Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

Mayur Bhatia

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

Yesterday I dropped my camera + lens, breaking the lens at the mounting ring. Now i'm looking for a replacement:

Camera: 60D
Lens : 17-40 f/4L (Broken ) , 50mm f/1.4

I loved the sharpness and the useful wide angle of the 17-40. The various options I've been thinking:

1. Get a 24-105 f/4L (used maybe?) and in the future a 70-300, or a 100-400
2. Another 17-40 and then a zoom later?

I've been leaning towards a 24-105, but am not sure on what other options to look for.

Jun 01, 2013 at 11:00 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

How about having the lens fixed since you like the lens much?

Jun 01, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Mayur Bhatia

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

That was one option, not sure on the possibility though. The glass did not break, but the body broke in 2 piece.

http://i.imgur.com/yWrOPJO.jpg

Jun 01, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

If you aren't a CPS member, now would be a good time to join. It will save you 30% on the repair, and it being a newer lens (2010), I'd definitely send in for repair! Even with the $100 CPS annual membership, you'll pay far less than to buy a used replacement lens.

I'm going to guesstimate that with the membership included, you could probably have CPS repair this for under $350, or half the price of a used 24-105L.

Join, and list the piece online to your account, then send it in for estimate. You should be a member if you own professional gear, anyway. (You get intro goodies that many people resell on eBay for near the price of membership!)

Jun 01, 2013 at 11:34 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

Although it looks bad but the lens is actually designed to break that way in a fall. Like Jim suggested, I would join CPS and get the repair discount. There are other perks that would make the membership fee worth while.

Jun 01, 2013 at 01:05 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

I've used the 24-105L, 17-40L and 17-55 EF-s f/2.8 IS. Hands down, the 17-55 wins...The 24-105 wasn't wide enough or fast enough, the 17-40 wasn't quite long enough, fast enough, and not IS...

Jun 01, 2013 at 01:28 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

Did you not have your gear insured??
For a small price annually this would be taken care of no cost

Karl

Jun 01, 2013 at 02:53 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

It's not really possible for us to recommend a walking-around lens for you, without knowing what your shooting style is.

When a crop body was my only camera, the 17-40 was the easy choice for a daily driver. On a FF, the 24-105 does that duty.

But on the same body, they're not interchangeable, obviously. 24 isn't very wide on a 1.6 crop.

Jun 01, 2013 at 09:37 PM
Mayur Bhatia

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions.

CPS = Canon Professional Services ?
Would they be able to give an estimate before I pay the $100?

Yes, just the body is completely broken at the mount, including the cable connectors. No damage to the actual glass or even filter.

No insurance on my gear, but now maybe I should get it.

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Mayur Bhatia

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

Looks like I don't have gear worth 20 points My gear adds up to about 16-18

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:44 AM
_SBS_
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

Just fib. You can change a number a bit and have 2 of the same lens, body, flash, whatever. Or look for serials on photos on ebay. They don't really check until you send something in, and then they check that 1 thing only to make sure its on your CPS account.

Jun 02, 2013 at 08:30 PM
marty bober
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

Get the lens fixed. This happened to me. Slipped on ice and my 16-35 broke in two pieces. Canon put the lens back together for around $159.00. Still have it and it works fine.....

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:25 PM
Lunchb0x8
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

Yea, I would get it fixed, otherwise, if you are intent on a new lens, I would look into the 16-35 F/2.8L or perhaps the EF-S 17-55 as it is a darn nice lens.

Jun 02, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Mayur Bhatia

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

_SBS_ wrote:
Just fib. You can change a number a bit and have 2 of the same lens, body, flash, whatever. Or look for serials on photos on ebay. They don't really check until you send something in, and then they check that 1 thing only to make sure its on your CPS account.

Thanks ;-)

Signed up, and hopefully I should get it shipped out tomorrow.

Jun 03, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

Lunchb0x8 wrote:
Yea, I would get it fixed, otherwise, if you are intent on a new lens, I would look into the 16-35 F/2.8L or perhaps the EF-S 17-55 as it is a darn nice lens.

+1

As per Reno's suggestion above the 17-55 is a great lens (and is one reason I see no need to drink the FF coolaid )

The lens is very repairable .(if you hunt on google you will see many like that) They are designed to 'snap' at that point . If you think about it the energy/force needed to break the lens has to go somewhere. So if the lens doesn't give then the mount on te body is what going to take the hit . And that's likely to result in both the lens and the body being damaged , and I would bet the mount on te body being damaged is going to write off the camera .

Jun 03, 2013 at 07:48 AM
Mayur Bhatia

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

Thanks for the help and suggestions folks. Got my estimate from CPS for the repair: $291 (+$100 membership) . Still cheaper than buying a new lens. Also took this opportunity to get my camera mirrors cleaned.

The lens should be back with me monday.

Jun 08, 2013 at 08:45 AM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

I just went to the CPS site and looks like you must "be in the business" to join. Too bad for me.

Jun 08, 2013 at 08:52 AM
Mayur Bhatia

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

CosmicCruiser wrote:
I just went to the CPS site and looks like you must "be in the business" to join. Too bad for me.

It can be a private business. You can register. You dont have to provide a company name, or company details.

Jun 08, 2013 at 09:26 AM
_SBS_
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

CPS use to check that you were a business and require you send documentation along with 2-3 tear sheets from work you have had published in the last year.

Now you dont have to send anything in and they dont check anything. You dont have to be a business at all, they wont check.

Jun 08, 2013 at 12:45 PM
drea111982

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Broken lens, suggestions for replacement?

Thanks for the CPS information. I am getting some new gear and knowing my luck, this membership will be something very helpful to have.

Feb 19, 2014 at 05:06 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.