Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Quantum Turbo 2x2 question?

Fish On
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Quantum Turbo 2x2 question?

I am currently using a Canon battery power pack and I was thinking of switching over to using a Quantum Turbo 2x2 battery to power my flash for shooting night football.

Will I get faster recycle times with the Quantum battery pack as opposed to the Canon power pack? I don't want to plunk down $300 for a used Quantum if the recycle times are not going to improve over the Canon's.

I also have an Al Jacobs battery pack and I tried that but the Canon battery pack gave me faster recycle times than the Al Jacobs battery pack.

I appreciate any advise on the Quantums. Thanks for your responses.

Jun 02, 2013 at 05:22 PM
MNPNW
• •
p.1 #2 · Quantum Turbo 2x2 question?

You may want to consider the two output socket Godox Propac PB960 ($200 on amazon). I have the PB820 (one output socket) and it's great. If you don't need the two output sockets the PB820 is $90 on eBay including shipping. $ 120 on amazon.

Also sold as Chettah: http://www.cheetahstand.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/CL-L4500.pdf

Only negatives of the 820 are power plug blacks two outlets on wall or power strip and I wish it (the 820 unit itself) had a flat bottom. The 960 does have a flat bottom and interchangeable batteries. I use the 820 with Canon 600EX-RT flashes.

Good features include auto power off if cord not in socket so cannot accidently turn on in camera bag.

The 960 has locking sockets with used with compatible cords. Non-locking cords work fine.

I have two Canon CP-E3 packs, the Godox PB-820, and a Quantum 2X2.

Jun 02, 2013 at 06:55 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Quantum Turbo 2x2 question?

You will get much faster recycle times with the Quantum battery, especially at 1/4 to 1/2 power.

Jun 02, 2013 at 08:37 PM
markd61
• •
p.1 #4 · Quantum Turbo 2x2 question?

DanBrown wrote:
You will get much faster recycle times with the Quantum battery, especially at 1/4 to 1/2 power.

+1

The Quantum packs are very fast recycling.

I don't know if the Godox provide the same performance or are more like the Canon accessory battery pack that just extends the number of flashes and offers no increase in recycling time. If they can do what Quantum does....great but they make no claims other than they work with some (not all) Quantum flashes.Moreover they do not specify which Quantums work with their batteries.

I have had several conversations with Quantum on the subject of moving to Lithium batteries in their packs. They always tell me they have no plans to change and I have no idea whether they will or if there is some technical limitation to their circuitry that prevents the use of Lithium batteries but I sure wish they would do it.

Jun 02, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Quantum Turbo 2x2 question?

When purchasing a battery pack used, it's very important to know how old it is, and how much it has been used. The cells only last so long, and they may be in need of replacement.

Jun 02, 2013 at 11:35 PM
MNPNW
• •
p.1 #6 · Quantum Turbo 2x2 question?

The Cheetah 960 recycles two Canon 580 and 600 flashes at full power in one second, yes two flashes at the same time in one second. Quantum specifications say one second for full power on single speedlight flash.

Unless there is something of which I am unaware, fractional power recycling will be in general proportionally faster. I've not tested fractional power recycling since the flash is charged so fast, I just keep shooting.

When I use the PB820 (or Quantum 2x2 or Canon CP-E3), the limit to recycling is overheating of the Canon 600, not the battery "speed".

The Godox 820 is much like a Canon CP-E3 / E4, the 960 is more like a Turbo 3. All of the options reduce recycle time. The CP-E3 / E4 reduces charge time.

When I photograph a celebrity meet & greet, I typically go as fast as possible since the celebrity doesn't really want to do a long M&G, plus the time scheduled is fairly tight. Using a single Canon 600 at 1/4 to half power hits the overheating limit, so I'll use two or three flashes instead (with Canon, Godox, or Quantum battery packs). Most M&G's last 30 minutes and I'll take 2-3 exposures of each fan or fan group with the celebrity. 200 fans X 2.5 exposures = 500 flashes in 30 minutes. A single Canon 600 at 1/4 or more power does hit the overheat limit before the meet & greet is complete.

