Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Who still chooses the 5D?

samwise
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Who still chooses the 5D?

yes you should still get it! I feel complete again

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:37 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Who still chooses the 5D?

samwise
the exif file is showing that you used the 7D for that image.

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:37 PM
GraemePitman
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Who still chooses the 5D?

It's the only camera body I own.

http://blog.pitmanphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Small_kids_2012_recap-015.jpg

Jun 05, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Sergio Mottola
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Who still chooses the 5D?

i use them 90% of the time.

Jun 05, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Who still chooses the 5D?

sgtbueno wrote:
samwise
the exif file is showing that you used the 7D for that image.

, it does.

BTW, I love the 5Dc.

Jun 05, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Who still chooses the 5D?

Dudewithoutape wrote:
, it does.

BTW, I love the 5Dc.

Jun 06, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Joseph Garcin
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Who still chooses the 5D?

Brian Virts wrote:
There is nothing like shooting into the sun with an original 5D. I've never seen such beautiful, creamy files. I still shoot one, if I have time and light, I actually prefer it.

You have nailed it. In magic light, the 5Dc outshines any other 5D model. It quickly flattens compared to the 5D3 outside of a narrow range of conditions, but for those conditions it is pure magic. But for the hour before sunset and hour after sunrise shots it is wonderful in a completely irrational way.

Jun 06, 2013 at 09:44 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Who still chooses the 5D?

Sergio Mottola wrote:
i use them 90% of the time

Must be nice to be able to make great money in this business without having to continually incur huge capital expenditures to the business in order to keep current with the latest gear.

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:38 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Who still chooses the 5D?

I've always said that if we hadn't started out with Nikon gear, we'd have moved to a pair of 5Ds instead of a pair of D700s when we decided to go full frame.

Jun 06, 2013 at 06:50 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Who still chooses the 5D?

I run with the 1DsII ... same vintage ... same reason.... its a tank but enjoy the AF.

Jun 06, 2013 at 11:31 PM
samwise
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Who still chooses the 5D?

Weird it does say I used a 7D, I don't even own one, what the??

It also says I used 184mm and aperture f7 too... (I used my 35L wide open)

Apparently its amazing at taking pictures, and so humble it won't even take credit for it :P

Jun 07, 2013 at 05:24 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Who still chooses the 5D?

I used my 5Dc until the beginning of last year. I skipped the 5D2 because I was somewhat boycotting the flaccid upgrade that Canon did to that camera. Then the 5D3 came out (which I now have two of) and when I came back to the 5D for whatever reason it was like my spine went limp. While there's some great things about the 5D, the 5D3 in my experience and opinion blows everything about the 5Dc out of the water. Even the color rendering is superior on the 5D3. Add to that just about everything I want in focus is actually in focus and vastly better high ISO. I'll always love the 5Dc but I don't ever want to shoot with it again. The 5D3 is the first camera I've owned where to an extent the camera's lack of function doesn't dictate my style. Although I'm very much looking forward to the next cameras Canon comes out with that will fix a few shortcomings the 5D3 still has. Another interesting thing is when I go back to old photos to do a re-do on the post production on it as my style changes, going back to the 5Dc files is an altered experience now. Again, special place in my heart for that camera but every time I pick it up I hear the corporate crappies at Canon screaming in my ear "if you really wanted better AF you should have bought the 1Ds3!"

Jun 09, 2013 at 08:41 AM
DaggerVez
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Who still chooses the 5D?

5D is still my main body for weddings. I wouldn't even think about buying mk2 or mk3...files are ridiculously HUGE.

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:15 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Who still chooses the 5D?

cineski wrote:
I used my 5Dc until the beginning of last year. I skipped the 5D2 because I was somewhat boycotting the flaccid upgrade that Canon did to that camera.

I skipped the 5D2, as well, because I didn't think it was enough of an improvement over the 5D Classic.

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:48 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Who still chooses the 5D?

cineski wrote:
I used my 5Dc until the beginning of last year. I skipped the 5D2 because I was somewhat boycotting the flaccid upgrade that Canon did to that camera. Then the 5D3 came out (which I now have two of) and when I came back to the 5D for whatever reason it was like my spine went limp. While there's some great things about the 5D, the 5D3 in my experience and opinion blows everything about the 5Dc out of the water. Even the color rendering is superior on the 5D3. Add to that just about everything I want in focus
...Show more

+1 to ALL of this

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:24 AM
Ghost
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Who still chooses the 5D?

I have a soft heart for the 5d. Used it for years until late last year when I replaced it with the 5d3. The mark 3 is every way superior to the previous 5d. It brought back the old 5dc IQ again. Something lacking with the plasticky over-saturated 5d2.

When the used price hit $400 I might get a 5dc again. It's a good stills camera.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM
form
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Who still chooses the 5D?

I personally feel that 5d2 color is better than 5d3 color...and possibly 5d1 color is slightly better than 5d2 color...skin tones especially. I'm finding a similar problem getting good skin tones with 5d3 as I had with D800, though the color cast is different.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:45 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Who still chooses the 5D?

form wrote:
I personally feel that 5d2 color is better than 5d3 color.

I think you should start a thread about that over in the Canon forum.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:33 PM
form
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Who still chooses the 5D?

D. Diggler wrote:
I think you should start a thread about that over in the Canon forum.

I think you should stop antagonizing me when I don't deserve it.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Who still chooses the 5D?

How are you processing your files? I'm in LR4/CS6 and now LR5 and I'm finding the skin tones from the 5D3 amazing. I also find that I'm having to dial in much less in post but that may also be because my taste is changing. Tones are good with the 5D as well but the grain structure is so different now I find the images grate on me. As for the 5D2, I personally never warmed up to that camera nor the images from it. Images just seemed so harsh to me for whatever reason despite anything I did in post. And the shadows were...blech.

form wrote:
I personally feel that 5d2 color is better than 5d3 color...and possibly 5d1 color is slightly better than 5d2 color...skin tones especially. I'm finding a similar problem getting good skin tones with 5d3 as I had with D800, though the color cast is different.

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:18 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.