p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Creation in the Colockum

coooool

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:36 AM
GeoffreySchmid
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Creation in the Colockum

kevindar wrote:
Really beautiful. interested in knowing what equipment you used, and how you balanced the exposure and dof.

Thanks, Kevin.

Nothing groundbreaking in the equipment department. I'm pretty old skool as it goes. Canon 5D3, 17-40mm, 3 stop hard-step GND. Gets me into the ballpark right away.

To render the sun star and get max dof I simply stopped down (diffraction be damned I say). I bracketed for focus, but didn't end up resorting to any focus blending as I was lucky enough to capture a few acceptably sharp (for me anyway) blooms in the foreground when the light was best.

Triple-processed in RAW, manually blended. Mountain grown. Good to the last drop.

Jun 05, 2013 at 01:54 PM
GeoffreySchmid
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Creation in the Colockum

zeelichsheng wrote:
Will a Jeep Wrangler sport with stock tires and no front- and rear- locks do? How long is the route?

Thanks in advance,
Yu

Stock tires are probably not as important as their condition. Don't know what your rig comes with. Something close to an A/T is advised. Plenty of tread is wise to grip the rock. We actually dropped the tire pressure a few pounds and were pleased with how that went (I know, it's against the manufacturer recommendation, but we weren't highway driving). Non-locking? Not sure about that - only ever used a basic, old-style 4WD. Could be a problem in some of the rougher terrain there. We used lo-ratio, old fashioned 4WD most of the time, mostly low gear at a crawling but steady pace. The main route is not so bad, hi-ratio is okay for much of it when it's dry, and it's about 40 miles long, but the scenery is not the best from it. It gets a lot rougher on the Wenatchee (north) end. The area is riddled with lots of junctions and side roads that are really rough, ungraded narrow tracks (and that's of course, where I found the best scenery). My friend has explored these roads off and on for 40 years and has the area almost completely mapped out. We were able to get to a great location he knew in just a few hours that I never could have found on my own (or with my limited 4-bying skills).

If it's rainy, the place turns into a giant mud bog, if you like that kind of fun. I don't. And the flowers are a crapshoot. They peak at different times and in different places every year, of course.

BTW, we were using a '96 4Runner with new Yokohama A/Ts (like less expensive Bridgestones) and it did great. I will not hesitate to take my Xterra next. Probably safest to have two rigs (or spare axles) in case one breaks down. I really don't think anything could pull you out of some of those roads.

Jun 05, 2013 at 02:11 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Creation in the Colockum

Geoffrey, you are fantastic at using the gnd, as I do not see the transition point, and its not obvious. I am also impressed you got such good dof, as the flowers in the foreground looke like they are about a foot away. Just wonderful images. thanks for sharing the technical details.

Jun 05, 2013 at 04:01 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Creation in the Colockum

Wow, Geoff - it looks like the trip was well worth the effort!

Jun 05, 2013 at 04:43 PM
zeelichsheng
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Creation in the Colockum

GeoffreySchmid wrote:
Stock tires are probably not as important as their condition. Don't know what your rig comes with. Something close to an A/T is advised. Plenty of tread is wise to grip the rock. We actually dropped the tire pressure a few pounds and were pleased with how that went (I know, it's against the manufacturer recommendation, but we weren't highway driving). Non-locking? Not sure about that - only ever used a basic, old-style 4WD. Could be a problem in some of the rougher terrain there. We used lo-ratio, old fashioned 4WD most of the time, mostly low gear at a
...Show more

Thanks for the detailed info. This really helps a lot. I agree that the tire condition may be more important. The stock tires on my Wrangler are Goodyear A/T which still have good tread on them. I would consider to scout that area maybe next year when weather is dry and clear.

Do you have any GPS track or map of that area?

Thanks,
Yu

Jun 05, 2013 at 06:11 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Creation in the Colockum

#1 for me....but thanks for sharing all of them!

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:22 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Creation in the Colockum

Lovely set and #1 alone not only takes the prize but justifies the trip. That shot is super light, subject and composition.

