Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Compact flash RAID

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Compact flash RAID

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/05/31/new-raid-compact-flash-card

Is it just me or does that seem pretty much pointless ?

When I first saw the article I thought (in the very first instance) thats quite clever . But then just thought how pointless .
I mean I can see that if your files are THAT criticle then a backup is a must . And that if a 'bad' write corrupts your file that could be a desaster (I've had file corruption a couple of times before) .

But :
If your fies are really that criticle your probably using a camera with 2 card slots so you can mirror those.

I bet by far the most common way to loose your data is loose the card they are on , so a lost card is still a lost card .

If your data is that criticle your not so worried about cost and will be prepared to use the best cards from good known brands , not cheap knockoffs that are more likely to loose your data .

If anyone out sees a reall need/use for these things then at least you know they exist so feel free to post as I'm always ready to learn

Jun 01, 2013 at 02:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Compact flash RAID

High geek factor. Limited real world app factor.

Too many failure options that are common and critical.

Edited on Jun 01, 2013 at 03:14 PM · View previous versions

Jun 01, 2013 at 03:13 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Compact flash RAID

Some of us are still shooting with cameras that have 1 CF slot... I haven't looked at the pricing if it's available yet -- or the speed of operation.

I would need to know if ALL the electronics are redundant. If anything is shared other than the pin holes, then there is a possible single point of failure.

I've had the possibility of the camera messing up as well. If that happens, then no amount of redundancy on the card is going to help.

Jun 01, 2013 at 03:14 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Compact flash RAID

Depends on price, but more geeky than useful i think. Most folk who really shoot "mission critical" will already have a dual card slot camera. The rest of us can live with the occasional failure.

Jun 01, 2013 at 03:43 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Compact flash RAID

dumb idea! its raid on the same physical device... Its usually the physical device that goes bad, so if the card is bad...raid or not...you lose the files on it. and RAID doesn't prevent against corruption

Jun 01, 2013 at 03:46 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Compact flash RAID

Bernie wrote:
Some of us are still shooting with cameras that have 1 CF slot... I haven't looked at the pricing if it's available yet -- or the speed of operation.

I would need to know if ALL the electronics are redundant. If anything is shared other than the pin holes, then there is a possible single point of failure.

I've had the possibility of the camera messing up as well. If that happens, then no amount of redundancy on the card is going to help.

I'm sporting a single slot body as well although my stuff isn't really 'mission critical' .

As it stands I don't see much use for the device , because of the things others have said above .
But what would be neat is to have a cf to micro SD adapter that could be told to send a raw to one card and a jpeg to the other (or indeed a duplicate raw file to both cards ) .
I'd be prepared to take the speed hit on my 7D for that sort of function . Infact at the moment I shoot to an SD card in an adapter so I can load the files into my iPad when I'm out . And there arnt that many times I really notice the speed hit enough to cause a problem .

Edited on Jun 02, 2013 at 08:20 AM · View previous versions

Jun 01, 2013 at 04:55 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Compact flash RAID

I bet there's enough space in a CF card to be both a memory card and a SDHC/MicroSD adapter, so you can have a duo card setup for single card cameras. Probably pointless too but we can never have too many geeky toys.

Jun 01, 2013 at 05:03 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Compact flash RAID

Oh yes we can. Especially when they start to get in the way the real objective.

Jun 01, 2013 at 08:50 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Compact flash RAID

15Bit wrote:
Depends on price, but more geeky than useful i think. Most folk who really shoot "mission critical" will already have a dual card slot camera. The rest of us can live with the occasional failure.

+1

the card is also very slow if it's aimed at pro's

Jun 01, 2013 at 09:28 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Compact flash RAID

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I'm sophoting a single slot body as well although my stuff isn't really 'mission critical' .

As it stands I don't see much use for the device , because of the things others have said above .
But what would be neat is to have a cf to micro SD adapter that could be told to send a raw to one card and a jpeg to the other (or indeed a duplicate raw file to both cards ) .
I'd be prepared to take the speed hit on my 7D for that sort of function . Infact at the moment
...Show more
What is "sophoting"?

Jun 01, 2013 at 09:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Compact flash RAID

I love when one brings in the fear and loathing factor of the single card. I don't know how I survived w/o them. That is even though mine are usually set for overflow

Jun 01, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Compact flash RAID

sjms wrote:
Oh yes we can. Especially when they start to get in the way the real objective.

What? The man with the most toys wins?

Jun 02, 2013 at 01:06 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Compact flash RAID

Just the ones he actually knows how to use

Jun 02, 2013 at 01:52 AM
pburke
• • •
p.1 #14 · Compact flash RAID

what is really not "RAID" is the speed drop when in mirror mode - true RAID is transparent and data is written simultaneously to two physical drives. This is one drive, one card, one point of failure, and all it does is write two copies to two "partitions" and it seems to do this sequentially. Kind of a fake RAID and not much extra protection

Jun 02, 2013 at 02:13 AM
irish-george
• •
p.1 #15 · Compact flash RAID

This seemed to make more sense, but didn't catch on either:
http://gizmodo.com/5302727/photofast-cr+7200-compactflash-adapter-runs-four-microsds-in-raid

Jun 02, 2013 at 02:43 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Compact flash RAID

Photofast never went beyond the sorta one hit wonder stage. After that it was arcane geek weirdness that was pretty much "look what we can do with this" type stuff

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:26 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Compact flash RAID

Strictly speaking, that isn't RAID, but whatever.

It certainly seems to have limited value, even for shooters with a single CF slot. CF is pretty robust, and write errors are pretty rare.

Jun 02, 2013 at 03:45 AM
MP79
• •
p.1 #18 · Compact flash RAID

The use of the term RAID (as it is commonly understood) with this product seems very misleading. If that's what they think RAID is, then I have a hard time even trusting the company's ability to produce a reliable product, let alone provide an acceptable level of customer support.

Imagine if a PC maker started doing this with a single HDD and two partitions and also calling it RAID. Would you want to do business with them? Nope, didn't think so.

Jun 05, 2013 at 03:47 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Compact flash RAID

The thing is that there is almost nothing that this card solves. Step through the areas where failures can happen:

1. Camera sends bad data to the card
2. Card writes bad data to the flash
3. Card data becomes corrupted
4. Physical drive failure

It appears this card is taking the data written to it, and replicating it over to another partition. So if the camera writes out bad data, the card still only gets one copy of the data and thus it doesn't fix #1. If the card writes bad data to the flash on the first write, it will replicate that same bad data to the second partition and thus doesn't fix #2. It's not two physical drives, so in case of a failure you're losing both logical partitions, so it doesn't fix #4.

The only thing it helps is a very limited subset of #3 where a small amount of card data gets corrupted after it's written, but the error is not enough to corrupt both copies of the file. That circumstance is so rare... I'm not sure I've ever heard of just a single file or a couple files getting corrupted, while the data is at rest on the camera.

I guess it protects against accidental deletion, but I'm not sure I need to halve my card size and write speeds to protect against my own stupidity. And, of course, the use of the term "RAID" is just going to enrage the people technical enough to understand it, since it's nothing close to a RAID.

Jun 05, 2013 at 04:05 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password