Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

Got a Lenscoat set for my Nikon 600mm f4 AIS from them - it's listed as one model they support, but the rear piece is not cut correctly for the carry strap hooks, and it is also a little too long. In fact, I'd like to split that last section so I can actually set the aperture without having to peel back the lenscoat piece there.

Can I just take a knife or scissors to that stuff, or will it come apart unless cut with really sharp tools? I emailed them to possibly get a properly cut piece, but no response in 2 days, nor is their online support ever online. Not really impressed given they charge serious coin for a few strips of neoprene that is nowhere as exact fitting as all those online reviews suggest, plus when I extend my hood, I have a 2" area that has no lenscoat on it. Not sure what they meant when they say that I can use the Velcro strap for when the hood is extended - if so, then they didn't include the part that has to be on the hood itself, extended or not.

Jun 02, 2013 at 12:19 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

Yeah, you can cut it w/no problems...but agree you shouldn't have to. I had an issue with a set
for a 200 f2. Mentioned on FM that the first one only lasted 2 yrs (sun exposure ate it up) and that
the new set was ill fitting at the base. Customer service/support was non-existant and some member
actually sent me the proper piece! I lost the envelope with his addy and was unable to properly thank
him...perhaps he's still around and will see this thread and come to the rescue. Kills me to lay out this
kind of coin for such a flimsy/short lived product (for daily driver gear) They should offer a "send in the
old/cracked set and we'll replace it once" coupon. GL

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:12 AM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

Or you can do what I do. Make your own.

Al

ps. No problem cutting neoprene. If you do make a mistake, contact cement works great as a repair.

Jun 02, 2013 at 12:48 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

kbarrera wrote:
Or you can do what I do. Make your own.

Al

ps. No problem cutting neoprene. If you do make a mistake, contact cement works great as a repair.

I feel like that is what I should do - the email reply came today, and basically they said they probably used a different version of the lens as template, and that I can send mine to them for a custom job at extra cost. Maybe they use too much superglue while making these, because there's no way I will pay them extra. Some of the cuts aren't even straight, so even if they had used the proper lens template, I'd still be disappointed in how amateur the whole thing really looks.

I responded to their email asking again why they just can't make the proper piece with the measurements and photos I supplied (heck, that way they can add to their product line), plus why there's no piece for the built-in hood (they boast about a Velcro part you can use to cover up the part that is exposed once you extend the hood, but then you have to remove the piece from the hood itself... duh). We'll see what they say.

I know hot glue is a great neoprene patch material - used it a few times on bicycle rain booties that tore at the stitching - works like a charm and even with pretty aggressive pulling when putting these on, the patches have never failed, while the original stitching tore.

Maybe time to search ebay for proper digi-camo neoprene...

Jun 02, 2013 at 06:32 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

First try Rockywoods, Seattle fabrics or Google neoprene camo. Hot melt glue is not long lasting or strong enough. I even tried my commercial hot melt urethane glue gun. The best method is Formica Brand, Wellwood or similar contact cement.
It's simple. Measure and cut. Then coat both edges with two coats contact cement. Let dry to the touch. Then join both edges. Be careful. Once you join both edges they will not come apart. I suggest one or two trial runs. After that you'll be a pro. You won't need Lenscoat or their bad customer service again and you'll do it your way.

Good Luck

Al

Jun 02, 2013 at 07:49 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

great info - will find the right glue. Before reading your post, I already found the source for the digital camo neoprene - 24x48" should cover my lenses, tripod legs and more.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/neoprene.html

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:01 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

Forgot to mention something. Go on UTube. There's a video showing how Lenscoat made a cover for the Canon 1200. It will really help when it comes to technique and methodology.
Before you know it, you'll be wearing camo underwear.

Seriously. I have made covers for friends and relatives. I enjoy doing it. Anything Lenscoat can make, I can replicate.

Al

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:10 PM
mpoole
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

which thickness is recommended?

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:36 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

I've used both 3mm and 4 mm. The 4mm felt more cushioned.

Al

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:59 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

The lenscoat stuff I have here is 2mm, and the rear piece at the aperture where you would want some slippage to allow changing of f-stop is the sticky rubbery inside material, while all other pieces are nylon on both sides. Not sure why they choose the type the way they do, but I guess they don't want the rear part to slide off when no camera is attached.

