Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Who still chooses the 5D?

samwise
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Who still chooses the 5D?

Anyone still choose to use the 5D original? I shot for 4 years with this camera and have since upgraded to the mark 2's, and used them for a year and a half exclusively. Well I found a mint copy of the original 5D on CL and couldn't pass it up... I am now shooting with it as my primary body, especially when in natural light... man I am so happy to see those amazing files back on my monitor. I guess it's probably mostly subjective preference, and maybe a bit of nostalgia, but I just wanted to share and ask if anyone else feels the same?

Here is a recent shot from a couple days ago, 5D and 35L wide open:

http://ssphoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-R3GTWmg/0/M/i-R3GTWmg-M.jpg

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:16 AM
jah2266
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Who still chooses the 5D?

Same here, keep the newer models when I need high iso or the speed for focus. Use two 5ds as my main body still these days even after trying out 1Ds MK II, 1DS MK III, 5D II and the 5D III. I just love the files from it.

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:00 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Who still chooses the 5D?

I definitely like the look of the 5Dc images in well lit situations over the 5D2. But, I shoot with two 5D3's now, and I do prefer those over the 5Dc

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Who still chooses the 5D?

I shoot with the 5D3 now, but still have two 5D bodies which still see use and will stay in my arsenal for some time.

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:23 AM
thorne88
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Who still chooses the 5D?

5Dc is still my main body, unless I need the high ISO options, then I grab the 5Dii. Like everyone else, I just love the files from it.

Jun 02, 2013 at 11:11 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Who still chooses the 5D?

One thing to note about the 5d...if anyone has seen the noise charts posted in one of my threads by someone the other day...it actually shows the 5d's noise curve in the low ISOs to be closer to the Nikon cameras, starting very low at low ISO. I wonder if this is part of what makes the 5d images look "good."

That said, I sold all 3 of my 5d bodies last year to replace them with 5d2s because I needed the high ISO and didn't like the RF noise interference lines in the 5d (especially visible at high ISOs).

Jun 02, 2013 at 12:14 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Who still chooses the 5D?

form wrote:
One thing to note about the 5d...if anyone has seen the noise charts posted in one of my threads by someone the other day...it actually shows the 5d's noise curve in the low ISOs to be closer to the Nikon cameras, starting very low at low ISO. I wonder if this is part of what makes the 5d images look "good."

That said, I sold all 3 of my 5d bodies last year to replace them with 5d2s because I needed the high ISO and didn't like the RF noise interference lines in the 5d (especially visible at high ISOs).

The color filter array on the 5d is "better" (better color separation), on the 5d mkII they lightened up the filter to get better high iso response. The 5d mkIII is a step in the right direction, but there are aspects of the old 5d that may still be better in the right light.

or you could just go to nikon

Jun 02, 2013 at 01:23 PM
mohoyt

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Who still chooses the 5D?

When you say you like the 5Dc's images, are you referring just to SOOC jpegs, or RAWs too?

Jun 02, 2013 at 02:47 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Who still chooses the 5D?

Beautiful color. But I won't choose the old 5D for weddings.

Without Canon 5D III, I wouldn't switch to Canon.

The auto-focus of 5DII is just not good compared to D700. Auto-focus of 5D could be worse than 5DII, so that I won't trust it for the ceremony entrance and reception shots.

Jun 02, 2013 at 05:06 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Who still chooses the 5D?

form wrote:
One thing to note about the 5d...if anyone has seen the noise charts posted in one of my threads by someone the other day...it actually shows the 5d's noise curve in the low ISOs to be closer to the Nikon cameras, starting very low at low ISO.

The 5D Classic has lower read noise than the 5D3:

http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/RN_ADU.htm#EOS%205D_12,EOS%205D%20Mark%20III_14

Jun 02, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Who still chooses the 5D?

My primary cam is a 5DII, but I have two 5Dc that my 2nd shooter uses. Love those cams!

Jun 02, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Who still chooses the 5D?

I've owned a lot of cameras and for digital files the 5Dc is still as good as it gets in nice light IMO.

Jun 03, 2013 at 12:24 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Who still chooses the 5D?

The 5D body is very dated and limiting by today's standards, but it still produces nice files. Unless you are particularly hard pressed for money, it doesn't make a lot of sense to use this body over a 5DII or 5DIII though.

Jun 03, 2013 at 07:59 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Who still chooses the 5D?

I sold both of original 5d's but i agree that in adequate light, the files were as nice (or nicer) than my 5d2 or 5d3.

Jun 03, 2013 at 11:41 AM
samwise
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Who still chooses the 5D?

Thanks for the replies! I am glad to see I am still not the only one going back to the old faithful

Jun 04, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Who still chooses the 5D?

There is nothing like shooting into the sun with an original 5D. I've never seen such beautiful, creamy files. I still shoot one, if I have time and light, I actually prefer it.

Jun 04, 2013 at 09:22 PM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Who still chooses the 5D?

Nice photo! I'm now tempted to grab a used 5Dc as a third body for use with engagement shoots or something other.

Jun 04, 2013 at 09:39 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Who still chooses the 5D?

joosay wrote:
I'm now tempted to grab a used 5Dc as a third body for use with engagement shoots

Have you ever used a 5D Classic? What do you use now?

Jun 05, 2013 at 01:19 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Who still chooses the 5D?

Brian Virts wrote:
There is nothing like shooting into the sun with an original 5D. I've never seen such beautiful, creamy files. I still shoot one, if I have time and light, I actually prefer it.

I tend to agree with this. Particularly used with the canon 17-40 lens. You can literally shoot directly into the sun with no flare. (Be sure to take off your UV filter).

Jun 05, 2013 at 06:15 AM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Who still chooses the 5D?

D. Diggler wrote:
Have you ever used a 5D Classic? What do you use now?

I had one for a short time. During that time I had the 5D2 and the 5DC. I sold it all when I replaced it with the 5D3 which is what I shoot with now. Should I still get it? I was thinking I can also use it if I wanted to bring a camera to a trip but not bring out the 5D3.

Jun 05, 2013 at 10:51 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.