes+pockewizard ttl5 for daily assignment portraits but was never really happy with the results using different modifiers such as photek softliter and beauty dishes.

I see the Acutre b2 is on sale with free lamp and wanted to know how it compares to Paul BUff Einstein with Buff modifiers. I have the Vagabond Mini with 2 batteries so I can power an Einstein with it for mobile work.

I want to buy once even if it is more expensive. I once saw a photographer use a simple Profoto beauty dish with grid at a workshop and I was amazed at the quality of light even without a lot of post processing and makeup.

I've also looked at the Elinchrom rotalux and the quality of light looks superb.

this is a big decision as I want to start with the best system and grow from there. I know profoto is available for rental everywhere so I can supplement anything my kit if I need anything else.
Have you made the profoto choice and are you happy with it?

I've also explored Kino flo Diva 200/400 and love the light. I shoot quite a lot of indoor portraits and need a quick and easy setup. I do like the easy setup of the Diva's as well as the WYSIWYG results as you shoot. I made three sets of homemade Kino lights(98 CRI 48" 2-bulb units) but they are not as compact as the divas and not dimmable.

Thanks.

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:58 PM
aztwang1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

Personally I love Profoto. I have not used Elincrom or PCB. It was by accident I started using Profoto. I was in the same situation as you trying to decide what to do about lighting. I answered an add on CL for a Nikkor lens and long story short after 6 months the guy had to make a decision, his wife or his hobby and I was at the right place, right time. I bought his complete studio loaded with Profoto and I mean loaded for a ridiculous amount. I could not say no. Now, that being said, it is pricey equipment (Dad always said, you get what you pay for son) but everything is built robust, there is a light modifier for everything and anything you can imagine, Profoto is available at any rental house and lastly the light is beautiful, consistent and fast. I also have the AcuteB2 600R. Its a great one light pack. Recently they came out with a "Y" cable so you can run 2 lights off the pack, splitting the power evenly
Bottom line, a beautiful light, great quality and if you ever need tech support, the guys at Mac Group in NY are top notch.
Good luck with your hunt!

Jun 03, 2013 at 12:15 AM
pjny
• •
p.1 #3 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

Thanks. I first heard of profoto back in 2003 when I was assisting a friend who was shooting a musician and needed me to move the softboxes with his 7b around. I simply held the softbox off a stand above the musican as he say back on a couch and I was simply blown away by the beautiful light and the amazing falloff/gradiation. I had never used profoto before but it was heavenly light. The 600b was used on this picture story and it looks incredible:

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/17/spring-training-with-a-flash/

In 2012 I was at a photo conference and saw a portait class with photog using just one head with profoto beauty dish and grid. I was amazed again. I've always used non-premium units due to company budget but want to buy this for my personal work. the paul buff option also always held me back in my decsion making.

aztwang1 wrote:
Personally I love Profoto. I have not used Elincrom or PCB. It was by accident I started using Profoto. I was in the same situation as you trying to decide what to do about lighting. I answered an add on CL for a Nikkor lens and long story short after 6 months the guy had to make a decision, his wife or his hobby and I was at the right place, right time. I bought his complete studio loaded with Profoto and I mean loaded for a ridiculous amount. I could not say no. Now, that being said, it is
...Show more

Jun 03, 2013 at 12:49 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

AcuteB was my first generator, and the white BD was my first modifier. Sweet combo! The current promo is an awesome deal, especially with that new LiFe battery. Once you drink the Kool-Aid, of course, the urge to spend all your money on more Profoto goodies will keep you awake at night.

Jun 03, 2013 at 09:27 AM
316shooter
• • •
p.1 #5 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

The Acute B2 units are by far my favorite and most utilized pieces of lighting gear. The new batteries are so light and have huge capacity. More often than not, my assistant carries the pack over his shoulder and guides the light in as needed. Typically I use either a beauty dish or Plume hex on the head, and the whole thing is very easy to carry. Amazing power range, durability, and of course that priceless modifier mount. They go with me all the time and come in so handy for all types of portraiture, architecture, and anything else you can imagine. Can't speak highly enough about them.