While it's good that the 600's are better at slowing and shutting off to prevent overheating, it also means one needs to be more aware than with 580's which kept going until they blew up .

Jun 03, 2013 at 04:28 PM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #7 · Quantum Turbo 2x2 question?

Thanks for the responses. At least I have a couple more options to think about now instead of just the Quantum.

@Ben - the Quantum that I am thinking of getting used has just been re-celled in April. Thanks for the response.

Jun 03, 2013 at 04:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MNPNW
• •
p.1 #8 · Quantum Turbo 2x2 question?

Canon specifies that the CP-E4 reduces recycle times by "...approximately one-third of the original value, and the number of flashes is increased by approximately three times."

For 580 or 600 units, full power recycle is about 5.5 seconds, so with CP-E3 / E4, full recycle is about 1.8 seconds.

Quantum and Cheetah 960 do a full power recycle in one second.

Canon specifies about 48 full power consecutive flashes until the 600EX-RT hits the overheating warning AND 2/3 that number if using an external power source (CP-E4), so with even faster charging by Quantum or Cheetah 960, I anticipate the temperature warning is activated at even fewer flashes.

PS: I don't have a financial interest in any of the companies and reserved posting about the Godox PB820 until I used it 6 months. Now over 15 months with the PB820, I feel pretty confident that it is a good product. Will be purchasing a Cheetah 960 battery soon ($ 215).

Jun 03, 2013 at 04:56 PM
PacAce

p.1 #9 · Quantum Turbo 2x2 question?

MNPNW wrote:
Canon specifies that the CP-E4 reduces recycle times by "...approximately one-third of the original value, and the number of flashes is increased by approximately three times."

For 580 or 600 units, full power recycle is about 5.5 seconds, so with CP-E3 / E4, full recycle is about 1.8 seconds.

Quantum and Cheetah 960 do a full power recycle in one second.

Canon specifies about 48 full power consecutive flashes until the 600EX-RT hits the overheating warning AND 2/3 that number if using an external power source (CP-E4), so with even faster charging by Quantum or Cheetah 960, I anticipate the
...Show more

FYI, the CP-E4 can recycle in about 1 second after a full power discharge just like the Turbo 2x2 can.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=9284876&postcount=4

Jun 07, 2013 at 05:15 PM
MNPNW
• •
p.1 #10 · Quantum Turbo 2x2 question?

I thought it is faster than 1.8 seconds, but I figured to be on the conservative side, I cite the specifications published by Canon. Good to know it's as fast as a Turbo 2x2.

Jun 08, 2013 at 03:47 AM
Colton3310

Account locked
p.1 #11 · Quantum Turbo 2x2 question?

Turbo

Jun 09, 2013 at 07:05 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Quantum Turbo 2x2 question?

Recharged cycle time is a function of how fast current can be pumped into the capacitors. The external packs do that by using more robust step-up transformers in the pack inputting the higher voltage directly to the flash via the external HV port.

The Al Jacobs "Black Box" is a "Dummy Battery" style pack. It doesn't by-pass the internal electronics, it just eliminates the need for swapping batteries during a long shoot and recharging lots of AA batteries afterwards. Because it likely delivers a bit more current than AA batteries it may decrease recycle times slightly vs. a fresh set of AAs and more signficantly compared to a nearly depleted set but not to the extent of the HV style packs. It's more like the Energizer Bunny with a 12V car battery strapped to it's back; it keeps going and going, but at the same speed as AAs.

Shooting football at night would seem to require shooting at full power most of the time, but if you haven't encountered overheating with the CP-E4 the flash must be getting sufficient time to cool down between plays.

So any of the units which use the external HV port should re-cycle in about the same time because the limiting factor in pumping current into the caps will be the internal wiring of the flash, not the gauge of the wire connecting the external pack. The main advantage I see in Quantum vs CP-E4 is logistics; fewer AA batteries to wrangle and recharge.

Jun 09, 2013 at 11:57 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Quantum Turbo 2x2 question?

Colton3310 wrote:
Turbo

In this case, it's a Quantum model name, not an actual turbo/turbine device.

http://www.qtm.com/index.php/products/2012-05-17-18-18-59/turbos

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:33 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password