Jun 02, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

Personally the 3mm is more playable and movable. I've learned by trial and error that a snug fit is better. On my big lenses I use a double sided tape. It's actually golf grip tape which I prefer because it's very thin. When it came time to sell a lens the tape came right off and cleaned up very easily.

I found that once the cover was complete, I did not have to constantly readjust it.

Al

Jun 02, 2013 at 11:15 PM
svopen
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

I made my own too with 3mm neoprene from Rockywoods. I also got the cement that they recommended on their site. I learned the same way that snug is better. If they aren't snug enough, just cut some material out along the seam and re-glue.

The first few pieces I glued and sewed but once I saw how strong the glue was, I didn't bother with the sewing.

Jun 03, 2013 at 02:22 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

svopen wrote:
I made my own too with 3mm neoprene from Rockywoods. I also got the cement that they recommended on their site. I learned the same way that snug is better. If they aren't snug enough, just cut some material out along the seam and re-glue.

The first few pieces I glued and sewed but once I saw how strong the glue was, I didn't bother with the sewing.

I'm buying material for most of my lenses today. May even make a camera cover out of it, since both Chinese neorpene camera covers I got from ebay are too small - no idea what camera bodies they used for templates, but a D600 with or without motor is probably only sold in 2/3rd scale over there.

The glue is actually liquid neorpene, so I guess it's like welding. Have to do a little testing first, but based on all this information here, I am off to sniff some glue

Jun 03, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Jason_Brook
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

I made my own too, but not from neoprene. It's a heavy duck fabric, some real thin sew-able plastic stuff, 1/8" foam, and anti-slip fabric that's coated in rubber dots.

Another Lenscoat cheat. The raincover. I bought a FroggTogg jacket and pants, didn't need the pants, so I cut it off and turned the legs into (2) rain covers. The ankles even have a velcro strap for tightening.

Jun 03, 2013 at 05:49 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

Like I said! " Who needs Lenscoat"

Al

Jun 03, 2013 at 08:52 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

This product is; cheap, pretty heavy, easy to work with, leaves no residue when removed. $60 worth will do several long lenses, 2 tripods, and a gimbal head. It is an automotive grade 3M product. http://www.metrorestyling.com/Oracal-s/20302.htm

3D Snow Camo

Jun 07, 2013 at 01:40 PM
godfather
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

Andrew J wrote:
This product is; cheap, pretty heavy, easy to work with, leaves no residue when removed. $60 worth will do several long lenses, 2 tripods, and a gimbal head. It is an automotive grade 3M product.

Andrew, how does it do on curved surfaces (like when the lens tapers down in diameter)? Have you tried to pull any off a delicate surface?

Jun 07, 2013 at 04:12 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

It has some give so it can be stretched slightly. I have removed it from half a dozen items with no problems. The edges never curl up since over time it almost welds to itself at any seams. One of the most popular first uses might have been ATVs.
This is the HD Snow pattern I really like: http://www.metrorestyling.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=snow
I see you can get samples for a buck or two: http://www.metrorestyling.com/category-s/1230.htm

Jun 07, 2013 at 04:52 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

I had never even looked into a LensCoat before, but I received one when I purchased a used Nikon 200-400mm f/4. Seemed like a nice enough idea, but felt very cheaply made - thin neoprene, not very precisely fit or cut, edges curling, and the plastic "windows" were cheap material. I got online to see what they cost and my jaw hit the floor.

Given the relative ease of cutting out some strips of neoprene and the fact that contact cement makes an essentially permanent bond so you don't even need equipment like a sewing machine, and I don't understand how they can get away with charging $100 for $8 worth of fabric.

Jun 07, 2013 at 05:29 PM
svopen
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Cut lenscoat yourself to make it fit?

binary visions wrote:
Given the relative ease of cutting out some strips of neoprene and the fact that contact cement makes an essentially permanent bond so you don't even need equipment like a sewing machine, and I don't understand how they can get away with charging $100 for $8 worth of fabric.

Those were my exact thoughts. My $20 DIY Lenscoat does exactly what I need it to do.

Jun 07, 2013 at 06:06 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password