Jun 03, 2013 at 03:45 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

I have the acuteb2 600r and love it. On paper there are cheaper alternatives but it is so nice to use the build quality, solidness of the mount and ease of use count for a lot after years of use. For a location system I like that there is no cooling fan and the recycle time is also faster than einstien + mini vagabond which is a big consideration for fashion.

My only real complaint is that it isn't digital so no 1/10th increments and remote power control - after using the D1s and AirS system it feels a bit old fashioned. Also, you can't run it off the mains and extra batteries are very expensive - the workaround is to use the 7b charger which charges about the same rate you drain the battery.

Profoto's real strength are their reflectors I think. Zoom, magnum and telezoom are all excellent.

Jun 03, 2013 at 03:53 PM
pjny
• •
p.1 #7 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

Thanks. The main reason I want to get them is the amazing light quality just from what I have seen with my own eyes at two photo shoots. I've seen some tests comparing light quality between buff and profoto. In your experience can the light modifiers on buff look as good as profoto? I want to buy once and be done.

I was looking at the D1 but heard that due to recessed head the light is uneven at edges and is really only good for softboxes and umbrellas even with dome. Is this true?

Thanks.

Mark_L wrote:
I have the acuteb2 600r and love it. On paper there are cheaper alternatives but it is so nice to use the build quality, solidness of the mount and ease of use count for a lot after years of use. For a location system I like that there is no cooling fan and the recycle time is also faster than einstien + mini vagabond which is a big consideration for fashion.

My only real complaint is that it isn't digital so no 1/10th increments and remote power control - after using the D1s and AirS system it feels a bit old
...Show more

Jun 03, 2013 at 06:04 PM
pjny
• •
p.1 #8 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

Thanks. The main reason I want to get them is the amazing light quality just from what I have seen with my own eyes at two photo shoots. I've seen some tests comparing light quality between buff and profoto. In your experience can the light modifiers on buff look as good as profoto? I want to buy once and be done.

My question is: is the profoto quality light 4x better than the paul buff einstein using similar light modifiers such as the profoto beauty dish vs. buff beauty dish?

I was looking at the D1 but heard that due to recessed head the light is uneven at edges and is really only good for softboxes and umbrellas even with dome. Is this true?

Thanks.

Mark_L wrote:

My only real complaint is that it isn't digital so no 1/10th increments and remote power control - after using the D1s and AirS system it feels a bit old
...Show more

Jun 03, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #9 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

While I would agree Profoto beats Elinchrom in overall build a quality, the light quality and modifiers are pretty much equal. It's pretty hard to beat the Quadra for portability and ease of use unless you have to have more than 400 watts.

Jun 03, 2013 at 06:19 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #10 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

I think when I buck up to something beyond my little ab800 it will probably just be Einstein + vagabond + cyber commander. If I'm not satisfied with that then this stuff seems pretty easy to move and I'll be out less than it would have cost me for an extended rental period. Yeah, buy once and all but it's really not that big of a deal to sell and then buy again and I will probably end up being content with Einstein.

brad

Jun 03, 2013 at 06:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pjny
• •
p.1 #11 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

Thanks. Wow, I looked at the quadra and it looks like an amazing product/deal with two head capability without the expensive profoto line splitter($300+).

I heard though that the elinchrom mounting system is not as sturdy and easy to use as profoto. that's why some people use profoto heads on elinchrom rotalux for instance.

any idea if using profoto adaptor on elinchrom head has worse quality of light than using elinchrom head?

are the modifiers specifically designed for the brand mount and will a profoto-elinchrom adaptor look worse?

thanks.

Jun 03, 2013 at 06:35 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

pjny wrote:

Thanks.

I have never used buff products, they have a minimal presence in the UK which was a huge factor in my decision to go profoto. I can say though that elinchrom modifiers are excellent.

I have spoken to a respected fashion photog who did a back to back test with a mola setti with D1 and 'normal' profoto heads saying the D1 was not a nice. I saw no real issues using a profoto dish with the D1s but have not done a comparison.

Jun 03, 2013 at 10:23 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #13 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

pjny wrote:
Thanks. The main reason I want to get them is the amazing light quality just from what I have seen with my own eyes at two photo shoots.

