New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Need advice

Pieria

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need advice

I am about to buy a used 1dmk iin from a fellow fm er, it is my first canon body that I ever buy, I have absolutely no experience with the canon system at all, I own nikon d4 and 400 2.8 lens and I shoot
mostly action and sports thus the reason I picked the 1dmk iin as my first canon body. I also have a 19 month old daughter, that I love to take candid and portrait photos. Now my question is I want to buy a lens for my 1dmk iin, and it got down to two lenses. 135 f2 or 70-200 is ver ii. What would you recommend ? I have read amazing reviews about both lenses and I am lost as far as what to buy.

Jun 01, 2013 at 09:11 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need advice

The 1D mk IIN is a great body but it's relatively old technology compared to the D4. It's still great to use, very quick and responsive, but the high ISO performance isn't as clean as the current generation, however programs like LightRoom have pretty good noise reduction tools

RE lenses - it's hard to go wrong with either of those, they are both beautiful lenses, the 135mm is smaller, lighter and less obtrusive for candid shots but the 70-200mm is unequalled as a zoom and includes IS. The zoom costs more.

Personally I'd want something wider as well - it's a 1.3x crop body so you would need some room to be able to use either of those lenses - consider the 35mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8 as well

Jun 01, 2013 at 09:31 PM
Pieria

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need advice

Thanks for the response, that is great suggestion

Jun 01, 2013 at 09:50 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need advice

I' just going to second scottam10's response, but I want to ask, why invest in two systems instead of just having an all Nikon or all Canon system? Are you planning to switch over slowly?

Jun 02, 2013 at 12:01 AM
mt-m
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need advice

I'll second the 85mm suggestion. On the 1.3x crop camera like the 1D MkIIn I found that 135 f/2, while certainly an amazing lens, required quite some distance when shooting my kids when they were toddlers. I replaced it with the 85mm f/1.2 and couldn't be happier. I could take pictures of the kids without having to step too far back, so I could still catch them if they stumbled or grab them if they took off

Canon has two versions of 85mm - the more expensive 85mm f/1.2 and the less expensive, smaller, lighter and faster focusing 85mm f/1.8.

For my use, which is mostly my kids' activities, I find that 70-200 2.8 IS and 85mm f/1.2 pretty much cover the longer end.

Jun 02, 2013 at 07:30 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need advice

Here's some references on the 1DII AF and exposure system,

Getting the most from your EOS 1-Series camera
www.jcolwell.ca/ftp/EOS_Digital-Getting-the-most.pdf
[was http://www.usa.canon.com/content/Handling/EOS_Digital.pdf ]

Sports Illustrated Photo http://www.siphoto.com/?canon1DM2.inc

You should keep in mind that the 1DII and 1DIIN have relatively strong anti-alias (AA) filters, and so their images need more sharpening than most, if not all, other Canon DSLR. I think I generally used unsharp mask settings of 300%, radius 1, threshold 0, or something like that. If you use 'normal' USM, you'll be disappointed. If you use appropriate sharpening, you'll love it.

I recommend you get the 70-200/2.8L IS II. It's awesome. I also have the 135/2L. The only reason I keep the 135L is that it's my only small AF telephoto lens with performance good enough to be a backup to the Mk II zoom.

Jun 02, 2013 at 07:44 AM
Pieria

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need advice

I want to thank you for all your help and information. I decided to go with the 135 for now and later buy the 70 200 is ii which is an awesome lens also. I am very excited to try my new combo and I will post some pics as soon as I can.

Jun 02, 2013 at 02:25 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need advice

1D2series is the most cleanest shadow noise at low (100-200) iso. If you don't need hi-sio and resolution then it's a pro bargain body. Frame rate, AF and IQ are pretty close to the top model.

Jun 02, 2013 at 02:44 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need advice

Just a heads up based on my own experience, buying lenses with thin depth of field and using them on older Canon bodies without micro-adjust, resulted in a trip to Canon for calibration about half the time. YMMV.

Jun 02, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need advice

jcolwell wrote:
You should keep in mind that the 1DII and 1DIIN have relatively strong anti-alias (AA) filters, and so their images need more sharpening than most,.

jim is right but i recall the 1d2n didn't need nearly as much sharpening.

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:15 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need advice

Grantland wrote:
jim is right but i recall the 1d2n didn't need nearly as much sharpening.

the 1d2n was one of my favorite bodies. slap a 400 f/2.8 on it for summer sports and off you go.

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:16 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need advice

Since we are doing tips, I'll give on from my 1D II. I noticed that on my 1D II and doing the 30s exposure at various ISO test, I noticed that my 1D II is better at ISO 200 than anything else.

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:19 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need advice

I personally think the IIN was a horrible camera. If you can spring for a IIs then that would be a big jump If I had to make a choice between either of those lenses, it would be the 70-200 IS, its more flexible and it focusses way quicker. For images of your daughter, you are going to run out of room with a 135 on a crop body.

Jun 02, 2013 at 05:59 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.