Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

Matt Anderson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

Congratulations to Matt Anderson for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 17 votes - View Previous Winners

This is a multiple exposure of the Grand Tetons with a pre-dawn glow, light painting, and the Milky Way above. A long exposure for the sky and stars, a second exposure with light painting, and a third exposure of the first light bathing the Moutain tops. All taken hours apart. Below you can see the snake river twisting through the scene. Some distant smoke and fog layers the hillside and mountain bases.

If your meticulous with your execution and processing, I think you'll find amazing star captures can be obtained without using an AstroTrac.

Nikon D800E, 14-24mm, MC36A Cable Release, Carbon Tripod with BH-55 & PCL1

(Altered version via comments -Blue Cast in sky, original below)

Original Posting:

I really like the foreground trees with the remains of some golden leaves. It looked like Christmas trees with glowing yellow lights. Even though the Milky Way is the main draw, the contrasting branches to the darker trees behind is what catches my eyes. I'm a sucker for intricate branches and detailed contrasting elements.

(Detail View)

Thanks for viewing.

Edited on Jun 02, 2013 at 10:46 PM · View previous versions

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:19 PM
JustinPoe
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

Wow. The time and effort into both the shot and processing on this one was well worth it. Amazing photo.

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:36 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

AWESOME!

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:41 PM
river rover
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

AMAZING!! My eye does kind of wander around looking for where the light is coming from, but in this case every stop along the way is worthwhile!

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:44 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

Love it. This must be Snake River overlook. I have plans for something like this on my July trip only I was thinking about the barn. But this is certainly a great view.

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:48 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

spectacular!! Nice effort that really paid off!!

Jun 02, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

Yo Matt, striking epic work as always! Great job!!! Wildly celestial and atmospheric.

I'm thinking the blue in the middle of #1 might benefit being a hair more tamed.

Jun 02, 2013 at 08:25 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

Seamless combination of different images. Terrific work. My only critique is to toning down the blue in the middle part a little bit as Mark suggested. Eye is drawn to that area.
Harsha

Jun 02, 2013 at 08:59 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

Matt, it's an epic image but I find myself liking more the fragment of it in #2.
#1 does not seem finished and will benefit from more PP. One of the problems is MW positioned right in a middle, and the other is bright blue sky in the center. If it's pre-dawn as mountain tops suggest, sky cannot be that deep blue. Also, having so many bright stars competing with MW is a bit distracting.

Sasha.

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:27 PM
dasams
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

Matt Anderson wrote:
This is a multiple exposure of the Grand Tetons with a pre-dawn glow, light painting, and the Milky Way above. A long exposure for the sky and stars, a second exposure with light painting, and a third exposure of the first light bathing the Moutain tops.

I like this composition a lot. With Milky Way shots, what I find most attractive is the presence of the dust which appear as clouds. Can that be pulled from your shot? Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1197915/0?keyword=milky#11422197

Great shot, Dave

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Matt Anderson
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

Reposted an alteration of the original. I think I agree on subduing the blue cast.

Dave, the link you posted, IMHO, is as good as it gets for clear skies, and, filling the fov with maximum milky way. My skies weren't as crystal clear, but, still decent given the fires that were kicking out smoke obscuring the skies in previous weeks. Also, processing plays a big part of the tonal details your conveying. You sorta have to decide if you want to pop contrast to make what light is present as bright as it could be (within reason), or, using curves, especially in the shadow areas, with pinpoint, and I mean pin point accuracy, trying to create tonal separation amongst the faintest of values (those areas you call dust clouds).

-m

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:52 PM
dasams
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

Matt Anderson wrote:
the link you posted, IMHO, is as good as it gets for clear skies, and, filling the fov with maximum milky way.

Matt:

I wan't sure how much was due to processing vs clear skies so thanks for the follow-up note. I've never taken my camera to a truly dark site but that's on my to-do list Dave

Jun 02, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

dasams wrote:
Matt:

I wan't sure how much was due to processing vs clear skies so thanks for the follow-up note. I've never taken my camera to a truly dark site but that's on my to-do list Dave

The clearest skies I have ever seen were on Kauai and on cruise ships. There were some skies at night near Barbados and near Curacao that were utterly jaw dropping. I had no idea you could see so much with the naked eye. I imagine the yukon on the coldest night, from what Marc Adamus has told me, is as good as it gets...

Jun 02, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

Great work! I would crop out the bottom until I made the image square. Stunning landscape

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:45 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

This looks great to me! It's art, the star shots are so subjective, I wouldn't couldn't tell you how to improve on your vision.

Good Job Matt!!

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:56 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

Very nice job and well put together.

Jun 03, 2013 at 02:32 AM
marty bober
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

Very well done. Love this shot....

Jun 03, 2013 at 02:38 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

this is great love the depth in it

Jun 03, 2013 at 02:45 AM
DSC01
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

Matt, stunning image with great execution , had you not done an altered version I would still love the original but since you did I prefer the 2nd version over the first. Amazing work ! regards,
Dean

Jun 03, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Milky Way Twilight Afterglow Over The Grand Tetons

That is "LOTS of STARS", Matt. The composition is super as well. In this I like the vertical Milky Way a lot.
I somehow like the original version better with natural color and foreground trees are beautifully popping up,
even complementing the night sky.

Beautifully executed!

Kee

Jun 03, 2013 at 11:31 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password