New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

spuntieri

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

I have a 5DMKll and a Fuji X-E1, love both. I am in the process of looking for a good ballhead to use for both. The curse of the internet, reading so many opions in all the forums soon overwhelmes and confuses one. I have read the heavier dslr would perform better on a head with a larger ball but a lighter camera doesn't. Anyone using one for all? Have been looking at Markins, RRS, A-S, Kirk, Arcatech the better rated manufacturers. The heaviest lens I presently have is a 100L and I do not think I will go much over that.
I am also going to purchase a Feisol CT-3442 for this head.
Any suggestions, please.

Jun 01, 2013 at 12:58 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

I would recommend the Markins Q3 ballhead.

Also check out the Benro fold-flat carbon-fiber travel tripods.

Jun 01, 2013 at 01:17 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

Buy a Kirk or RRS.....the USA can use the business......

Jun 01, 2013 at 03:20 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

If you're just using one ball head for both, get one that's suited to the 5D. The Markins Q10 or RRS BH40 would be my recommendations.

Jun 01, 2013 at 03:26 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

Get what your 5D needs and then add on a cheaper and lighter option for when you want to use the Fuji. One head is never going to be a nice one size fits all solution as your going to hate carrying the extra weight when traveling light with the Fuji, or you'll curse the 5D not being solid enough on a lighter head.

Something like a Kirk or Markins would be great for the 5D, and then something like a little Joby Ballhead X (which can use dovetail plates FYI) is great for mirrorless. costing under $100 and weighting only half a pound, so really easy to carry

Jun 01, 2013 at 03:50 PM
DtEW
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

I haven't had any issues using a Giottos MH1300 for both an NEX and a 6D. I guess it needs to be mentioned that my heaviest lenses are a EF 24-105 L and a Sigma 35 Art.

Jun 01, 2013 at 05:14 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

For a 5D3 with 100L? That's overkill IMO. The Q3 is good for the 5D3 with a much heavier lens than the 100L - which is very lightweight.

itai195 wrote:
If you're just using one ball head for both, get one that's suited to the 5D. The Markins Q10 or RRS BH40 would be my recommendations.

Jun 01, 2013 at 05:21 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

What possibly could be the rationale that a "lighter camera" wouldn't perform well on a larger ball head

I get that it might be "overkill" or that you might not like lugging around the extra weight. For me, the real question is if you are wanting the ball head mostly for positioning convenience / adjustability ... or are you wanting/needing the mass for vibration dampening @ mirror slap/long exposure/etc. and/or lens length/weight?

To me, the main answer is all about the 5D II usage ... after that it's mostly weight reduction and the option to get a small second head can be pretty inexpensive (put your good money, into your good head), since the dampening needs of the Fuji will be less than that of the 5D II.

Jun 01, 2013 at 05:29 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

RustyBug wrote:
What possibly could be the rationale that a "lighter camera" wouldn't perform well on a larger ball head

I get that it might be "overkill" or that you might not like lugging around the extra weight. For me, the real question is if you are wanting the ball head mostly for positioning convenience / adjustability ... or are you wanting/needing the mass for vibration dampening @ mirror slap/long exposure/etc. and/or lens length/weight?

To me, the main answer is all about the 5D II usage ... after that it's mostly weight reduction and the option to get a small second head can
...Show more

The lack of performance with a heavy ball head is that you don't bring the tripod because it weights more than your mirrorless camera bag, which in turns limits its performance.

Jun 01, 2013 at 05:40 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

I use the Emile Q3 very happily up to around 1600 grams of body/lens.

Heads are where you can put on weight like a carb-addicted porker, it is the quintessential trade-off. Lots of good choices I am sure - some resemble cubes looking for a market differentiation perhaps - but the small Markins proves itself in very tough conditions, is minimalist in design and snags on nothing.

Jun 01, 2013 at 05:42 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

bobbytan wrote:
For a 5D3 with 100L? That's overkill IMO. The Q3 is good for the 5D3 with a much heavier lens than the 100L - which is very lightweight.

I'll agree to disagree there. The Q3 is pretty wimpy, it's pretty much a small travel head, and that combo puts it at its limit IMO. The Q10 is only about 100g heavier, I think it's worth it. I completely agree that it's easy to go overboard and buy too much ballhead, but 100g extra isn't much. It's not like going all out with a BH55, which would be way more than is needed.