This is normally a function of the modifiers more than the lights.

Both Profoto and Elinchrom are easy to rent so you might want to do that for a weekend before committing to those systems which can be expensive (especially Profoto)...

Jun 03, 2013 at 11:18 PM
aztwang1
• •
p.1 #14 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

pjny wrote:
Thanks. Wow, I looked at the quadra and it looks like an amazing product/deal with two head capability without the expensive profoto line splitter($300+).

I heard though that the elinchrom mounting system is not as sturdy and easy to use as profoto. that's why some people use profoto heads on elinchrom rotalux for instance.

any idea if using profoto adaptor on elinchrom head has worse quality of light than using elinchrom head?

are the modifiers specifically designed for the brand mount and will a profoto-elinchrom adaptor look worse?

thanks.

I think most will agree if they have used Profoto, even if they own another system, The Profoto mount is the best out there, fast, easy, secure and you can zoom the modifier in and out.

Jun 04, 2013 at 01:10 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #15 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

"Thanks. Wow, I looked at the quadra and it looks like an amazing product/deal with two head capability without the expensive profoto line splitter($300+). I heard though that the elinchrom mounting system is not as sturdy and easy to use as profoto. that's why some people use profoto heads on elinchrom rotalux for instance. any idea if using profoto adaptor on elinchrom head has worse quality of light than using elinchrom head? are the modifiers specifically designed for the brand mount and will a Profoto-elinchrom adaptor look worse?

thanks."

I use Elinchrom exclusively but I would agree that the Profoto mount is very nice. However, the Elinchrom mount is good too and very easy to use. Unless you are changing very large modifiers a lot I doubt that you would ever have an issue with Elinchrom. Both are great flash systems. Surely a lot of Profoto users use Elinchrom modifiers as they really are wonderful but they are also less expensive than Profoto which is icing on the cake. But it's looks like Profoto has introduced a more economical line to combat that. Either system is very nice, but it's worth it to compare both, especially where mobility is a primary factor.

Jun 05, 2013 at 03:00 AM
mattdoebler

p.1 #16 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

I was recently working a Help Portrait Day with my local group of photographers. I was one of the image editors. One station was set up with an AB 800 in an Octa and one station was set up with two Profoto D1s in softboxes. I saw all the raw files from these two stations ( photographing the same subjects). There was no detectable difference in the quality of light from these two very opposite ends of the lightimg brand spectrum.

Photographers like to talk about different lighting systems the way they talk about cars (probably because it's mostly guys talking). But the debate between Profoto, Buff, and Eli often takes on a Bentley, Ford, Lexus tone, when, in reality, it should take one more of a Land Rover, Mazda, Toyota tone. The differences in performance/durability are minimal while the differences in curb appeal are much greater.

Jan 21, 2014 at 05:19 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #17 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

Since you already have the Pocketwizard's you should seriously consider the Quadra with at least one S head. It's only about a 1/3 stop less powerful and with the Pocketwizard you can utilize Hypersync. The portability is wonderful and Elinchrom's modifiers are fantastic. Then if you choose to go Profoto later you can always use your modifiers with the adapter. Even if you have other brands of Strobes the Qudra is pretty hard to beat for ease of use and result performance.

Jan 22, 2014 at 04:19 AM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

No love for Speedotron or Dynalite around here..

Jan 22, 2014 at 04:46 AM
pmiller228

p.1 #19 · Profoto AcuteB2 600 AirS vs. Paul Buff Einstein vs Kino

I use a couple Einstein's. I went with the best I could afford. They work great for everything I've thrown at them so far. There's a learning curve with the cyber commander because the UI is a little clunky and it does so much. Once you learn how to use it, it's great. The light quality is great. I like the PCB foldable softboxes too. They're a little bulky when folded but the setup is super easy. They're great if you shoot on location. Another thing if you shoot locations a lot, parts are cheap. A flashtube is only $35.

Profoto is a better build quality and I like the mounting system better. I would have spent the cash on them if I had it. So far though, no regrets with the Einsteins.

Jan 22, 2014 at 06:24 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password