Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5D3 RAW Macro Video test

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D3 RAW Macro Video test

raw macro video test:

5D3 with 100L and Magic Lantern pre-alpha firmware (and tripod)

kinda cool to try something different than just stills

Jun 01, 2013 at 12:20 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D3 RAW Macro Video test

Excellent detail! Did you do any sharpening in post?

There is quite a bit of moire on the compound eyes of the dragon fly, but I suppose that is to be expected, even with raw video.

John

Jun 01, 2013 at 01:00 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D3 RAW Macro Video test

Look good but what is the advantage over normal video ?
Brian v.

Jun 01, 2013 at 01:09 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D3 RAW Macro Video test

LordV wrote:
Brian v.

Much more detail and much more dynamic range (and ability to adjust WB and such in post without the footage breaking to pieces). And ability to shoot 1:1 feed (the last bit where it went really tight on the dragon fly was recording the sensor at around 100% 1:1 view but just a 2MP window of it.

I don't know that this particular footage shows off RAW video all that much really, but it really can be radically better.

Jun 01, 2013 at 01:48 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D3 RAW Macro Video test

BluesWest wrote:
Excellent detail! Did you do any sharpening in post?

There is quite a bit of moire on the compound eyes of the dragon fly, but I suppose that is to be expected, even with raw video.

John

Thanks, a little basic in ACR and then just a light 6 to 8 with sharpen tool in Premiere Pro.

Yeah dragon fly eyes appear to show off moire like nothing else has, especially the last bit where I tested shooting it in 100% crop 1:1 mode where it basically just records a 2MP subsection of the 22MP frame as opposed to binning the entire 22MP sensor down to 2MP as normally, although even on the clip before you can still see the dragon fly shows of a trace of it.

I'd say RAW mode has a bit more moire and aliasing than the regular mode on the 5D3 but so much better micro-contrast and detail and so much more DR etc. and most of the time the aliasing and moire don't really show up in it much. The new RAW video from Magic Lantern usually looks remarkably better than recording through the Canon base firmware where it almost seems like marketing had them apply a Gaussian blur and DR chop filter . Remarkably more. In the special 1:1 mode it seems you will have to really watch for moire though.

Jun 01, 2013 at 01:52 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D3 RAW Macro Video test

LordV wrote:
Brian v.

This 100% crop of two frames one with RAW and with regular video shows some detail and DR differences:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7286/8742046520_18fc4c218e_o.jpg

Jun 01, 2013 at 02:09 AM
denis55
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D3 RAW Macro Video test

nice work.

Jun 01, 2013 at 05:55 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.