Jun 01, 2013 at 07:15 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

Bummer, I was going to suggest the Cullmann Magnesit 35nm, but they don't make it anymore

Probably overkill for your setup, though.

Jun 01, 2013 at 07:41 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

itai195 wrote:
I'll agree to disagree there. The Q3 is pretty wimpy, it's pretty much a small travel head, and that combo puts it at its limit IMO. The Q10 is only about 100g heavier, I think it's worth it. I completely agree that it's easy to go overboard and buy too much ballhead, but 100g extra isn't much. It's not like going all out with a BH55, which would be way more than is needed.

Yes, and I will also agree to disagree. The Q3 is not "pretty wimpy" IMO ... definitely not for use with the 5D3 with 100L which is a very light lens. I have an Arca Swiss Z1 ballhead and Gitzo Series 2 tripod but I wouldn't take/use this setup when I am shooting with my OM-D and 75 lens, as it would be overkill. If you don't mind lugging around bulky/heavy stuff, different story. I dumped my 5D2 and L-series for the OM-D strictly because of the weight and bulk. But I kept my AS Z1 and Gitzo because it's so damn good!

Jun 01, 2013 at 07:53 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

matt4626 wrote:
Buy a Kirk or RRS.....the USA can use the business......

I'm pretty sure Acratech is made in USA:

http://acratech.net/

Relatively light weight for how heavy a load it can hold. Design makes it very easy to clean the ball head.

Jun 01, 2013 at 08:22 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

+1 for the Ballhead X from Joby, it's small light, but its solid, I'd have no problem using it with my 1DIII.

Jun 01, 2013 at 08:25 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

First time I have ever heard an Q3 described as pretty wimpy, and no evidence to back that claim at all.

Markins added a QR lever and called it a traveller friendly product, I have had the older and more tactile one, less moving parts - for maybe 5 years. The grip is tenacious and never flinches, and good tripod technique makes it work very well indeed, even on longish lighter telephotos.

It laughs at 1500 grams or less in any configuration, even turned side on. I frequently shoot with loads at ~1450 grams. Now the Canon lens is 625g, the body is ~930 = easy enough, 1800 grams is my limit with this one. And really wind gusts, failure to anchor the pod and using the column etc. are more damaging.

Q3 is 375 grams, Q10 is 507 grams, or 35% heavier. And larger. It adds up sadly.

Jun 01, 2013 at 08:34 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

I bought a Benro travel tripod and to my surprise, it came with a decent ballhead that accepts Arca Swiss style QR plates.

Update: Wow, I got really lucky. I bought one of these when they first came to the US and paid something like $150 for the carbon fiber travel model. Now, it's selling for over $400. Wow.

Jun 01, 2013 at 09:11 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

Markins own US site describes the Q3 as ideally matched to a series 1 tripod and small SLRs. Draw whatever conclusions you want from that, I guess. Maybe calling it wimpy was a stretch, but I'd pick the Q10 over it for a 5D3 personally. Plus, the Q3 I had had an irritating panning base that never quite locked. This is a common issue with them. I never had such a problem with the Q10.

bobbytan: For an OM-D I completely agree, Q3 is the one to buy. Either way, the Markins heads are great and we can agree on that.

Jun 01, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

itai195 wrote:

The Q3 IS NOT a pretty wimpy ballhead. It's about the strongest balhead you can get in that size/weight. I don't care about weight ratings for heads and tripods. But I'm sure that the Q3s 30kg rating will be good enough for the 5D2 camera.
I have the Q3 and also ballheads from RRS, Arca-Swiss & Gitzo. The BH-40 that you suggest instead is about the same as the Q3 when it comes to stability or using heavy cameras/lenses. I always use my Q3 with Canon series 1 bodies which are a lot more heavy than a 5D2. And lenses like 70-200/2,8 or 200/2 are no problem

Edited on Jun 02, 2013 at 01:45 AM · View previous versions

Jun 02, 2013 at 01:39 AM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · mirrorless/dslr ballhead help

part of the joy in using small mirrorless cameras is the lack of need of big heavy expensive tripods! For my m43 gear, I use this little Benro and love it!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=717667&is=REG&A=details&Q=

The little ballhead and QR system works fine. I use a tripod for m43 all the time because I love this little tripod.

Of course it would be worthless with your 5D, but has been said, you need to optimize for both cameras.

Jun 02, 2013 at 01:40 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.