New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Refurb D800E issues

rbromfield
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Refurb D800E issues

I want to share my thoughts and experiences on a recent D800E refurb I purchased from the Nikon Store.

May 28 I received the D800E refurb I purchased from the Nikon store for $2450. I thought that was steal compared to a new D800E and the regular refurb price. After the initial new camera excitement wore off and I updated the firmware. I decided to take some test shots using my shutter release cable. I remove the rubber from the 10 pin connector port and guess what? It came broken, the connect was sunken in and pressed to one side. At this point I was a bit shocked that it came from Nikon like that. Huge issue since I use the connector for my wired remote.

Problem number two; I decided to take some flash photos by triggering using CLS. Typically I have used channel 3 and group A. Camera flash goes off but the SB900 doesn't. I try a few times and then I try my D700 and sure it enough it works fine. I'm scratching my head now at what is going on? When I change the channel the D800E works on 1, 2 and 4 but not 3. Fiddling around with the camera I found that channel 3 works only when the lens is wide open. Stop it down by even 1/3 of a stop and it doesn't trigger the flash anymore. Not a huge issue as the other channels work and I use radio triggers.

Problem number three. Every once in a while the camera would lock up for about 5 seconds. It seems to be a SD card issue, although the card worked fine in my RX100. It's a SanDisk 32GB SDXC card. Moderate annoyance.

Problem number four. The LCD has a green tint to it. Moderate annoyance.

Problem number five. The leftmost focus points back focus compared to the center and right side. Big issue for me.

Now I have contacted Nikon quite a few a times already; they have the issues documented and they are giving me two options at the moment:
    1) Send it in under warranty repair and I pay the shipping. I don't believe I should pay the shipping on something I have had for less than one week. The biggest concern for me is that Nikon will not fix all the issues or make them worse. Additionally I do not want to deal with the back and forth with Nikon trying to get the issues resolved with the time lost and the cost of shipping.

2) Return the camera for a refund and rebuy it. I don't want to do this either since I would have to rebuy it at the $2700 refurb or $3300 new price point. According to costumer support I can't get it exchanged only refunded.

I have requested my issue be escalated to Nikon corporate since May 29th but haven't heard a thing from them and basic costumer service has their hands tied because of the cost of the camera. The 14 day return period deadline is ticking....

Kind of annoyed at not using the D800E due to not knowing what the outcome will be with Nikon.

What to do?

Jun 01, 2013 at 11:55 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Refurb D800E issues

For me...too many issues to be satisfied with that camera...I'd return it for a refund and perhaps start looking for a used model that you can get with a receipt so you can still get warranty service. That one just sounds like a time bomb.

Jun 02, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1slowg35
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Refurb D800E issues

I'd definitely return it and get a full refund.

Jun 02, 2013 at 02:01 AM
drlouis

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Refurb D800E issues

rbromfield wroteProblem number five. The leftmost focus points back focus compared to the center and right side. Big issue for me.

I've had a D800 refurb purchased from Adorama for about 2 weeks now and I have this issue too. I've been wondering if someplace like APS is able to handle warranty work like this? I mostly work during business hours so I haven't called them yet. Does anyone know? Also, if this is an option, are they better at fixing these problems than it sounds like Nikon is?

Jun 02, 2013 at 02:12 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Refurb D800E issues

Return it, save the money, and look for a local used unit. That way you can examine it thoroughly before buying. Isn't KEH somewhere near your area? With a store, you can examine first, buy, and still have a return/refund period.

Jun 02, 2013 at 02:58 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Refurb D800E issues

Keith B. wrote:
Return it, save the money, and look for a local used unit. That way you can examine it thoroughly before buying. Isn't KEH somewhere near your area? With a store, you can examine first, buy, and still have a return/refund period.

+1

Too many issues. I know what it's like, you really want to keep it but .....

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:06 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Refurb D800E issues

To be perfectly honest, a refurbished unit from Nikon should be perfect.
This is really weird to me.

I've bough a few refurbished Nikon cameras and lenses from Adorama and Cameta Camera and they were perfect.

Are you saying they won't give you a refund for a broken product, only exchange? Or, not even an exchange but you have to re buy for more money?

Jun 02, 2013 at 08:29 AM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Refurb D800E issues

rbromfield wrote:
I want to share my thoughts and experiences on a recent D800E refurb I purchased from the Nikon Store.

May 28 I received the D800E refurb I purchased from the Nikon store for $2450. I thought that was steal compared to a new D800E and the regular refurb price. After the initial new camera excitement wore off and I updated the firmware. I decided to take some test shots using my shutter release cable. I remove the rubber from the 10 pin connector port and guess what? It came broken, the connect was sunken in and pressed to one side. At
...Show more

Sounds like this camera was not refurb'ed at all. If it was me, I'd return it and get a refund. Then buy a brand new one.

Jun 02, 2013 at 08:37 AM
campyone
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Refurb D800E issues

Keith B. wrote:

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that KEH no longer maintains a store that customers can walk into and inspect items before they buy. I thought I read somewhere that they only sell on line now.