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:27 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Creation in the Colockum

Beautiful shots, Geoff. After too many continuous years of drought eliminating our spring blooms, your photos make us Southern Californians think that living in the land of endless gray rain may not be so bad after all. (Actually, I say this as an ex-Oregonian.) I pick no favorites because I like them as a set. (Is that Palouse in some of the distant backgrounds?)
---John

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:43 PM
nikon65
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Creation in the Colockum

These are excellent !!!!

Todd

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:14 PM
GeoffreySchmid
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Creation in the Colockum

zeelichsheng wrote:
Thanks for the detailed info. This really helps a lot. I agree that the tire condition may be more important. The stock tires on my Wrangler are Goodyear A/T which still have good tread on them. I would consider to scout that area maybe next year when weather is dry and clear.

Do you have any GPS track or map of that area?

Thanks,
Yu

Sorry, no I don't. There are some general maps available on the internet, but I relied on my friend for navigation.

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:52 PM
GeoffreySchmid
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Creation in the Colockum

jdc562 wrote:
Beautiful shots, Geoff. After too many continuous years of drought eliminating our spring blooms, your photos make us Southern Californians think that living in the land of endless gray rain may not be so bad after all. (Actually, I say this as an ex-Oregonian.) I pick no favorites because I like them as a set. (Is that Palouse in some of the distant backgrounds?)
---John

No, the Palouse is another hour or two east of here. What you see in the background of the first shot is the Columbia River gorge north of Vantage, the Crescent Bar area. The last shot is across the river to the east near the town of Quincy.

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:54 PM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Creation in the Colockum

Stunning set!!
The first two are inasane.

Ute

Jun 06, 2013 at 02:45 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Creation in the Colockum

Geoff,
What an amazing set! All strong images on their own!
Fred

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:22 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Creation in the Colockum

These are SWEET! As a future resident of your state (as of 1 July) and a fan of the road less travelled, I am especially intrigued by these spots you discovered. I spend as much time as I can on 4WD roads here in CO, so this sounds right up my ally. Well done!
Paul

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:50 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Creation in the Colockum

Such vivid colors of the flowers!
They look floating in the air, or better yet..Heaven!
Voted!

Jun 06, 2013 at 08:15 PM
GeoffreySchmid
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Creation in the Colockum

kevindar wrote:
Geoffrey, you are fantastic at using the gnd, as I do not see the transition point, and its not obvious. I am also impressed you got such good dof, as the flowers in the foreground looke like they are about a foot away. Just wonderful images. thanks for sharing the technical details.

You touch on a point that I can't help but elaborate on. I feel that use of the GND is becoming a lost technique in this age of bracketing for exposure and blending in PP, but there's something about it that I like - it simply looks different, and brings to mind elements of classic images of Rowell, Muench, etc, that I like. Not to say I'm a master, but I thought I'd go into more detail, and I'll use the first image as an example. Many here will see the transition and otherwise dislike the results. That's cool.

First, you have to pick the right one for the job. Judge the exposure difference. This image called for a relatively strong filter (3 stops here - I have a reverse grad but it usually renders the foreground too light for me), and the fairly unbroken line with sun at the horizon presented for use of a hard grad. (Many nowadays will simply handhold a filter in front of the lens and wave it around to blur the gradation, and proclaim that PP would have been better.) I always use a holder and preview a lot to find the best placement. I carefully placed the transition line at an angle to follow the curve of the most prominent hill. This is not easy facing into the sun, but the DOF preview function of your camera will serve well. A little up, a little down, makes a huge difference.

In PP I dodge the highlights and upper mids in the transition area with luminosity masks (in this case the right third of the image was the most important). This is mostly tedious and trial and error for me - the wrong move will create haloes and other unnatural-looking effects. Sometimes aggressively dodging a single high-lit area that extends somewhat through the transition will do the trick (though if it extends enough, you should have used the soft-edge grad).

One of the problems with using a grad is that your foreground might be relatively lighter than the sky, even following the rules, which looks unnatural in most cases and is a pet peeve of mine. This said, I make that mistake all the time, unfortunately. The object is to balance out the exposure, but often you want to make it better than what the eye/brain remembers!

BTW, the blossoms in the FG were but a foot away.

Regards,

Geoff

Jun 07, 2013 at 07:51 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.