New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D3s - Mysterious Artifacts

OO7MIKE
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D3s - Mysterious Artifacts

I recently purchased a used D3s. I use it mostly for high action, high ISO dance photography. Its been my best investment so far until I started looking at the Low ISO portrait files.

I keep seeing these strange artifacts that only seem to show up in the mid range to shadow range. I'm not sure what they are but I never seen this on any other camera I have used.

These artifacts do not show up on every shot, but they do show up on a significant amount of them. For 4x6 and 5x7 prints I think I'll be ok, but if my client ever wants large prints I think its going to be quite a disappointing experience for them. The artifacts get really bad when you try to sharpen the image. I need to get this issue fixed ASAP!

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Photo shown below is a screen capture at 200%

Here is the raw file for closer examination:
http://michaelbrinkerhoff.com/ms_fb/artifacts.zip

http://michaelbrinkerhoff.com/ms_fb/artifacts.jpg

Jun 01, 2013 at 02:09 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D3s - Mysterious Artifacts

Yikes, that is odd. As always, try another card. There's also a new firmware update if you haven't installed that already. Do you think that it's actually in every single shot, but only certain subjects exacerbate it more than others? You might be sending this one in for service.

As you probably noticed in your post processing, it's more subtle SOOC and gets worse as you PP. Also, noise reduction cleans it up pretty well. Here's a 200% crop with noise reduction and no other PP. You can print this any size you like and aside from sharpness at poster size, it will look just fine.

Jun 01, 2013 at 02:22 PM
OO7MIKE
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D3s - Mysterious Artifacts

Corndog: Thank you for taking a look at the file.

The issue isn't in every shot. One shot is fine and the next shot has it.

I just found these threads:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1124130
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1081346

It looks like it isn't the processing or the card being used.

One guy actually sent his in for repair and got it fixed. Another guy said it was because of interference from his cell phone. It looks like there is some info out there and I may just have to send it in for repair.

Until then, I may just try updating my firmware just incase.

Jun 01, 2013 at 02:43 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D3s - Mysterious Artifacts

Looks like wierd banding noise. Might be also interference from oustide (cellphone close by?).

Jun 01, 2013 at 02:43 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D3s - Mysterious Artifacts

I had something like this happen on a very cold morning in Yellowstone.....never happened again.....odd for sure.

Jun 01, 2013 at 03:18 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D3s - Mysterious Artifacts

That's definitely some kind of interference. I'd have it checked over.

Jun 01, 2013 at 04:08 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D3s - Mysterious Artifacts

I couldn't see what you were talking about...until I played with it in LR. Then I finally noticed on your 200% crop the artifacts at the eyes. Strangely I didn't see this while editing in LR at all and I played around with the eyes.

*Edit* I can only see it when I get close to the screen.

Just for giggles here is what I did

Jun 01, 2013 at 04:47 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D3s - Mysterious Artifacts

Of course you can "solve" any problem by running a blur on the image and showing it in 15% scale. The question is why you would want to do that. And why a bleeding edge camera should require that workaround.

This artifact should be zero in effect. That it's there means something is wrong. I'd have it checked over. Life's to short to use equipment that only works "most of the time", or equipment that is "almost as good as a healthy sample".

Jun 01, 2013 at 07:13 PM
Scott Grant
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D3s - Mysterious Artifacts

i got the same sort of artifacts with a loaner form NPS. I was happy to give the camera back!

Jun 01, 2013 at 08:16 PM
OO7MIKE
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D3s - Mysterious Artifacts

After some additional research the issue can be fixed by sending it in. Its a $600+ fix. A few other online say to just put your cell phone a few feet away from your D3s and you will be fine.

I must to have my cell phone on me while doing weddings to coordinate with my assistant and 2nd photographer so I may as well send it in for repairs.

Its good to see I'm not the only one with this issue.

Jun 02, 2013 at 07:46 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D3s - Mysterious Artifacts

You simply cannot manufacture consumer devices which are unable to be used within reasonable proximity of other everyday devices that everyone has, unless they put up warnings all over the box. If you held your cell phone right up against your camera, okay, noise might be a reasonable expectation. However, just about every single person in America has a phone in their pocket while using their camera and that is a reasonable distance. They failed to do their due diligence during qualification testing and expecting consumers to pay for that is an unreasonable expectation. I bet the $600 is mostly labor from installing 10c pieces of metal shielding which they should have installed in the first place. Tell them you'll pay for parts and you want them to eat the labor, see what they say.

Jun 02, 2013 at 08:09 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.