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:05 AM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Refurb D800E issues

1. Return it for full refund. status of camera is unacceptable.

2. Buy something else from someone else. It's that simple. If you want a D800, either buy new from a reputable dealer or used AFTER personally inspecting and checking the unit.

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:31 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Refurb D800E issues

I'm with the rest of the gang. Return it. I'd request an answer on the opportunity to purchase a replacement unit at the price you paid by a specific date (obviously to ensure you don't miss your return window), but if that isn't going to happen, just send it back. I wouldn't want to own a camera that came refurbed in that condition.

There are so many happy D800 customers that I know I'm being silly, but I've reservations about ever buying one. A good friend just got his D800 refurb Friday (also ordered directly from Nikon) and he's thrilled so far...

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:41 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Refurb D800E issues

Just because it's a refurb doesn't mean it's been fixed or repaired. It could easily be a return that the store can no longer sell as new.

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:04 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Refurb D800E issues

true, I guess a shutter count read would have determined if it was a damaged box/open box return rather than a returned defective product that never got refurbished to a as new state.

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:20 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Refurb D800E issues

Nathan Padgett wrote:
Just because it's a refurb doesn't mean it's been fixed or repaired. It could easily be a return that the store can no longer sell as new.

That is not my understanding at all.

I believe to state that it is refurbished, they are legally supposed to re-certify it to pass factory standards for function, otherwise it is sold as used, damaged, etc. Even open-box returns must be evaluated and tested. I work in the PC industry, and that is definitely the standard our stuff is held to. In fact, they do more testing than off the line because they have to check for things the customer might have done to it.

It is pretty clear that wasn't done in this case - my guess is some sort of sorting/handling error. It sucks, but stuff happens. The more important thing is how they deal with it - sounds like they are falling down on that score, too (he should be allowed to swap or get another for the same price IMHO).

Jun 02, 2013 at 02:14 PM
Slug69
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Refurb D800E issues

This is the first bad refurbished story I have heard. Return it and demand refund.

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:45 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Refurb D800E issues

I wonder why Nikon sold it for $250 less then their normal refurb price for that body

Jun 02, 2013 at 04:07 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Refurb D800E issues

From this link: https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13651/~/what-is-a-%22factory-refurbished%22-camera%3F

What is a "factory refurbished" camera?
Answer ID
| Published 07/06/2005 01:51 PM | Updated 04/11/2013 10:39 PM
What is a "factory refurbished" Nikon Camera?

I saw on a web site a dealer selling "factory refurbished" Nikon cameras. What are these?

Nikon occasionally offers reconditioned products either directly to customers or through dealers. These products have been carefully reconditioned by Nikon Inc. to meet all factory specifications. Refurbished products may have signs of previous use (minor body wear or other cosmetic indications) but contain all original cables, batteries, manuals and other accessories and are protected by a 90-day limited warranty.

A reconditioned products offer truly exceptional value and can be an excellent way for you to begin or expand your Nikon imaging system. The assortment of reconditioned products changes, so it's a good idea to visit the Nikon Store often to see what's new and what just might be the next addition to your system.

Special note - Unless specifically stated otherwise, Nikon reconditioned products are not eligible for Nikon consumer rebate offers that may be in effect.

----------------------------------
Maybe something odd happened with inventory control and a broken one was mixed up with a new one.

Jun 02, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Refurb D800E issues

Maybe you got the camera I sent back four times before they finally replaced it. Mine had trouble with CLS, and sometimes with on camera flash, and Nikon couldn't fix it.

Jun 02, 2013 at 05:01 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Refurb D800E issues

Slug69 wrote:
This is the first bad refurbished story I have heard. Return it and demand refund.

+1

It's pretty much a no-brainer - return it for a refund.

Jun 02, 2013 at 05:19 PM
rbromfield
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Refurb D800E issues

Keith B. wrote:

KEH is right around the corner from me. Unfortunately they do not have a store front for me to come and look at cameras. Additionally it seems that whatever route I take from here other than hopefully getting the camera replaced will cost me several hundred dollars more.

ckcarr wrote:
To be perfectly honest, a refurbished unit from Nikon should be perfect.
This is really weird to me.

I've bough a few refurbished Nikon cameras and lenses from Adorama and Cameta Camera and they were perfect.

Are you saying they won't give you a refund for a broken product, only exchange? Or, not even an exchange but you have to re buy for more money?

At the moment only a refund and not an exchange. Rebuying the camera whether new, used or refurbished will cost me several hundred dollars more than what I bought this one for.

MikeW wrote:
true, I guess a shutter count read would have determined if it was a damaged box/open box return rather than a returned defective product that never got refurbished to a as new state.

The camera camera with 156 actuations. Probably the previous owner got the camera with broken 10 pin connector or broke it themselves and promptly returned.

M635_Guy wrote:
It is pretty clear that wasn't done in this case - my guess is some sort of sorting/handling error. It sucks, but stuff happens. The more important thing is how they deal with it - sounds like they are falling down on that score, too (he should be allowed to swap or get another for the same price IMHO).

That's exactly what I want, either choice.

rd4tile wrote:
I wonder why Nikon sold it for $250 less then their normal refurb price for that body

Nikon was having a 10% off everything in the refurb store.

Jun 02, 2013 at 07:09 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.