New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Camera Body Dillema

Game Changer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera Body Dillema

I would like to hear your thoughts/recommendations on my intent to buy a camera body.

I already have 3 FX bodies (D4/D3s/D700) that I use for the sports events I shoot. I am venturing into on-site green screen at my events and I need a camera strictly for the green screen tent I have setup. In my setup I have a tripod and MacBook Pro with the PhotoKey 6 software and I definitely want to shoot tethered.

Here's where I need some advice: Should I buy a good condition used D7000/D7100 or similar body (heck...I regret giving away my trusty D40 now!) or should I bite the bullet and buy another used D3s or even a D4? I am thinking the new body will be used solely for the green screen setup and a DX camera with it's much smaller size and weight would be a plus. I really do not need all the bells & whistles of the hi-end FX bodies for this application.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:42 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera Body Dillema

Why not a used D600 since you already have FF lenses?

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera Body Dillema

leighton w wrote:
Why not a used D600 since you already have FF lenses?

I never really considered the D600 because I don't know much about them. I see that Adorama has USA Refurbished models for about $1600. How does the D600 body size compare to the DX bodies? This might be a good option.

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:53 AM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera Body Dillema

D600 is more or less a FX D7000(D300->D700)

Jun 02, 2013 at 11:07 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera Body Dillema

No Mercy wrote:
I never really considered the D600 because I don't know much about them. I see that Adorama has USA Refurbished models for about $1600. How does the D600 body size compare to the DX bodies? This might be a good option.

The body is only slightly larger than a D7000. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the files. Take a look at my Flickr page if you care to see some images from it. BTW, all the images on there are from MF Nikkor lenses.

Jun 02, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera Body Dillema

Very nice work!

Jun 02, 2013 at 11:39 AM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera Body Dillema

DX body with a kit lens will be sufficient for this application - you don't need shallow DOF, or low light advantages of FX, and you don't need super fast AF or a wide aperture.

A used D200 with an 18-70 would serve you well in this role!

Jun 04, 2013 at 11:40 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera Body Dillema

jasoncallen wrote:
DX body with a kit lens will be sufficient for this application - you don't need shallow DOF, or low light advantages of FX, and you don't need super fast AF or a wide aperture.

A used D200 with an 18-70 would serve you well in this role!

I agree. Put the extra $1000+ in your pocket and buy a used DX body. KEH has a "like new" D200 for $310 and an "excellent" copy for $275.

Jun 04, 2013 at 12:32 PM
anomalyconcept

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera Body Dillema

Here's a size comparison between the D700 and D600 (closest in size): http://camerasize.com/compare/#181,378

With DX bodies, just make sure you are able to tether before you buy.

Jun 04, 2013 at 12:35 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera Body Dillema

it's funny, i see a lot of companies using canon G10's and other super zooms for stuff like this.....you walk around some of the tourist traps in orlando that are doing the "old west" type portraits, green screen work, etc, you'll see NO ONE is using the newest, latest and greatest, DSLR...they're all using higher end point and shoots, MAYBE the occasional d40 or d70.....heck, when you walk in to the front gates at Disney World, and they want to shoot the little shot of you and the family that you can buy later on, they're STILL using D70's....

Jun 04, 2013 at 04:22 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera Body Dillema

NathanHamler wrote:
it's funny, i see a lot of companies using canon G10's and other super zooms for stuff like this.....you walk around some of the tourist traps in orlando that are doing the "old west" type portraits, green screen work, etc, you'll see NO ONE is using the newest, latest and greatest, DSLR...they're all using higher end point and shoots, MAYBE the occasional d40 or d70.....heck, when you walk in to the front gates at Disney World, and they want to shoot the little shot of you and the family that you can buy later on, they're STILL using D70's....

Because they are cheap and get the job done. You can trust them to an 18 year old kid without worrying too much about it being stolen. Business people sell you memories. Photographers sell you quality (or at least they try? lol)

Jun 04, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera Body Dillema

I bought a refurbished D600 from Adorama. It arrived with 1780 clicks and other than that it is indistinguishable from a brand new body. I get a 1 year warranty as well via their VIP program.

The size will work great and as Leighton mentioned it is an FX body to compliment my FX lenses. I admit that if I still had my old DX D40 and DX lenses that probably would be the way to go for the dedicated green screen setup.

The more I thought about it the more the D600 made sense. I realized that I may have been limiting myself by getting a "one trick pony" camera and the D600 does a lot that may be beneficial for other applications such as other studio work, portraits, etc (All the boring stuff I have not had much of an interest in doing.)

Thanks to all for the advice and recommendations. All the input was great and really helped!

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:38 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.