New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · The (other) zoom with effective 400mm on the long end

AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The (other) zoom with effective 400mm on the long end

I know the 200-400mm f/4.0 IS with the built-in TC just became available and it got the attention of a lot of folks and understandably so. Ironically, I received a used zoom lens yesterday that also has an effective focal length of 400mm on the long end. It is the lowly EF-S 55-250mm lens I bought for my wife on the B&S board.

It started out as my buying a Rebel SL-1 plus a lens kit. My intention was to use it as a second camera and as a lightweight backup. However, it is lightweight and small enough for my wife to develop a liking for the camera. One thing led to the other, when I saw an EF-S 55-250mm for sale at a good price, I jumped on it for her. I just finished the test drive of the lens and I am impressed. No, it is not comparable to my 400mm f/2.8 IS Mark II in terms of absolute IQ performance but for the cost, it really performs splendidly. Did I mention that it is small and lightweight, especially combined with the SL-1 ? The only thing I don't like is the rotating front lens while focusing and when mounting/dismounting the lens hood. Oh, well what can I ask for a $60 lens ?

Check out one of the test shots and its crops of that combo at wide open. Not too shabby, huh?

© AGeoJO 2013

Full image at wide open

© AGeoJO 2013

Center crop

© AGeoJO 2013

Lower left hand corner crop

Jun 01, 2013 at 11:09 PM
gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The (other) zoom with effective 400mm on the long end

I looked at the pictures first and saw that they were shot with and SLR1 and then read the first sentence of the post and was hoping that you would mount the 200-400 on the SLR1 and post a picture.

Jun 02, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The (other) zoom with effective 400mm on the long end

That looks pretty impressive. Much better than I would have expected from looking at the Digital Pictures testing of it. At 1 3/4 lbs for the combo that would be a joy to carry around.

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:42 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The (other) zoom with effective 400mm on the long end

I bought one of these a while back for a friend and before giving it to him did a few tests and was similarly impressed.

It's not really a question of how well it compares to the 200-400, but perhaps a much broader one of: how much more worthwhile are Canon's L series lenses? Diminishing returns, indeed.

Jun 02, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The (other) zoom with effective 400mm on the long end

Joshua -- Thanks an amazing deal! Congrats.

Based on my sole experience, owning this lens for a T2i, I'd say you got an exceptional copy. Not that mine was bad -- I paid the full price of $200 new from B&H, and was very satisfied with it. Mine was sharp in the center, but soft on the edges wide open to about f/8. Nothing shocking, and I used it for video that wasn't critical. My front lens barrel wobbled around, especially noticeable when extended. Perhaps I should have sent it in to Canon, but it didn't seem like a big deal.

That's a great combo for your wife! Enjoy!

Jun 02, 2013 at 12:17 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The (other) zoom with effective 400mm on the long end

Thanks for your comments, guys. I didn't expect too much out of that lens and that's why I was pleasantly surprised with the results. My wife and I took more shots of our grandkids and we are pleased with the images that tiny combo generates; the kit STM lens is more than decent, too, BTW.

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:47 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The (other) zoom with effective 400mm on the long end

This afternoon my wife has my 70-300L on her SL1 taking shots of our daughter playing outside (she asked for the lightest and smallest "good" zoom lens)...and not only does it look silly on the tiny SL1 but I find it hard to handle. The 55-250mm would make more sense from a convenience standpoint, not to mention probably, in some conditions, challenge the IQ of the 70-300L for anyone not pixel peeping.

Love it when inexpensive lenses punch above their fiscal weight and challenge the laws of diminishing returns.

Jun 02, 2013 at 04:01 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The (other) zoom with effective 400mm on the long end

When I had a 7D I was also very impressed with this lens. Now FF so I use the Tamron 70-300 which I find is also an ecxcellent buy.

Jun 02, 2013 at 05:08 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The (other) zoom with effective 400mm on the long end

A friend of mine recently gave me this lens to test. He said it was broken and could not get any sharp images on his 7D. He is relatively new to photography so I told him to show me how he was taking the picture.

He immediately turned on live view and tried to take a picture

Personally, I am totally blown away what this lens can do. I tried it for the first time today on his and my 7D. At 250mm, f5.6 is a tad soft, but f6.3 and above is great!

example @ 250 and f8

http://lowa2.smugmug.com/Other/Shorebirds/i-XPXTFdn/0/XL/Shorebirds-4-XL.jpg

Jun 02, 2013 at 08:32 PM
Tom Kelley
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The (other) zoom with effective 400mm on the long end

lowa2 wrote:
A friend of mine recently gave me this lens to test. He said it was broken and could not get any sharp images on his 7D. He is relatively new to photography so I told him to show me how he was taking the picture.

He immediately turned on live view and tried to take a picture

Personally, I am totally blown away what this lens can do. I tried it for the first time today on his and my 7D. At 250mm, f5.6 is a tad soft, but f6.3 and above is great!

example @ 250
...Show more
I had a really good copy and sold it to upgrade to the 70-300 IS, not the 'L' model. Sometimes I wonder if I 'upgraded.'

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:20 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The (other) zoom with effective 400mm on the long end

Tom Kelley wrote:
I had a really good copy and sold it to upgrade to the 70-300 IS, not the 'L' model. Sometimes I wonder if I 'upgraded.'

I don't know if I'll give it back to him It's so light and so cheap!

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:26 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The (other) zoom with effective 400mm on the long end

I've already been wanting an SL1 for its weight. I figured I'd use it with the 70-200 I already own. You guys are not helping

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:32 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The (other) zoom with effective 400mm on the long end

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I've already been wanting an SL1 for its weight. I figured I'd use it with the 70-200 I already own. You guys are not helping

I'm used to a 1D and 500/4 + 1.4x. The 7D and this thing I just throw around

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:35 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The (other) zoom with effective 400mm on the long end

Jeff Nolten wrote:

Don't let your wife borrow it .

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.